Sign in to follow this  
Fred Hsu

Geometric distortion in a triple-monitor setup for MSFS 2020

6 hours ago, Reedy said:

Which I have done in the NVidia control panel, yet it doesn't seem to work in game.

Did you choose the proper resolution in nVidia surround setup panel (the one with the highest horizontal resolution, taking into account the bezel correction)? You can check in nVidia setup panel if the correction works by putting some window across 2 displays. The same resolution you have to choose in the sim. 

• Like 1

You sir are a live saver, thankyou so much for that! I've been using 5760x1080 forever and figured it was working but that was just because all the racing games I play do their own Bezel correction!

Now, onto the heavily distorted peripheral vision! Please fix this!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jetman67 said:

Isn't track IR pause there, 

I am not 100% sure I know what you are asking. I think you were asking whether TrackIR was on 'pause' on the picture I showed. 

That was not one picture, but two separate pictures I stacked together for comparison. You can see the TrackIR sensor on the second picture. But it's cut off from the top one. In the actual article you can see TrackIR in at least half of illustrations. Sometimes it's on (green LEDs), and sometimes on pause (red LEDs). Sometimes it is even turned off - I fired up the game a few times during the course of writing that article just to get screenshots - I did not bother to run TrackIR at all sometimes.

There is a big issue using TrackIR right now in MSFS 2020. It doesn't have a command to pause TrackIR input in app, like XP11 does. If you instead bind 'pause' to a button within TrackIR, it may appear to work in MSFS. But after 10 seconds of zero TrackIR input, MSFS will change cockpit view back to the default pilot view.

My personal workaround for this is: 1) bind pause within TrackIR to the 'push' function of the slew control on Thrustmaster Warhog Throttle. Bind the same push action in MSFS to 'Save Custom Camera View 0'. I then bind slew control up and left both to 'Load Custom Camera View 0'. This allows me to almost get the effect I need.

FYI.  The Lens Correction just adds a very slight zoom.  You can see it applied when you hit "save".  Many people apply a light zoom in the camera settings to reduce the Fish-Eye slightly when in the cockpit.

• Like 2

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

On 8/27/2020 at 4:25 PM, smoothchat said:

FYI.  The Lens Correction just adds a very slight zoom.  You can see it applied when you hit "save".  Many people apply a light zoom in the camera settings to reduce the Fish-Eye slightly when in the cockpit.

Cool. I thought it did nothing. But I just didn't look carefully enough. I'll see if it does anything in External View as well.

Here is an illustration of the distortions you can expect to see in the External View with triple monitors. I merely flew a tight circle above Governors Island, so the plane never left a small patch in the middle of the island. Every building from across the water that come into and left from the view have not really changes in relative distance (to the pilot). Yet they changed in size drastically, tracked by circles of various colors.

msfs2020-geometric-distortions-external-

Within the cockpit, the distortion seems a tiny bit less severe. But if you fly a tight circle with high banking angle, you will see the ground retreat forward on your side monitor, even as you fly forward. This is an illusion caused by the distortion of course. It appears that you are flying backward, if you stare only at the window closer to the ground.

Not seeing much movement from the developers in their roadmap on this issue. I think we're gonna have to be extremely patient with this one. After all the number of people who run true triple screen setups these days is extremely small. Even if it's common as hell in Racing/Flight Sim communities.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/september-3rd-2020-development-update/?fbclid=IwAR0p-pyEI7uo4Mhb0K3JshPvUG8Iw-YS_MSeSjudD4XDlfX2wjgeFEYpxqM

Voted, along with getting rid of press any key to start.

A big problem here is that the number of people who use monitor arrays is relatively small, especially since this game has brought a huge number of newer players into the space, not many of them use proper cockpits.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP about this issue.  Triple Screen support would be very awesome.

Before Covid, I was working on full surround Flight Simulator project for an educational foundation.  We were just getting ready to buy the hardware when Covid hit.  The plan was to use X-Plane 11/Vulkan and 3 4k Projectors.  X-plane supports rendering separate monitors(as does DCS).  The clients had asked about MSFS 2020 because it looked so awesome.  It was not released yet and didn't even mention multi-monitor support, so I told them it was not even a choice at that point.  And it was new, and we can't plan a project on an untested, unreleased platform.  

But now, it's released and tested and would look for a viable option, if only it had multi-monitor support...

On my triple screen setup I also have the screen stretched on the sides on my nVidia Surround.  And recently the popup message are (Like Load/Save mission.. and others like it) are totally stretched out of proportion..