Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How well does TrackIR work in the new sim?

I love TrackIR5. I find that it works great with MSFS.

Actually,  as beautiful as MSFS is, I would find it hard to fly in without my trusty TrackIR.

I have a Rift S also, but haven't tried it yet with MSFS.

• Like 1

My only concern is how will TrackIR perform with frame rates around 18-30fps? I know that in P3D, in order to get good performance, your frame should at least be 30 or above.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just now, captain420 said:

My only concern is how will TrackIR perform with frame rates around 18-30fps? I know that in P3D, in order to get good performance, your frame should at least be 30 or above.

I would think that would be true of any sim or game that only gets frames of 18-30.  I have had zero issues with track IR in MSFS so far, but as a fair point, I think that's down to the performance.  my FPS are locked at 60, and so far, unless I get onto an enormous city it stays pegged at 60 (1080p res. mostly ultra settings)

the one thing I really like, but others might think as a drawback if you aren't watching, is that you can still use your camera controls when Track IR is on.  so I can move my hat up to the overhead panel for example, and do my head motion from there, rather than holding my head in a strange fashion just to keep looking there.  of course you have to remember to reset your view, but I like the implementation over p3d just for that alone.  YMMV

• Like 3

Even though I get 40-50 FPS the TrackIr movements are very stuttery. In P3D, with the same FPS, the movements are smooth and, how would I describe it, in real-time, but in MSFS I get stutters when looking around and the movements itself lag a little. Anybody else have the same experience?

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 2:32 PM, captain420 said:

I would have to mount it up pretty high. Hopefully that doesn't effect the overall movement that it will give me.

this is why mine is un-usable...sad.  its like its designed for people with small monitors,  I get it, it needs to be the same height as the sensors on your head.  mine is about a 35 degree difference.  i have even tried aiming it downwards.  it doesnt track me looking down hardly at all, maybe 5 to 10 degrees down.

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

54 minutes ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Even though I get 40-50 FPS the TrackIr movements are very stuttery. In P3D, with the same FPS, the movements are smooth and, how would I describe it, in real-time, but in MSFS I get stutters when looking around and the movements itself lag a little. Anybody else have the same experience?

I have the same problems with my frames locked at 31 in MFS very stuttery, In DCS completely smooth

I quit using Track IR in MFS .The combination of saved views and the 8 position POV on my TWCS Throttle provide me great situational awareness

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

My "little tv" sits about 15 degress up from my headset (which the reflectors are attached to), maybe 3-4 feet away.  I haven't had any issue with it - I just bought it for this sim setup and wonder how I ever lived without it, I absolutely love it.

It's handy to keep in mind that F9 will toggle tracking on/off, and F12 will re-center the view.  I use both when I need to hone in on something on the panel (or if you prefer, during external view, etc.).  The two key shortcuts are easy to remember and hit when needed, I haven't found it to be an inconvenience at all.

I haven't tried any other trackers and haven't used TrackIR anywhere except FS2020, but it's smooth as can be and once I realized the F9/F12 shortcuts, it's perfect.  The only slightly tricky part was finding out I had to "Update" in the TrackIR software after installing to get the sim to pick up on it, but after that it was smooth sailing.

• Like 1

Opentrack, leds and ps3eye, best money ever saved, it makes sims much much more enjoyable!

• Upvote 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

It works perfectly,   To configure it properly, 

1)Open the TIR software. 

2)Sit comfortably centered in your flying position, directly facing the center of your monitor

3)Press the Re-center key you bound in the TIR software to recenter your TIR,   and without moving your head focus your eyes on the camera box on the top right of the TIR app and make sure your camera is physically centered,  horizontally and vertically,  with the target.   

With the TrackClip Pro the camera should not be positioned in the center of your monitor,  but rather it should be offset to the side so it sits directly in front of the track clip leds and faces them directly.

Without a TCP and when using the reflectors instead,   position the camera in the exact center of your monitor and adjust the camera so the reflectors are centered vertically in the TIR software.  If the camera is not positioned properly the function will be erratic.

Next, you may have to adjust the individual axis sensitivities to match the size of your screen/seating distance,  in order to achieve the correct response curve.   Stare straight ahead at the center of your screen and hit the recenter button.    Look at the numbered grid in the main TIR window and your position should be at zero.

Once zeroed, look to the left and right and see how many degrees of yaw you achieve on the TIR grid.   You should not  have to turn your head so far that your eyes leave the boundary of the monitor,  and you should be able to reach 180 degrees of yaw in either direction without doing so.

When the yaw axis is tweaked properly you will have smooth 360 movement.

Next,  repeat the same steps for the pitch axis.   You should be able to smoothly and precisely look 90 degrees up or down without your eyes leaving the border of the monitor.

Next you can tune the Z - Axis,  which simulates your face moving closer or farther from the panel,   or the x -Aixs,   which simulates "sliding" your head to the side like when you move your shoulders up against the door to put your head out of a cockpit window.

6 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

I had exactly the same issue, I found the stutter was worse when the dials are in shot. Looking outside the windows etc it was much smoother. Maybe it's something to do with the refresh rate of the panels? And thats with me in a test flight hitting 70 fps on the ground.

Track IR works perfectly apart from the 10 second resetting of the head view  when you pause Track IR - but that's no big deal. Iv'e paused it because something bigger is going on that I need to fix.

So, Track IR - 10/10.

I can't imagine how it would have been if there was no support for it out of the box.

I certainly wouldn't be flying like I like.

Same profile, same results* as FSX. P3Dv1 through 5 and now MSFS.

* Perfect. 🙂

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Does this work better than Smooth track?  I have that on my Android and am curious if a dedicated unit like track ir is smoother or more precise.