Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

One more time.. Weather conditions from cockpit?

It's been asked, but I haven't found the answer...

If I'm in the cockpit, how can I get a wind direction, speed, barometric, cloud etc. in the simulator?

(Secondary question.. how do you adjust the barometric pressure on the G1000?)

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Tuning an atis is not convenient...

It's how it's don irl but it only works if you know the correct nearby frequencies. Plus it adds workload.

Looking at the grass where there isn't any atis nearby isn't a solution either, nor a windsock where there is none. Those are real-world alternatives.

The red text bar allowed cross-check with the instruments, flying with the radio off and debugging new software for parameters as altitude and meteo readings.

It was a nice thing to have and should have been present in MSFS. 

If the user wanted he could have the information displayed, otherwise it could be left off for the purists... 

It was convinient and we need tools since we're in a simulated environment!

18 minutes ago, odourboy said:

It's been asked, but I haven't found the answer...

If I'm in the cockpit, how can I get a wind direction, speed, barometric, cloud etc. in the simulator?

(Secondary question.. how do you adjust the barometric pressure on the G1000?)

If you go to the in-sim menu at the top of the screen and click the cloud, you can see the sea level pressure even if on live weather, but not winds...

For winds, you can use a bit of a cheat that's built in to the avionics. Normally, the G1000 (and others) can only tell you current winds if the plane is in flight, however it also works on the ground in MSFS2020.

On the G1000 PFD, there are a series of buttons along the bottom, with 'soft key' labels. One of them says 'PFD' - click the button under PFD

That will bring up a new set of 'soft keys' - one of them is WIND. Click that and then a third set of 'soft keys' appears and you can choose a wind display option. If you choose Option 3, you'll get a display for wind direction and speed on the PFD.  Now when you're in the air, that will give you the wind at altitude, not on the ground. For that, as others have mentioned, you'll need to tune ATIS from the ATC menu.

Beware, at least in the US, this has not proven to be reliable. I'm sitting at an airport with 3 kts wind according to the windsock and the PFD, but ATIS is telling me the wind is 36 knots.  So...

Oh, and on the baro question, it is the third knob down on the right side of the PFD in the G1000. Labeled CRS/BARO. The inner knob is the CRS knob and the outer is the BARO knob.

Also, also, you can just hit 'B' on the keyboard to set the right baro in any plane. This kills two birds with one stone. You get the baro setting and it sets it for you...I just use that.

Edited by cwburnett
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

39 minutes ago, Troyair One said:

Tune the Comm radio to ATIS.

Have you actuslly done this successfully in MSFS? I don't know about other airports, but theres no ATIS frequency listed for KSFO (my 'home' airport). It's not available in ATC that I've found. Further, I went outside the sim and found the ATIS frequency from a real airport chart... entered it on my Comm radio and nada.

My main interest is so I can check conditions at a destination airport when starting descent. Butbi alwsys like a full report for departure too.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

1 minute ago, odourboy said:

Have you actuslly done this successfully in MSFS? I don't know about other airports, but theres no ATIS frequency listed for KSFO (my 'home' airport). It's not available in ATC that I've found. Further, I went outside the sim and found the ATIS frequency from a real airport chart... entered it on my Comm radio and nada.

My main interest is so I can check conditions at a destination airport when starting descent. Butbi alwsys like a full report for departure too.

This is for your home airport weather or any other airport in US

https://www.aviationweather.gov/

This is for KSFO or any other airport in US

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KSFO

Finally this is for your charts

https://skyvector.com/

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

8 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Does not mean it's going to match what the Sim is doing, really needs to be derived from what live weather is using in the Sim

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

8 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

That's all nice and dandy, but it would be nice to be able to check the actual conditions of the live weather in the sim to check whether it adds up to the real world.

This morning I took off from Avalon in Australia, checked the Metar online first, only to find that the ATIS in the sim gave me different conditions. The cloud coverage looked more or less like the satelite forecast, but the Metar IRL reported OVC 8000 and there was no overcast layer to be seen in the sim.

15 minutes ago, odourboy said:

From the in-sim menu at the top, open the ATC menu, which is the control tower picture.

As you approach your destination, click the 'nearest airport list' and that should give you a list. 

Click the airport you want and then you should see the ability to tune tower or atis.

However, one isn't listed for KSFO. There is for HWD, SQL, OAK, etc.

So, I've submitted a ticket to zendesk. This is just missing for SFO.

In the meantime, KSQL is a good facsimile for what things are like at KSFO.

Edited by cwburnett
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

13 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

From the in-sim menu at the top, open the ATC menu, which is the control tower picture.

As you approach your destination, click the 'nearest airport list' and that should give you a list. 

Click the airport you want and then you should see the ability to tune tower or atis.

However, one isn't listed for KSFO. There is for HWD, SQL, OAK, etc.

So, I've submitted a ticket to zendesk. This is just missing for SFO.

In the meantime, KSQL is a good facsimile for what things are like at KSFO.

Thankyou! Very helpful on multiple fronts.

1 hour ago, Wolf0 said:

Tuning an atis is not convenient...

It's how it's don irl but it only works if you know the correct nearby frequencies. Plus it adds workload.

Looking at the grass where there isn't any atis nearby isn't a solution either, nor a windsock where there is none. Those are real-world alternatives.

The red text bar allowed cross-check with the instruments, flying with the radio off and debugging new software for parameters as altitude and meteo readings.

It was a nice thing to have and should have been present in MSFS. 

If the user wanted he could have the information displayed, otherwise it could be left off for the purists... 

It was convinient and we need tools since we're in a simulated environment!

You don't have to know the frequencies. Bring up the ATC window and select the nearest airport and hit the ATIS button.

1 minute ago, bonchie said:

You don't have to know the frequencies. Bring up the ATC window and select the nearest airport and hit the ATIS button.

Apparently there's a bug.  No ATIS for KSFO. (Which ironically is the airport they show on the splash screen during loading! )

27 minutes ago, Jetman67 said:

Does not mean it's going to match what the Sim is doing, really needs to be derived from what live weather is using in the Sim

It will once Asobo update nav database or Navigraph be able to update it

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Same question i was wondering, and in fact at san fran as the example.  Your in the plane on the runway, you click atc, but there is no atis option even for the current airport.  I think it does if you are approaching just not at.  I guess ill try the g1000 tip mentioned above.  EDIT: not seeing the button at the bottom mentioned to get at that info on the g1000 for some reason.  Update: see the pfd on the main screen, then option 1, 2 , 3, says no wind data (here testing rex live weather injection, which should be 23 knots, wind socks not moving), if i manually set the wind then the display does show up correctly.  I guess the wind socks dont move.

Edited by theskyisthelimit

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking: