Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

One more time.. Weather conditions from cockpit?

Recommended Posts

It's been asked, but I haven't found the answer...

If I'm in the cockpit, how can I get a wind direction, speed, barometric, cloud etc. in the simulator?

(Secondary question.. how do you adjust the barometric pressure on the G1000?)

  • Like 1

7700K@4.8 GHz - MSI Z270-A Pro - 4x8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3000 MHz - ZOTAC GTX 1080 TI @1683 MHz - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Saitek X-55 'Rhino', ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W10 Home 64 - MSFS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuning an atis is not convenient...

It's how it's don irl but it only works if you know the correct nearby frequencies. Plus it adds workload.

Looking at the grass where there isn't any atis nearby isn't a solution either, nor a windsock where there is none. Those are real-world alternatives.

The red text bar allowed cross-check with the instruments, flying with the radio off and debugging new software for parameters as altitude and meteo readings.

It was a nice thing to have and should have been present in MSFS. 

If the user wanted he could have the information displayed, otherwise it could be left off for the purists... 

It was convinient and we need tools since we're in a simulated environment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, odourboy said:

It's been asked, but I haven't found the answer...

If I'm in the cockpit, how can I get a wind direction, speed, barometric, cloud etc. in the simulator?

(Secondary question.. how do you adjust the barometric pressure on the G1000?)

If you go to the in-sim menu at the top of the screen and click the cloud, you can see the sea level pressure even if on live weather, but not winds...

For winds, you can use a bit of a cheat that's built in to the avionics. Normally, the G1000 (and others) can only tell you current winds if the plane is in flight, however it also works on the ground in MSFS2020.

On the G1000 PFD, there are a series of buttons along the bottom, with 'soft key' labels. One of them says 'PFD' - click the button under PFD

That will bring up a new set of 'soft keys' - one of them is WIND. Click that and then a third set of 'soft keys' appears and you can choose a wind display option. If you choose Option 3, you'll get a display for wind direction and speed on the PFD.  Now when you're in the air, that will give you the wind at altitude, not on the ground. For that, as others have mentioned, you'll need to tune ATIS from the ATC menu.

Beware, at least in the US, this has not proven to be reliable. I'm sitting at an airport with 3 kts wind according to the windsock and the PFD, but ATIS is telling me the wind is 36 knots.  So...

Oh, and on the baro question, it is the third knob down on the right side of the PFD in the G1000. Labeled CRS/BARO. The inner knob is the CRS knob and the outer is the BARO knob.

Also, also, you can just hit 'B' on the keyboard to set the right baro in any plane. This kills two birds with one stone. You get the baro setting and it sets it for you...I just use that.

Edited by cwburnett
  • Upvote 1

Chris Burnett

i9 9900K @ 5Ghz | Radeon RX 6800 | 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz | 2 x M.2 Gen 3x4 1TB SSDs + 1 x SATA 1TB SSD
Honeycomb Alpha Yoke | Honeycomb Bravo Throttle | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Troyair One said:

Tune the Comm radio to ATIS.

Have you actuslly done this successfully in MSFS? I don't know about other airports, but theres no ATIS frequency listed for KSFO (my 'home' airport). It's not available in ATC that I've found. Further, I went outside the sim and found the ATIS frequency from a real airport chart... entered it on my Comm radio and nada.

My main interest is so I can check conditions at a destination airport when starting descent. Butbi alwsys like a full report for departure too.


7700K@4.8 GHz - MSI Z270-A Pro - 4x8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3000 MHz - ZOTAC GTX 1080 TI @1683 MHz - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Saitek X-55 'Rhino', ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W10 Home 64 - MSFS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, odourboy said:

Have you actuslly done this successfully in MSFS? I don't know about other airports, but theres no ATIS frequency listed for KSFO (my 'home' airport). It's not available in ATC that I've found. Further, I went outside the sim and found the ATIS frequency from a real airport chart... entered it on my Comm radio and nada.

My main interest is so I can check conditions at a destination airport when starting descent. Butbi alwsys like a full report for departure too.

This is for your home airport weather or any other airport in US

https://www.aviationweather.gov/

 

This is for KSFO or any other airport in US

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KSFO

 

Finally this is for your charts

https://skyvector.com/

  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

This is for your home airport weather or any other airport in US

https://www.aviationweather.gov/

 

This is for KSFO or any other airport in US

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KSFO

 

Finally this is for your charts

https://skyvector.com/

Does not mean it's going to match what the Sim is doing, really needs to be derived from what live weather is using in the Sim


Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

This is for your home airport weather or any other airport in US

https://www.aviationweather.gov/

 

This is for KSFO or any other airport in US

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KSFO

 

Finally this is for your charts

https://skyvector.com/

That's all nice and dandy, but it would be nice to be able to check the actual conditions of the live weather in the sim to check whether it adds up to the real world.

This morning I took off from Avalon in Australia, checked the Metar online first, only to find that the ATIS in the sim gave me different conditions. The cloud coverage looked more or less like the satelite forecast, but the Metar IRL reported OVC 8000 and there was no overcast layer to be seen in the sim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, odourboy said:

Have you actuslly done this successfully in MSFS? I don't know about other airports, but theres no ATIS frequency listed for KSFO (my 'home' airport). It's not available in ATC that I've found. Further, I went outside the sim and found the ATIS frequency from a real airport chart... entered it on my Comm radio and nada.

My main interest is so I can check conditions at a destination airport when starting descent. Butbi alwsys like a full report for departure too.

From the in-sim menu at the top, open the ATC menu, which is the control tower picture.

As you approach your destination, click the 'nearest airport list' and that should give you a list. 

Click the airport you want and then you should see the ability to tune tower or atis.

However, one isn't listed for KSFO. There is for HWD, SQL, OAK, etc.

So, I've submitted a ticket to zendesk. This is just missing for SFO.

In the meantime, KSQL is a good facsimile for what things are like at KSFO.

 

Edited by cwburnett
  • Upvote 1

Chris Burnett

i9 9900K @ 5Ghz | Radeon RX 6800 | 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz | 2 x M.2 Gen 3x4 1TB SSDs + 1 x SATA 1TB SSD
Honeycomb Alpha Yoke | Honeycomb Bravo Throttle | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

From the in-sim menu at the top, open the ATC menu, which is the control tower picture.

As you approach your destination, click the 'nearest airport list' and that should give you a list. 

Click the airport you want and then you should see the ability to tune tower or atis.

However, one isn't listed for KSFO. There is for HWD, SQL, OAK, etc.

So, I've submitted a ticket to zendesk. This is just missing for SFO.

In the meantime, KSQL is a good facsimile for what things are like at KSFO.

 

Thankyou! Very helpful on multiple fronts.


7700K@4.8 GHz - MSI Z270-A Pro - 4x8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3000 MHz - ZOTAC GTX 1080 TI @1683 MHz - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Saitek X-55 'Rhino', ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W10 Home 64 - MSFS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wolf0 said:

Tuning an atis is not convenient...

It's how it's don irl but it only works if you know the correct nearby frequencies. Plus it adds workload.

Looking at the grass where there isn't any atis nearby isn't a solution either, nor a windsock where there is none. Those are real-world alternatives.

The red text bar allowed cross-check with the instruments, flying with the radio off and debugging new software for parameters as altitude and meteo readings.

It was a nice thing to have and should have been present in MSFS. 

If the user wanted he could have the information displayed, otherwise it could be left off for the purists... 

It was convinient and we need tools since we're in a simulated environment!

You don't have to know the frequencies. Bring up the ATC window and select the nearest airport and hit the ATIS button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bonchie said:

You don't have to know the frequencies. Bring up the ATC window and select the nearest airport and hit the ATIS button.

Apparently there's a bug.  No ATIS for KSFO. (Which ironically is the airport they show on the splash screen during loading! )


7700K@4.8 GHz - MSI Z270-A Pro - 4x8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3000 MHz - ZOTAC GTX 1080 TI @1683 MHz - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Saitek X-55 'Rhino', ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W10 Home 64 - MSFS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jetman67 said:

Does not mean it's going to match what the Sim is doing, really needs to be derived from what live weather is using in the Sim

It will once Asobo update nav database or Navigraph be able to update it


flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same question i was wondering, and in fact at san fran as the example.  Your in the plane on the runway, you click atc, but there is no atis option even for the current airport.  I think it does if you are approaching just not at.  I guess ill try the g1000 tip mentioned above.  EDIT: not seeing the button at the bottom mentioned to get at that info on the g1000 for some reason.  Update: see the pfd on the main screen, then option 1, 2 , 3, says no wind data (here testing rex live weather injection, which should be 23 knots, wind socks not moving), if i manually set the wind then the display does show up correctly.  I guess the wind socks dont move.

Edited by theskyisthelimit

P3D Settings (GEX, UTX, Vector, FTX, REX)

P3D v3.3 VR thread; XP11 SMP vs Default vs XE(video)

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370; 850watt Seasonic psu; SL Delid 8700k 5.1 at 1.39 and avx-1; F4-3200C15D-32GTZ @1.41 and 3400; TT 3.0 Riing Ultimate Water-64C Prime95B(24c ambient)-70c normally; Thermaltake v51 Case; Evga 1080FTW Hybrid Water; VR-Rift/Vive;

Flight-Stew | Tech-Stew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...