Sign in to follow this  
chris_cantrell_07

CH controls nowhere to be seen in MSFS 2020

On 8/26/2020 at 5:35 PM, vgbaron said:

Looks like you have a bunch of different things going on. I have CH yoke, TQ, Rudders and a saitek X55 all connected and working just fine.

Firstly you need to get all your devices showing up in msfs2020 - if one or more is not showing up, nothing will work right.

Next, you cannot have the same axis assigned to two different controllers, meaning that if you assign the throttle, prop and mixture on your yoke and also assign the throttles, etc on the TQ - you will have problems.  This is how to resolve THAT problem:

Also check that you do not have your USB ports set to power down when idle.

Vic

Okay! I'm a bit ahead of you, but still no joy! I gave up trying to use the quad without the Control Manager. The Win10 calibration was a joke! I re-installed it, moved my quad to a USB 2.0 connection, recalibrated it with the Manager (everything worked perfectly), and then went to FS2020.

I did exactly what was suggested here - I created an "Empty" profile for my X-56 throttles (no programming of anything), and went to the quad to set it up. The axes seemed to work fine, and when I went to program the switches (axis and front panel), they showed up in my profile with their number. However, when I went and tried to use one, the profile didn't light up the chosen switch - none of them seemed to be active. To be sure, I launched the C152, and tried clicking on one of the controls (flaps, on the first front switch) - nothing. Tried all of them, nothing worked. The axes were working seemingly fine, but no switches.

So now I'm back to my X-56, having made an "Empty" profile for my Quad. The quad works perfectly in FSX/SE and DCS, so I know it's not the controller. What else can I try?

BTW, all of my controllers are showing up - X-56 throttle, X-56 stick, CH throttle, both Cougar MFDs, Orbweaver, X-Box controller, TrackIR, and of course keyboard and mouse.

Edited by gpbarth

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I am also having the same problem since yesterday. I have a CH Flightsim Pro yoke, CH pedals and Saitek quadrant installed. CH yoke and Pedals were manually configured and all were working fine till yesterday. Since then, all of a sudden, no commands from any of the controllers seem to work even though the camera control buttons on the CH yoke including the hat switch are still perfect. Did a reset in the settings menu as suggested here but no luck. It seems there is a software issue with MSFS itself probably from a micro update or something.

vk,

Try unplugging and re-plugging your USB cables from the computer. I have to to that occasionally before my CH Pro Yoke will work again.

I suspect that I'm going to have to dig into the Win10 settings and disable the USB ports from powering down when the computer enters a "sleep mode."

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

24 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I suspect that I'm going to have to dig into the Win10 settings and disable the USB ports from powering down when the computer enters a "sleep mode."

Yup!  First thing I do on any new system. It's great for laptops but, IMHO, causes more problems than it's worth.

Vic

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have the CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudders. They are all seen and all but the throttle I believe to be functioning correctly. The throttle has a 4 to 5 second delay and only seems to go from idle to full throttle and back.

Still new to MSFS 2020 and need to test more. Been around flight sims since 92'.

37 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Try unplugging and re-plugging your USB cables from the computer. I have to to that occasionally before my CH Pro Yoke will work again.

Thank you very much for the valuable suggestion. But I had already tried that. Even that was not helping. As was expected, MSFS crashed then and on restarting, the problem was still there.

I got my CH Flight Stick working as it should however its still practically unusable.  Its way over sensitive and trying to control the airplane is virtually impossible.  I tried turning down the sensitivity but it did not help much.

Also I am not sure but when I bank left or right and pitch up and down the elevators and ailerons don't center.  At least sitting on the runway they don't.  This would explain why its uncontrollable partially.  I don't see the way to program a center point into the joystick.

Its pretty stupid and M$ should fix ASAP.  I am not going to go blow $500 on new control hardware that happens to work!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, longhaul747 said:

Also I am not sure but when I bank left or right and pitch up and down the elevators and ailerons don't center.  At least sitting on the runway they don't.

Joystick (and yoke for that matter) depend on springs to re-center to neutral. The springs grow weak over time, so you may need to make some adjustments to tighten them up, or perhaps replace them with industrial strength rubber bands!

I take my CH Pro Yoke apart once each year to apply graphite to all of the pivot points as well as the shaft. The powdered graphite won't affect the plastic parts like even sewing machine oil would.

You can also try setting up a larger 'dead zone' for both pitch and roll to compensate for weak springs.

Fr. Bill    

5 hours ago, n4gix said:

I wondered what you were talking about, as I never heard of the USB ports shutting down before. But then I realized that my gaming machine never goes into "Sleep" mode. I've got it set up so that it never even goes into Screen Saver mode. I reboot it every few days, and turn off the monitor when I'm not using it, but it runs 24/7365 otherwise!

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

4 minutes ago, gpbarth said:

I reboot it every few days, and turn off the monitor when I'm not using it, but it runs 24/7365 otherwise!

That's what I do as well. Mostly it is a habit from the ancient past when it actually was harder on the lifetime to be turning computers on/off constantly rather than just letting them run. 😎

Fr. Bill    

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Joystick (and yoke for that matter) depend on springs to re-center to neutral. The springs grow weak over time, so you may need to make some adjustments to tighten them up, or perhaps replace them with industrial strength rubber bands!

I take my CH Pro Yoke apart once each year to apply graphite to all of the pivot points as well as the shaft. The powdered graphite won't affect the plastic parts like even sewing machine oil would.

You can also try setting up a larger 'dead zone' for both pitch and roll to compensate for weak springs.

Is there a good tutorial or video for this cleaning procedure?  Have same 'centering' issue (among others) and would be great to at least try cleaning to see if it helps...

Thanks!

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Finally I managed to get the controls working again this time ( not sure for how long). I had reset the controls to default and saved. Once the sim was resumed , all controls were back as programmed!

Not sure if my information is useful here but there is a small chance this could also have an impact on FS so I’ll share it. 

Are any of you using the FS Steam version? I have X-Plane via Steam and none of my (very old) CH controllers where available there. Only my X-Box gamepad showed up. This was caused by the Steam App Controller settings. I had to remove ’Generic gamepad support’ in Steam, after that my controllers showed up. 

So it couldn’t hurt to look into Steam gamepad settings.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

13 hours ago, n4gix said:

My 10 year old CH Flight stick can certainly use a good cleaning and a lube job.  I would not be surprised if the springs could use a bit more tension.  Never really thought about it and it works as good as always.  Here soon I will take the base plate off the bottom and see what I can do with it!

However at the moment I don't think its a mechanical issue with the joystick since it works 100% fine in P3D and FSX.  I also use it for another game and it works fine.  I just don't think the joystick controls have been refined in FS2020 in anything other then a select list of controllers.  Hopefully it gets fixed in an upcoming patch!

13 hours ago, Flyfaster said:

Is there a good tutorial or video for this cleaning procedure?  Have same 'centering' issue (among others) and would be great to at least try cleaning to see if it helps...

Thanks!

Not about cleaning, but there are several videos that show how to disassemble and replace the springs with rubber bands for smoother and lighter touch. As far as lubrication, use either dry graphite powder, or graphite grease on all moving surfaces and pivot points.

Be sure to watch the 2nd video by the same person. It should appear after a brief 'commercial.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmKrffu4QlU

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill