Sign in to follow this  
JETPETER2

“ failure to read file “ error and CTD

Anyone get this beauty ? Happens randomly on extended flights ( non local ) ... on SSD external too so wondering if we can’t use portable SSD for this sim or just a bug that’s early on in FS2020 life ....

Hello,

i have the exact same error and subsequent CTD. i have had this for a long time now and have no idea how to fix it. i have tried many things but nothing seems to work.

it doesnt seem to be related to settings in the sim. i also am suspicious that it may be to using an external HD that i bought just for this sim.'

i would really love to get some advise as at the moment i can only get 5-15 minutes ought of this wonderful looking and performing sim.

i have just made a major investment to upgrade my computer so that MSFS now recognizes it as a "HIGH end to ULTRA" machine, but still have the same problem as i did when it was a mid-level computer. both versions though i am using the same brand new external HD (Samsung T7 2tb)

David Myers

FINALLY! Problem solved, at least for me.

i had a setting wrong in the external hard drive's properties.

I have a brand new Samsung T7 2Tb external hard drive that i bought just for MSFS.

if you go into Device Manager / Disk Drives / Samsung T7 HHD (for me), then right click for properties.

under the "policies" tab, i changed to "Better Performance" in the top section and then clicked on "enable write caching on this device" on the lower section.

i had never gone more than 15-25 minutes without crashing or the "unable to read file..." error.

tonight i was in the sim for several hours with no CTD's

fingers crossed, but looks like heaven now

Edited by av8r13

David Myers