Sign in to follow this  
Sky_Dancer

Bush trip confusion

No gps or AP in the cub (I get more than twice FPS than in the 172 😂).

Completed first 3 legs of the north america trip.

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

I'm eight legs in to the North American trip now. I think I'll eventually be able to fly it with out using the tracking feature but for now I'm just trying to complete it. Some of the grass strip airports are not easy to find at all. Also, if you stop mid leg and come back, the nav log descriptions and picture of the upcoming airport disappear. Surely a bug.

Just a quick thought on maintaining a heading with no gps to help you.....  If you pick a point on the horizon to head towards, as previously stated, you could easily get pushed way of course due to the wind. The trick is to pick a point on the horizon, and then pick a second landmark directly in line with it that lies between your plane and the horizon mark. Then, if you can keep the two lined up you are maintaining a constant course.

• Like 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

1 hour ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

Just a quick thought on maintaining a heading with no gps to help you.....  If you pick a point on the horizon to head towards, as previously stated, you could easily get pushed way of course due to the wind. The trick is to pick a point on the horizon, and then pick a second landmark directly in line with it that lies between your plane and the horizon mark. Then, if you can keep the two lined up you are maintaining a constant course.

Thanks for the tip. I'm finding that if I just maintain the general direction within a few degrees +/- that I end up where I need to be in the end. Think I said this already but I do wish that I could see the bigger external view compass with the numerical heading while in cockpit view. My old eyes don't do so well with the one on the panel. IIRC that sort of compass was available in both views on FSX. Seems to me they could add a toggle for it.

On 8/26/2020 at 5:32 AM, Sky_Dancer said:

Well, I decided to give it one more shot before going to bed and I'm happy to say I completed the first leg! I'm finding it tough to juggle the nav log and the timer while I fly but I got it done with some help from the "get me back on track" feature. Nav log seems to be a little cranky about scrolling and I get a little confused about what point I'm at and what heading to take next. I'm not always seeing the landmarks. Maybe I'm flying too high? Anyway the good news is that when I did have to use the track feature, my plane was never actually that far from where it should have been so I must be doing something right. If the Cub has any sort of GPS, I can't find it, I don't think it does.

Are you guys doing the American trip? I don't know about this one, but it seems to be the hardest. For the Greek one you have a G1000 GPS system and the Argentina one had a XCub with a nice touchscreen GPS as well. I am doing the Argentina one and I found how to use the buttons in the bottom of the panel to set GPS heading and altitude hold. You can even use the lazyman's "direct to" button to go directly to destination airport of each leg, but then it takes out all the fun of the VFR flight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neatfire1977 said:

Are you guys doing the American trip? I don't know about this one, but it seems to be the hardest. For the Greek one you have a G1000 GPS system and the Argentina one had a XCub with a nice touchscreen GPS as well. I am doing the Argentina one and I found how to use the buttons in the bottom of the panel to set GPS heading and altitude hold. You can even use the lazyman's "direct to" button to go directly to destination airport of each leg, but then it takes out all the fun of the VFR flight.

Yes, I'm doing the American trip. I'm now ten legs in and slowly but surely I've gotten a feel for how it works. I have not tried the others yet but I would think any plane with a GPS would make things easier. The Cub in the American trip has no such luxury. I have used the "Get back on track" button many times now so I won't be getting an achievement. Maybe after awhile I'll go back and try to fly it without assist for the achievement but honestly, right now I'm just focusing on finishing it.

I know this is an old post but I just purchased FS, switched over from XP, doing the Yosemite bush mission-it’s difficult to navigate that distance (like 856nm), with a compass & a map.  I tried that “back on track” feature which I thought would show your position in the VFR map like a GPS, but it doesn’t.  So I was left navigating by landmarks, which I wouldn’t mind if it was a much short distance & not a desert. Idk, maybe it’s me but this flight is proving very difficult.  

Unless I'm mixing up my bush trips, the legs are about 50 miles at most, aren't they? And most are about 30 miles? The problem I have (apart from one flight still refusing to register after all this time!) is making out the landing strips in the desert 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Biaggio said:

Idk, maybe it’s me but this flight is proving very difficult.  

It is just you. 😉 

1 hour ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

Unless I'm mixing up my bush trips, the legs are about 50 miles at most, aren't they? And most are about 30 miles? The problem I have (apart from one flight still refusing to register after all this time!) is making out the landing strips in the desert 😁

running lilnavmap in the back, not connected, solves this, you can pinpoint there where it is. and i find it fun to look at the map and compare with the view, roads etc.  also lilnavmaps has strips not in the sim, fun to vivist and find those.

i am pretty sure any bushpilot without gps has good papermaps with him.

Edited by wim123

6 hours ago, Farlis said:

It is just you. 😉 

Not fully, I've flown pre GPS in the past, headings & reference points, some things are actually bit more complicated in a sim, plus I need to get used to this program, I came over from years of XP.

8 hours ago, Anthony Biaggio said:

Not fully, I've flown pre GPS in the past, headings & reference points, some things are actually bit more complicated in a sim, plus I need to get used to this program, I came over from years of XP.

Which of the Bush trips are you flying? Has to be the ones Asobo made I feel sure? And it's a learning curve for all of us at first, no matter which sim you came from. You'll get used to it eventually. Main thing is to have fun while learning. I found the ones with the Savage Cub to be extremely long and not much fun for me. But everyone is different in that way. There are also a ton of FREE ones on flightsim.to also! Might could find some shorter ones to fly at first there!

Have fun! And fly all the sims you enjoy! Each has their purpose for me.

Also appears the last World Update V Nordics gave us about 5-6 new Bush Trips?

Edited by in2tech
  • Like 1

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ