Sign in to follow this  
Flying Fisherman

Opinions on the additional content of Premium vs Standard

I bought the Premium version, and certainly don't regret it. Yes there are issues, but i'm fully confident in time these will be sorted out.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

Concerning the price. The professional version of P3D is twice the price of MSFS 2020. And if you are a flight sim enthusiast and nothing more, this is the licence you should be buying. Of course no one does, but that is a different discussion.

The Flight Sim Labs A320 is more expensive than a whole Simulator (Premium Deluxe version). The PMDG (take your pick) Aircraft are the same price (base editions, not including expansion packs) as a whole new sim. If you compare what you are getting with the Premium Deluxe version of MSFS 2020 its an absolute steal. If you buy the Standard version I feel as if I'm picking the pockets of Microsoft.

If you compare the price of MSFS 2020 to other sims, or other expansions like premium study level aircraft, the game is worth every single penny, no matter what package you buy.  

Edited by Chris Dalby

Right now the premium content isn't the best, but all indications (angry comments in this forum aside) are that it will get fixed, and then it will be worth it. 

• Like 2

I did premium deluxe through the MS Store. I had two reasons for buying that version.

In the past, I have found that 3rd party developers tend to gravitate to the premium edition when creating their add ons. With FSX, for example, many developers started to use elements from Acceleration for their products. If you didn't have Acceleration, you couldn't use the addon. This can also go the opposite way and it did on some occasions, but from my experience, it was better to have all the bells and whistles.

I knew that it would take a while for payware aircraft to appear, so I thought the A320 and 787 could be good fill ins while I waited. The A320 is being modded in the same manner that the Zibo 737 was. I expected this, but I also expected it with the 787. Unfortunately, it sounds like the 787 can't be modified, because the files are encrypted. That was a big disappointment for me, but I'll get over it. 

• Like 1

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I bought the premium deluxe version, but to be honest, if I were to buy MSFS again I would go for standard. I have not used much of the premium content.

4 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

You say that now, and then in a year someone has this great zibo mod for the 787 😉 

Aren't the files encrypted making it impossible to modify? I feel like I have read the numerous times. I do hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Actually, the standard version is the best option in my humble opinion..i went for premium delux for the extra aircraft but honestly, most 3rd party add on products are likely much better aircraft and airport design the default aircraft which are are okay, but missing many features, however some default models are voluntairily being improved , especially on Github (such as free A320 flybywire mod...)

As for the enhanced airports..they are okay..but i don't fly out of them usually. I fly out of my home country airports..and trans tasman mostly..none of which aprat from sydney, are enhanced ...so i will have to buy 3rd party airport enhancements anyway ....

I feel my money for the deluxe enhanced version could have been better utilised with 3rd party products...

MSFS 2020 shows plenty of promise and i truely believe Asobo will eventually produce the ultimate experience in simulated flying..they have stated they are in it for the long haul..at least 10 years..

My 2 cents..

2 hours ago, duckbilled said:

Aren't the files encrypted making it impossible to modify? I feel like I have read the numerous times. I do hope I'm wrong.

I  suspect they are encrypted so people cannot just make a copy, rename it and whack it up on various sim downloads sites as a free download, effectively giving away all the deluxe aircraft and airports for free.

Presumably a commercial mod maker intending to put a product on the Microsoft in game store would have little trouble getting access.

In terms of user mods to mod things yourself, the encrypted files mean you have no template to start from.  If somehow you could work out the relevant parameters to modify and dropped files in the community folder maybe it would work - I have no idea if user mods in the community folder would effect these aircraft or just do nothing. Not my area.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

If they don't fix the premium deluxe aircraft so they are on par with xp11 and p3d defaults I'll be upset I spent $60 for nothing.

None of the extra airports where of a concern for me. 

MSFS, NaviGraph Charts & FMS, Pilot2ATC, FsHub
R5 3600X ,RTX 2060S, 32GB, SSD

8 hours ago, duckbilled said:

That's have been the paradigm so far,  but recently I heard people being able to modify premium content as well. And I think that MS will open things up further down the line. 

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I was gonna get the game in about 6 months but have pushed it back to a year. I will however be getting the premium deluxe too - just for the additional planes. Im not bothered about airport scenery as its never been a factor for me in all my sims. 

Down the line I think we will start to see very good mods for the Cessna bizzjet and the Dreamliner - the latter of which I think is waiting quietly in the background for its chance to shine 🙂

Stock X-Plane B737-800 got the Zibo love, stock MSFS A320 is getting the A320 Mod love and im sure many more will follow. 

Imagine buying the Standard then seeing all the cool realism mods and tweaks for planes that are in the Deluxe! I mean I know you can upgrade but why not just get em all right at the start 😀

I bought the premium deluxe because I wanted to contribute to the ASOBO dev team as well as show appreciation for their hard work to bring us a new sim.

As far as content, I had to have the 172 Steam Gauge edition, Corporate GA & Airliners are mostly OK but mods make them better, and I wanted as many enhanced airports as possible.

I've already bought a bunch of payware add-ons so my altruism continues. 😀

If you're a serious simmer, I would certainly consider the premium version, if not go with the least expensive option. There are plenty of free mods to keep you busy for years.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I tried out MSFS 2020 for a month with a Gamepass subscription. Cancelled my Gamepass and bought the Premium Deluxe Edition. Money well spent. 

• Like 1

There are three aircraft in the premium deluxe package that I fly a lot (can’t remember which level each is at):

- King Air

- Baron

- SR22

I’m satisfied with my purchase.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU