Sign in to follow this  
John Snyder Jr

787 Autopilot

Just tried a short flight from KAUS to KDFW, Boeing 787 using the autopilot. They've got a lot of work to do getting that autopilot right. Won't hold LNAV at all. But other than that the scenery and everything is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait till they get all the bugs worked out, this thing is going to be awesome, give it 6 months to a year. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

John Snyder Jr

Autopilot in the airliners is a mess. LNAV and especially VNAV dont work. 

In the GA planes with Garmin system the autopilot is ok. but still alot of work to do. 

But yea. Give it at least 6 month and many things will be fixed. 

I dont think the airliners will be much better thou. there is so much in the FMC missing and other things in the plane I just think they wont work on them so much. 

Waiting for PMDG to release thier stuff. 

19 minutes ago, mullvaden83 said:

Autopilot in the airliners is a mess. LNAV and especially VNAV dont work.

The Airbus does just fine with LNAV and VNAV.  Done several flights where the aircraft pointed went where I expected and commanded it to.  Some functions don't quite work the same as the real systems, but they will work. And the FMC, though missing a lot of functionality and extremely simplified, is quite serviceable to program and follow a reasonable flight plan.

320 Sim Pilot on Youtube, who is a real life Airbus pilot, has several videos showing how the MSFS Airbus works and points out which functions are not as they are in the real aircraft. But he has several flights successfully completed and they did not require massive work-arounds.

Edited by PurdueKev
  • Upvote 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

Just now, PurdueKev said:

The Airbus does just fine with LNAV and VNAV.  Done several flights where the aircraft pointed right where I expected it to.  And the FMC, though missing a lot of functionality and extremely simplified, is quite serviceable to program and follow a reasonable flight plan.

All right. I dont know much about Airbus systems. Ive mostly flown boeing since PMDG only makes Boeings. So Ill refrain: the 747 and 787 is a disaster. XD

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mullvaden83 said:

All right. I dont know much about Airbus systems. Ive mostly flown boeing since PMDG only makes Boeings. So Ill refrain: the 747 and 787 is a disaster. XD

Fair enough - I have not tried either of those yet.  My brain hurts if I switch back-and-forth between Airbus and Boeing systems too much LOL. 😃

• Like 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

Just now, PurdueKev said:

Fair enough - I have not tried either of those yet.  My brain hurts if I switch back-and-forth between Airbus and Boeing systems too much LOL. 😃

HAhaha same here. I like airbus but just dont understand the system. Its so diffrent to boeing.

• Like 1

About six months is all we got.I'm sure these

Guys have budget to work with and when it

Runs out its going to be left to third party and

Freeware to pick up the pieces

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bigsby said:

About six months is all we got.I'm sure these

Guys have budget to work with and when it

Runs out its going to be left to third party and

Freeware to pick up the pieces

Microsoft and Asobo have already said MSFS is planned to be a 10 year project.

• Like 1

Well if they have the aerospace engineers that designed the MAX-8 I think they have it down.😏

Intel I9 10900KF - ASUS 3080 TUF - ASUS ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming - 32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @ 6300

10 hours ago, YVRDXBLHR said:

Has anyone been able to engage AP to follow gps routing?

Yes in the C172 G1000, no problems.

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

10 hours ago, YVRDXBLHR said:

Has anyone been able to engage AP to follow gps routing?

Yes. in Baron, TBM, Cessna. No probs. 

VNAV is the big problem. 

Let me know 

On 8/24/2020 at 11:31 AM, B787Pilot3222 said:

How do you engage GPS routing on the 787?

Short Answer:

The LOC/FAC button near the Altitude control section should lock you to your FlightPlan's course.

Lemmie know if that doesn't work out for you, and I'll come back and give you the long answer!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DHX said:

Let me know 

Short Answer:

The LOC/FAC button near the Altitude control section should lock you to your FlightPlan's course.

Lemmie know if that doesn't work out for you, and I'll come back and give you the long answer!

It didn't work for me, do you mind if you can provide me a step by step?