Sign in to follow this  
macwino

FS 2020 won't recognize Xbox wireless game controller

Many in this forum indicate that the Xbox 360 Wireless Game Controller is great for controlling the drone. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get MSFS 2020 to recognize my Xbox 360 wireless Game Controller. I've tried many of the tips suggested in various forum threads involving problems recognizing controllers and nothing has helped. The most common suggestion I've seen has been to plug an unrecognized controller in when running FS 2020 while it's in setup mode. But for me this causes an immediate CTD.

My Xbox Controller is recognized in the Printers and Devices control panel and in Device Manager. It is recognized and works flawlessly in P3D v5 and XP11. It just isn't recognized by MSFS 2020. What's so odd is that my non-supported PFC yoke and TQ, and my MFG pedals, are recognized, but my Microsoft product isn't. Any thoughts on how I might remedy this problem will be appreciated.

Thanks, Robert

My first thing to try would be unplug all your other controllers except the gamepad and see if the game then detects it.

Do you happen to have another peripheral that uses Xinput such as a keyboard or side board that has analog input?

Also, do you happen to be using Steam and have Steam managing your Xbox controllers?

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Craigeaglefire, just did a little research. Hardwiring for me means buying a wired controller, which I can always do if necessary.

pmanhart, I'm not using Steam.

VeryBumpy, tried that to no avail.

Just now, macwino said:

Hardwiring for me means buying a wired controller, which I can always do if necessary.

i am using an official basic XBox controller wireless kit - but was still able to connect it hardwired via the port on the front.

I am getting a bit over my head here as I'm not very conversant with game controllers. The port on the front is where my Play & Charge Kit plugs in. I gather you're suggesting that I replace it with what I think I see on Amazon is an inexpensive USB charging cable for the Xbox 360. However, I would think they're essentially the same thing. But my Play & Charge Kit cable doesn't appear to carry data, because when I use it without the Wireless Receiver plugged in, the controller isn't recognized by the computer in the Printers & Devices control panel or in the Device Manager. Are you suggesting that the simple USB charging cable on Amazon will carry data? If so, then shouldn't my Play and Charge kit cable do so as well? Or am I all confused about how these cables are intended to work?

Thanks for your help.

31 minutes ago, macwino said:

I am getting a bit over my head here as I'm not very conversant with game controllers.

i have only ever used my XBox One wireless controller - that i can confirm did not work with MSFS in wireless mode - my particular controller did work in hardwired mode with MSFS.

Best to check with your local computer store about your particular controller.

2 hours ago, macwino said:

Craigeaglefire, just did a little research. Hardwiring for me means buying a wired controller, which I can always do if necessary.

Mac - I see that you are using a wifi controller - and if so - you will need  An adaptor actually named :--

X BOX Wireless Adaptor for Windows    which plugs into a usb point

https://www.bing.com/search?q=xbox+wireless+adapter+for+windows+10&lvl=1&FORM=PMETIS&filters=ans%3a"cvns"+level%3a"0"+mcid%3a"8bdfec87224b4f5399016d0b8c19f20d"&idx=0

Thanks for the input, but there seems to be a basic misunderstanding about my hardware. I have a Microsoft 360 Wireless Controller and the comments so far appear to relate to the "Xbox One" controller which is very different. I will try and see if fsuipc7 might offer a solution.

6 hours ago, macwino said:

I'm using a hardwired xbox controller for drone control, works great.

I also bought a Logitech x-box-style wireless controller for this sim. Haven't tried it yet, I believe they don't always play well with Win 10 but will report once i've tested it.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."