Sign in to follow this  
styckx

The Pipistrel Virus is my new favorite GA aircraft

Never heard of this thing until MSFS 2020 and I skipped over it numerous times because it just looked like a silly toy in the thumbnail.. So I decided to finally fly it tonight and my expectations were pretty low as these ultralight style aircraft are usually lacking the "it factor" for me.

But holy cow.. This little bugger performs, and it has a top notch avionics package packed into this little tiny thing.  If you're into low and slow VFR but want all the feel and comfort of a glass cockpit  with some nostalgia of steam also.. This is the bird for you..   This is like the perfect middle ground for me between digital and analog.. 

QEcLzsz.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Yes I've been using it alot lately.

• Like 2

Same! This and the Savage Cub are my two go-to VFR birds atm.

• Like 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

One more here!

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

The 3D modelling of the default aircraft is truly next level. 👍

With the autopilot on these GA aircraft how does it maintain altitude? By the electronic trim?

I noticed in the XCub if I turn off the autopilot the plane pitches up quite aggressively as if the trim is instantly reverting to its position prior to engaging the AP.

Surely this is a bug? I would have thought the trim should maintain its current position when the AP is disengaged.

Does the Virus do the same thing? (I'm only using the Standard version of MSFS atm so I can't check)

Edited by MatthewS

Matthew S

Ditto.. Like this little puppy.. More sophistication in this than most of the other FS twin seaters..

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip. I definitely need to check these new ones out. I’ve been using the 172 just because it’s familiar and the 152 a bit but a lot of the new stuff looks like the aircraft version of a Porsche to me so I’m definitely intrigued. 

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

45 minutes ago, ray hughes said:

Ditto.. Like this little puppy.. More sophistication in this than most of the other FS twin seaters..

That's what I love about this.

You can hand fly it like a cub or cross country like a TBM because the avionics packed in are just that good and functional. Then add in the raw power this little bugger has. Holy cow it's a load of fun to fly

Edited by styckx

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Why did they name it the Virus? It's predecessor was the named the Sinus. Odd

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

How's the performance compared to the 152? I would expect a decrease due to the glass cockpit?

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Shame they didn't put a similar avionics fitout in the CTLS, as it actually performs slightly better than the SW 121 irl.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

3 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Shame they didn't put a similar avionics fitout in the CTLS

Interesting little airplane, but if you have two 170 pounders you can't carry much fuel at all.  (I only know this because it does NOT have a glass cockpit! 😄 )

I decided to heck with it, I'd carry two 170 people people and full fuel.  It flew.  It needed quite a bit of power, and flew somewhat nose high.  But it flew.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;