Sign in to follow this  
kapitan

Active Pause - Why such exists?

Has someone found a useful use for it? 
That has advantages over Esc or turn Pause on or off configurable in contols?

It lets you stay in cockpit to find a switch. You can be flying, hit active pause and then go and set up autopilot for example.  All kinds of reasons for it.  Active pause, pauses some elements while maintaining others.  It is actually a feature of real simulators.

• Like 6

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

I have just used active pause to get my wife to come and see our house in the sim, active pause works great with track-ir because you can still use it.

Once you have found your house , because you followed the roads and local landmarks to find it...you realise this sim is incredible.

Edited by polk2
  • Like 3

All I know is that you do NOT want to leave it paused for longer than 30 secs with the AP on....you will not have a good outcome when you hit P again.

To me its almost useless in its current state.  Maybe if they make it behave with the AP engaged it will be ok, but for now I don't pause for more than 10 secs with the AP on, and have my hands/feet firmly on the controls when I release it.  I also hand my passenger a puke bag. 🤣

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

2 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

I also hand my passenger a puke bag

Just let them open the window 😁

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

Real life level-d simulators have a position freeze function that allows the rest of the system to continue running in real time, without the aircrafts position moving. Particularly useful for when the crew are conducting non normal procedures, and when finished, receive vectors to begin an approach. This prevents unnecessary long diversions/vectors if a crew take longer to complete the relevant tasks than the instructor planed. Important when sim time is tightly scheduled.

My guess is active pause was meant to simulate this ‘professional’ feature. Whether it does successfully I’m not sure.

Edited by norman_99
  • Like 1

Just now, polk2 said:

Once you have seen your house , because i followed the roads and local landmarks to find it...you realise this sim is incredible.

Yep....but unless you have a screenshot....it didn't happen. 🙂

CLWVvz.jpg

I've been finding all the houses I lived at throughout my life...its pretty incredible I completely agree @polk2

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Is it me, or does Active Pause sound like a brand of dog food?

• Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

29 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

All I know is that you do NOT want to leave it paused for longer than 30 secs with the AP on....you will not have a good outcome when you hit P again.

To me its almost useless in its current state.  Maybe if they make it behave with the AP engaged it will be ok, but for now I don't pause for more than 10 secs with the AP on, and have my hands/feet firmly on the controls when I release it.  I also hand my passenger a puke bag. 🤣

Absolutely.

Anyway, back on the ranch...

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Yeaaaa that threw me off I was wondering its usefulness but hearing it explained here helps hopefully the glitches get sorted out.

I still am not sure I see all the benefits. In some sims of the past you could pause the sim and make changes and see the view from different angles. 

I think my biggest gripe is what it did to actual Pause, which doesn't really exist now. Going back to the menu system is not the same thing as we're used to with a pause. Pause says stop everything, but don't leave the environment. Going back to the menu feels like the sim is judging us by saying, "you're not going to cheat on this test". 

I also don't know that I get the benefit of a pause where the world continues forward. What's the benefit of a pause where the AI traffic continues to move? 

I also have to wonder if the answer to the bugs with AP and this would be resolved by simply automatically disabling AP when you enable active pause (if it was on) and then re-enabling it when you exit that mode.

What I miss is being able to pause to get the shot I want without time moving forward. I see the situation I want, hit pause, move the view around to just where I want it and take the screen shot. Now there's no way to do this. Why? In active pause the entire environment is no longer static so the moment can't be frozen as is. Total bummer for me.

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

If there is facility to pause, it's not a sim, it's a game.

Likewise, the text banners when adjusting instruments or controls. Never seen that in real life.

If you can't fly the airplane without being told what the knob does, you should spend some time on the ground familiarising yourself.

You should be able to put your hand straight on what you want. 

Can those text banners be removed?

And another thing.

Can someone tell me how to stop the application closing itself after a duration of inactivity?

When I land at an airfield, I shut down the airplane and go for a coffee. When I come back, I expect the airplane to be where I left it. The application has closed itself.