Sign in to follow this  
kapitan

Active Pause - Why such exists?

On 8/24/2020 at 9:49 AM, Steve Dra said:

All I know is that you do NOT want to leave it paused for longer than 30 secs with the AP on....you will not have a good outcome when you hit P again.

Wish I had read this earlier. LOL.  I used that pause feature today in only my second flight on this my first day with the sim.   Did so to bring my wife in to watch.  Yes, I had the AP engaged. Took her a couple of minutes to stop what she was doing and join me.  When I took it off pause the DA62 dove 3,000 ft straight into the ground.  No influence from control inputs, I believe due to being on AP.

When I reset the flight, MSFS took me back to KBMG in Bloomington, Indiana.  I have flown out of there hundreds of times and never saw it look like this.  It didn't look like this when I first took off earlier either...

Guess this is social distancing.... 

Can someone come rescue me???

image.png.a02fa82d6d032c8c495e2a9961753142.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

What about when you pop back to Windows - is it a hard pause?

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

2 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

What about when you pop back to Windows - is it a hard pause?

I believe it continues running in the background.  If you hit Esc key you get a menu screen and the sim is paused until you click Resume at the bottom left corner.

image.png.c0f5f4200ccc392b171db4c69bb9f8fa.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Of you do a regular pause -- which works just as I was hoping. It pauses the screen without the menu and everything freezes. 

• Like 1

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

Even hitting escape, whilst the sim is in pause, the clock is still running, so I assume things like AI traffic and such are still moving. There’s literally no way to stop the clock in flight. You have to end the flight completely if you want that. 

On 8/24/2020 at 3:53 PM, norman_99 said:

Real life level-d simulators have a position freeze function that allows the rest of the system to continue running in real time, without the aircrafts position moving. Particularly useful for when the crew are conducting non normal procedures, and when finished, receive vectors to begin an approach. This prevents unnecessary long diversions/vectors if a crew take longer to complete the relevant tasks than the instructor planed. Important when sim time is tightly scheduled.

My guess is active pause was meant to simulate this ‘professional’ feature. Whether it does successfully I’m not sure.

Yes, but usually the position freeze is a lat/lon freeze only, with attitude and altitude changes still being possible. Active pause is somewhat implemented as an everything-but-speed freeze, which doesn’t exactly make any sense imho. And as I keep saying here and elsewhere, FS did always have distinct lat/lon and alt freeze since several versions. They were just not hooked up to keys.

I agree completely. Whether they intended it to function this way, or they were trying to mimic a position freeze function and just got it wrong, we don’t know.

On active pause you can go in to option and make changes to sim aircraft and control settings save and resume.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

i find it a fantastic feature, you can still do some stuff you cannot do otherwise.

ap off, yes , then no problems.

Learned from Bert last evening that another Pause is available.  Go into Controls, then Miscellaneous, and there are two settings available. SET PAUSE ON, and SET PAUSE OFF.  Like Bert I assigned on the "P" key and off to the "O" key.

I note that the aircraft pauses and in that state changes cannot be made.  The aircraft pauses but outside traffic continues and a look at the clock on the G1000 shows the clock is still counting.  I found that I could make changes to the G1000 and MFD, but not to aircraft controls.  Can't hide or reveal the yoke, operate the quadrant controls, flaps, gear, etc.  No idea yet if log time increases when in this state of pause.  And not sure if the >30 second bug applies.  Not flying today.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

That's the pause I use. Oddly there are three and none of them are what I really want. I just want a pause that freezes the sim. Everything except views. Time frozen. Traffic frozen. How hard is that?

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

3 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

That's the pause I use. Oddly there are three and none of them are what I really want. I just want a pause that freezes the sim. Everything except views. Time frozen. Traffic frozen. How hard is that?

It was requested over and over by testers in the Alpha. Apparently Asobo has other ideas about how this should work.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor