Sign in to follow this  
SlowFlyer

What is the status of Deadstick flight sim?

Since the release of MSFS there seems to be a huge interest around bush flying and smaller planes. I am hoping that Deadstick will provide us with another sim that has great scenery, a game with great plane handling, and more importantly, a game that will run smooth without needing a 3XXX super video card.

There's been a lack of new information from them (their Facebook page states they will be offering more detailed info but their last post is from late June), and the delays have been disappointing.

Hopefully, this new interest in flight sims (thanks MSFS) will allow Deadstick to provide us with another option. I was thinking when MSFS came out, i would not be as interested in Deadstick, but I think with the MSFS release, my appetite for flight sims have increased.

Would be cool if some the developers were interested in interacting with AVSIM.

• Like 1

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

With my current lack of enthusiasm for "mainstream" flight simulators still showing no sign of abating, the "left field" concept of Deadstick is becoming more appealing by the day.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I saw it demo'd at the Cosford Flight sim show what is now two years ago (Sept 2018), and it looked pretty cool. But at which time they told me it would be early access within about six months or so (i.e. just after Christmas 2018). Yeah right.

In that same development time, we've had 64 Bit V4 of P3D, DX12 V5 of P3D and the new MS sim going all the way from being publicly announced, to going through beta and alpha and then being released, so the delays on it are starting to make that legendarily overdue Aerosoft CRJ look like speedy service in comparison

I know software can be subject to delays, but Deadstick's really dragging its heels big time, with many people suggesting it might be vapourware. I know they are still working on it, or at least they were last week; apparently they have just got avatars working in the thing.

The arrival of the new MS sim might not help it, but then again it might broaden the appeal of flight sims and potentially give it a boost, who knows? But either way they've shot themselves up the @rse twice on that score, once by not beating MSFS to the draw and twice by not getting it out just as the honeymoon period for MSFS wears off but whilst flight sims are still newsworthy. That could have saved them a fortune on marketing.

There's some video clips of it with avatars wandering around and flying stuff on Steam which were put up about a week ago.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I'd think that since the forums, gaming sites and streamers are saturated with MSFS it wouldn't make much sense for others in the simulator scene to make any announcements as they'd be drowned out. I'd expect late September to October for announcements in this space.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2020 at 5:18 PM, FrankSalo said:

I'd think that since the forums, gaming sites and streamers are saturated with MSFS it wouldn't make much sense for others in the simulator scene to make any announcements as they'd be drowned out. I'd expect late September to October for announcements in this space.

I somewhat agree, but Deadstick is definitely a niche product. I don't think the recent noise would necessarily "drown out" any potential announcements. Perhaps, they would capitalize on all the recent attention to flight simulation and capture a share of the new and "renewed" flight simmers. I hope they release some news soon, since its a really good concept. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

Go look at the 3 year old youtube dev clip then look at the last clip from 3 months ago, I think that answers any questions about rate of progress...echoes of fighter ops

A good idea, but too slow to market and MSFS has killed its viability. MSFS is a flawed sim, but one of the things it does do well is bush flying, which was meant to be deadstick’s niche of course. RIP, deadstick.

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

It is a shame, because Deadstick would have brought something different to the flight simulation arena. I really hope that it is not dead, but maybe the clue is in the name? :sad:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

A good idea, but too slow to market and MSFS has killed its viability. MSFS is a flawed sim, but one of the things it does do well is bush flying, which was meant to be deadstick’s niche of course. RIP, deadstick.

Yup, with something like Air Hauler or any of the freebie alternatives, and a decent add-on plane, you can pretty much do what Deadstick was aiming for, and not in a limited terrain area, but the entire planet. although Deadstick does still feature FPV maintenance and customising your aeroplane, so it's not without its USPs.

If they'd have got it out in early 2019, which was the original release slot for it, it probably would have been a massive hit, and I played a workable demo version of it at the Flight Sim show in 2018, so I think that would probably have been doable, but now I fear that ship has, if not sailed, then certainly sounding its horn and singling up.

Alan Bradbury

We could really do with options like Deadstick. I used Flight Unlimited 2 and 3 almost exclusively between late 1997 and 2008.....and there is a reason for that. It is because I prefer to have a small, detailed package that does everything "out of the box", without requiring endless updates and addons to make it feel "alive". I know that some of you are going to chime in here that the new Microsoft Flight Simulator is exactly what I am looking for, but I am not convinced that is the case. Too many reports of problems, lack of features, forced updates, inconsistent scenery quality, and a global arena that is....to be perfectly honest.....far too BIG for my own personal requirements.

I want something small, neat, and feature complete.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Really looking fwd into this one too.

I think there's surely a place for it ! At least I would love to fly the kind of flight and missions it'll offer.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Doesn't look too promising at the moment if you check out Steam. Last update was this from around five months ago:

After working closely together on Deadstick since 2017, both REMEX and The Irregular Corporation have made the difficult decision to end our publishing relationship, with all game distribution and publishing rights returning to REMEX.

A message from The Irregular Corporation - “

We have enjoyed working on Deadstick over the past few years, especially getting to know the community – it’s been our privilege to witness your passion and love for the project. So thank you for your support, and also our heartfelt thanks to the entire REMEX team for giving us the opportunity to work on the game. We wish you all the best for the future!

The REMEX & Irregular Corporation Teams

Doesn't actually say it's dead, but it's not looking very promising unless another publisher jumps in.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury