Sign in to follow this  
abh_jc_03

Resolution

I went ahead and created rolling cache. Do I have to have terrain and object detail turned all the way up for it to be high or will it just load those high if I’m still at 100 rather than 200?

Josh Scholl

I've heard having a very large rolling cache can cause stutters and is primarily to be used only if you have a very slow or intermittent internet connection?

I would have thought the opposite to be true?

Can anyone confirm or deny this and has anyone done a comparison on having a zero or huge RC on game performance...?

Chris Camp

I have 300Gb and no stutters, what the cache does is reserve space for "rolling" scenery, so you could have a 300Gb cache but only be using 1.8Gb of it.

What the rolling cache does is layer in the scenery so the longer you fly in the Area the more scenery it will add, even if you choose to have the lowest bandwidth setting it will eventually load in the scenery into the cache.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

maybe considering making the rolling cache volume an exception for your anti-virus as well?

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

But do I have to have detail turned all the way up for it to high resolution?  

Josh Scholl

I have turned this off because I heard it can introduce stutters, I never usually fly in the same place a lot and I have a strong internet connection with no cap.

Thomas Derbyshire

The LOD sliders (Terrain Level of Detail and Object Level of detail) affect how far out from your plane, the Highest level of detail is scenery is rendered.

The larger the number, the further from your plane these objects are rendered.  So the sliders will definitely affect your bandwidth usage because the higher this is set, the larger the chunks of high res data you'll be loading off the cloud.

Imagine a direct GPS flight from Midway to O'Hare.  Your plane is the paintbrush, and the flightpath between Midway and O'Hare, is the area to be painted.  With low LOD, only the area directly around your plane will be rendered and downloaded in high resolution imagery and object detail as you fly.  Maybe like a highlighter pen.  But with High LOD settings, that highlighter becomes more like a paint roller.  A much WIDER area of data is downloaded around your plaine and rendered.(and cahced)

Rolling cache will simply keep that data until new data comes in to replace it.  

The only thing increasing rolling cache size does, is provide more space for data downloaded so that it is not re-downloaded when you fly over the area again.  

Rolling cache is managed as First In, First Out.  So the oldest cached data is dumped as newer data is brought in. 

If you are worried about bandwidth usage (data caps)  and you want to keep a home area, cached, it's better to set up a manual cache and cache those areas independently.  That cache is permanent (until you delete it) and those areas won't be rolled out.

One thing to keep in mind.  All of the visuals are based on Bing Maps data, which I assume will be updated periodically just as Google maps is.  If you manually cache an area, you lock it in time, just like when you used to download maps to a Garmin GPS.  So it's a good idea to either stick to rolling cache so it's updated periodically or periodically remove the manual cache and re-cache it.