Sign in to follow this  
Mr_LoL

16GB Vs 32GB Ram Video Comparison

Hi An interesting video on Ram comparison. 

Minimums are higher with 32 than 16.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

i9 7920X @ 4.7  | MSi x299 Gaming Pro Carbon  | Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti | 32GB DDR4 GSkill 3000mhz | 1 TB Samsung 960 EVO | 3TB Toshiba 7200rpm.

When I loaded up my Orbx London Landmarks 1.01 update and took off down the Thames I noticed my RAM go to the limit for the first time. I'm definitely going from 16 to 32 this week. I've meant to since I bought this PC, but I can upgrade for the same price as the Standard edition of MSFS, so why not?

Edited by SeanMo

This video proves 32 GB is totally unneeded for the base game, performance are pretty much the same. 

32 GB is only useful if you plan on adding a lot of high quality addon sceneries.  

Edited by Aaron555
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Aaron555 said:

This video proves 32 GB is totally unneeded for the base game, performance are pretty much the same. 

11 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I see no significant performance difference between the two set-ups.

16 GB performs pretty well (that all I currently have), but I do see significantly fewer long frame spikes (aka micro stutters) with 32 GB in that video. 

Chris

I stay with 16GB and a page file on each of my two NVME drives for sure after seeing this video.

Was flying the 208 in the swamps in Florida and had 20+gb Ram used all the time, I wouldn't say it's useless.

• Like 7

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

1 hour ago, SeanMo said:

When I loaded up my Orbx London Landmarks 1.01 update and took off down the Thames I noticed my RAM go to the limit for the first time. I'm definitely going from 16 to 32 this week. I've meant to since I bought this PC, but I can upgrade for the same price as the Standard edition of MSFS, so why not?

Funny things these computers. I just flew up the Thames at 2000 AGL from EGLC. RAM utilization on the runway was 11.8GB. At Tower Bridge it was 12.2GB. At The Milleneum Wheel it read 12.6GB and then increased to it's maximum at Battersea of 12.9GB. Cessna 172, same scenery, and graphics on Ultra. My take? 16GB is just fine.

P.S: On an earlier flight over the full length of Manhattan Island the max was 11.2GB.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

What are L. 1% and L. 0.1%?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

32GB is not useless - I've seen a peak usage of 27GB, that was over JFK using the drone cam - real world traffic and MP.

I've also experienced about 17-20GB usage more often than not 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

I currently have 16gb and I've just this second finished a flight to JFK(default version, not the prem deluxe version) in the A320. Bare in mind we're all useing default aircraft etc, according to my on screen display i was useing 15.5gb and was getting 25fps which could have been limited by hitting my RAM limit. So i wouldnt say more than 16gb is useless, especially going when more addons get released. Luckly i already ordered another 16gb which should arrive tomorrow.

I would say 32GB is the sweet spot. I average between 16-23GB of RAM depending on where I'm flying. So it's definitely not useless at all. Especially when you fly at 4K with Ultra settings.

• Like 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

1 hour ago, Mace said:

What are L. 1% and L. 0.1%?

I don't know for certain (and I'd love to know what they're using for monitoring, that's pretty neat), but from context I would guess that's 99th percentile and 99.9th percentile slowest frames.

Edit:  Looks like that's MSI Afterburner, which looks a lot better than I remember it.    And yes, that seems to be those two percentile lowest framerates.

Edited by kaosfere