Sign in to follow this  
mlmcasual

Impressions of MSFS2020 HDR on an HDR TV. Excellent.

I find it strange that no one has mentioned the spec of their PC

I understood that 4K and HDR10 go together - Cant get true HDR without $K

Most tests have shown that without a 2080TI and I9 for example  - 4k Is almost impossible

With my Mid range PC - I had to stop using my 4K - HDR10 43" Samsung and revert to a 1080 HD unit 

I stand to be educated

That is - until X Box Series X is released with the Sim and then my 4K will come out of storage

and then I might upgrade to 8K 🤞

For me HDR does not seem to work 100% of the time. My monitor is a BENQ EX3501R which supports HDR and with other games (i.e. Ori and the Will of the Wisps) it works flawlessly. It only seems to get enabled when I ALT + TAB in and out of the sim somehow.

The HDR option is greyed out for me, and my TV does HDR10 and HLG. I'm using the same HDMI cable that I use with my 4K UHD Blu-ray player, and I can already play compatible games with HDR turned on...

LCD, LED TV's never had the luminosity of a CRT TV, with HDR the picture now looks like a nice strong CRT TV 😁

at least that's how I feel about my Samsung HDR TV, I actually have 3 old Mitsubishi XC3725C 37" CRT TVs from the 90s, each weighing about 100kg (220lbs), using it for old coin up Arcade games in our basement 😅

3 hours ago, March Hare said:

The HDR option is greyed out for me, and my TV does HDR10 and HLG. I'm using the same HDMI cable that I use with my 4K UHD Blu-ray player, and I can already play compatible games with HDR turned on...

Same thing for me.  Greyed out 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

5 hours ago, jaytee73 said:

Most tests have shown that without a 2080TI and I9 for example  - 4k Is almost impossible

Eh? I'm running a 2080 Ti with an i7 8700k, 32GB, SSD and it's Absolutely Fine (TM) (C)

HDR, too (Asus PG27UQ).

23 minutes ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

Eh? I'm running a 2080 Ti with an i7 8700k, 32GB, SSD and it's Absolutely Fine (TM) (C)

HDR, too (Asus PG27UQ).

Agreed.  4k, 8700k w/ 1080Ti, 16 GB.  I'm using HIGH w/ rendering at 80%.  Looks great, and can get just over 40fps in most places I've tried.  99% of my testing has been with the smaller aircraft. (i.e. no airliners)

I think the OP might be referring to running at ULTRA where the scenery is particularly demanding (e.g. NY).  Airliners perhaps.

I watched the following the other day

In my case all (12) logical cores ARE used.  Core 12 sees the heaviest usage, with all others around 30%.  GPU @ 99-100%.  Constantly.

Edited by Hippo

I've been running on my probably not very capable (i.e. cheap) Philips HDR 4k TV.  When I flick the HDR "slider" in the W10 display settings, it just switches off again.  Does anyone know why this might be?

A few weeks ago, I had somehow got HDR to "work" in Doom Eternal, but it looked awful - very washed out.  I also experienced other issues, such as the signal cutting out.  A firmware upgrade for the TV did a lot to improve things, but I suspect the TV firmware might still need more work.

I've been very impressed by some material I've streamed from YouTube, but underwhelmed by a lot of other stuff (e.g. Jack Ryan on Prime).

20 hours ago, mlmcasual said:

Although I am unable to visual show you, I can testify that MS FS 2020 with HDR on a capable HDR TV is VERY well done and provides a dramatic visual improvement over standard Non HDR. HDR has several built in advantages over the standard 8bit SRGB color space.The difference is not only wider dynamic range of lights-darks, but an overall boost in contrast, color gamut, and color-tonal Fidelity (more color shades). I can vouch the HDR difference is day/night and vastly better with HDR in MSFS2020 vs without. The instruments are easier to read, landscape looks much more alive, the subtle shades within clouds is much more visible. The vibrancy of a sunrise/sunset on clouds is stunning. Once you see MS FS 2020 done properly in HDR, you will never want to go back. I am observing this on an 2018 samsung Q7. Turning HDR on and off and observing the differences. Stunning is an understatement.

I think MSFS2020 is one of the best implementations and reasons on WHY HDR (done right) can make a huge leap in visual and immersion. HDR is 10bit vs SRGB8bit means 1024 shades per primary color vs 256 shades... Four times more shades (tonal fidelity)!  This can be appreciated in FS2020 with cloud structures where you can see many more subtle tones. It's not just being able to discern the subtle wisps of clouds,  it's also the dramatic increase in color gamut that really brings life and awe to sunsets and colors.

I can also vouch that MS FS  20202 is doing TRUE HDR and not just SRGB artificially remapped to the HDR color-space (which some games do). You are getting a true HDR color gamut and  luminosity that makes the game so much more immersive and realistic looking.

Are you saying that a television running HDR has better resolution than a UHD 4K monitor? This is very important to me because I want a decent 43" UHD monitor for FS2020 (3840x2160), and I know that a similar resolution on a television doesn't have the color quality of a monitor. So, if I buy a HDR TV, it will provide better graphics than a UHD monitor?

I can afford the TV, even bigger, but right now I can't afford the monitor!

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

On the flip side, HDR does not look good on my otherwise excellent LG IPS monitor. But that's too be expected for IPS.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

I never could get HDR to look good in anything but games that support it. Very washed out Desktop and applications. This post inspired me to try to game with it and it does look better. Tops of houses, lighting, and definition in hillsides are what I first noticed. For those running HDR does it look good on your desktop? Do you just switch it on before running MSFS and turn it off when done? That is what I am doing. It could be my low end 10bit HDR tv. My desktop is 4K 60Hz and connected via HDMI. I am no expert at this but it is my understanding that 4K 60Hz HDR via HDMI is a limitation of the NVidia game ready driver. If you use a display port connection, no problem or you can use the NVidia studio version driver and it support 4K 60Hz HDR via HDMI. I tried a 1080 desktop but it still looks washed out. I play the game at 1080 and the menus do not look a little washed out but once I am in the cockpit there is noticeable improvement in quality. Yes, the gauges are easier to read and may be I do not need new glasses.

FYI if you are using a NVidia card make sure you have set it to output 10bit and not 8bit, http://ltroyalshrimp.com/how-to-properly-setup-hdr10-output-on-windows-10/

Alienware Aurora R13, i9 12900K, Z690, 3080ti, 64GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe