Sign in to follow this  
mlmcasual

Impressions of MSFS2020 HDR on an HDR TV. Excellent.

5 hours ago, micstatic said:

Same thing for me.  Greyed out 

Maybe it's the HDMI. Do you also have DisplayPort in/out on your graphics card and your TV? I don't know if TVs even come with DP inputs, but if yours does, try switching.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I always wondered the same thing @Maladoror.  I have been playing around with things this morning and notice that my output color depth only offers 8 or 12.  No 10.  But I'm going to try using 12 and flying later tonight.  I did notice that in Windows 10 when selecting HDR it offers me a brighness scroll that makes things brighter.  But when doing work/web I'm finding it still not as bright as HDR off.  I have a Q60R and set my refresh rate to 30hz when flying.  Then RGB/32bit color depth/Full dynamic range. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

7 minutes ago, gpbarth said:

Maybe it's the HDMI. Do you also have DisplayPort in/out on your graphics card and your TV? I don't know if TVs even come with DP inputs, but if yours does, try switching.

no mine doesn't.  I have to go HDMI out to my TV.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

HDR does make desktop look very much washed out, don't know exactly why. But I agree HDR works fine within the MSFS. 

Just to think about all these modern features we got with MSFS2020 - just in 2018 all these would be a pure pipe dream. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

There are some Caveats and Challenges to getting HDR to be properly displayed. Every link in the HDR chain has to be functional.  I have a lot of experience with past headaches to reach True HDR Nirvana.

Some things to know...

-- If you have an HDR capable display hooked up but Windows 10 HDR setting is grayed out.... 

Make sure you TV has a 4K-HDR  certified HDMI cable. Older cables may not support the bandwidth needed.

Connect the HDMI/Display port Directly from the GPU to the TV. If you have a AV switcher in the middle, good chance that it won't fully support HDR.

Make sure your TV (if it has the setting) has the input set to DEEP COLOR, or HDMI UHD COLOR  selected to ON.  

Make sure you "input type" if it has selections like, PC,Cable,DVD  etc... is NOT set to PC.

-- There is a difference between "HDR compatible, and HDR compliant".... 

Most "HDR" monitors can read an HDR signal, but most of them are not actual HDR display compliant. They can read the signal but they don't 

have the actual contrast, color gamut, and Luminosity (brightness) capability to properly display HDR visually. Playing HDR on a non HDR certified monitor will look washed out.

This is mostly true of HDR monitors but can also apply to some "HDR" Tvs. There are different levels of HDR vesa specification/Requirements. There are specs for  for HDR400,500 but in 

my experience, you really need to aim for a compliant DisplayHDR1000 to truly get the benefit visually of HDR, that is to really visually get the extended color gamut, wide luminosity dynamic range... aim for HDR1000 compliant device.

https://displayhdr.org/#tab-1000

Does proper HDR make a difference in MSFS2020? 0- yes.. HUGE difference. The wider color gamut, contrast, dynamic brightness range, and Tonal fidelity is VERY significant improvement over non HDR. (HDR OFF) in MSFS2020.

Once you see a proper HDR in MSFS2020, there is no mistaking it.. it's dramatic better in every way. The frustrating part is for me,.. there is no real way to show you the difference, you need an HDR device to see it first hand.. Yea, people do photoshop jobs or take pics on/off to simulate the difference but that doesn't really show you or do it justice viewing on a non HDR device.

Edited by mlmcasual
  • Like 3

I have a samsung ultra wide 49" I have turned windows hdr on but it don't make any difference

only the screen go's a little dark. Now when I play other games, one in particular Assetto corsa competizione. its fine and that's 

without putting windows hdr on? Anyone know what i'm not doing....

I have tried to get hdr to work with RTX2070 and Samsung Q80t 49". No luck so far, but I will go through the tips here and have another go. Tv indicates HDR on source, but still washed out image within MFS2020 and desktop.   I think it worked for a moment when not using pc as input source label, but it reverted to washed out again. Maybe it is complicated by me running 3840x1620 custom resolution to get widescreen and fewer pixels to draw.  

I got a tips about using the desktop scaling feature in nvidia to create the custom resolution, enabling hdr in 4k standard and then switch to the custom resolution.  

This thread kinda shows the problem with HDR in anything but videos.. It's still in its infancy and sort of hit or miss because there are way to many variables. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I’ve been running HDR for the last two days and it works but in my case, it’s not a drastic improvement. But that’s probably because my TV was one of the first HDR sets in 2016 and isn’t anywhere near a set from the last year or two. I’m sure YMMV depending on your TV or monitor. MSFS looks perfectly fine without HDR too. 

I am using a 2019 Samsung 43" KU7100 TV, and followed the tips above, and works a treat. Blown a way in fact. Looks stunning. One thing mine does not have however is "Deep Colour" but does have "Auto Motion" which seems to make a difference. I read somewhere that turning on Auto motion, it can give the feeling of 120Hz, not even sure what that even means.

In Nvidia, I selected RGB, and 12bit, no option for 10bit colour with my 1080Ti, and "Full colour. By selecting 12 bit, the PC pushes it at 10 bit. According to this link :http://ltroyalshrimp.com/how-to-properly-setup-hdr10-output-on-windows-10/

Edited by ZKOKQ

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I have an HDR monitor (Gigabyte Aorus AD27QD) and HDR10 works great for me. It is mainly noticeable on sunrises and sunsets, which look noticeably way brighter and more intense than everything else compared to standard color mode.

I finally managed to get hdr working with non native resolution on Samsung Q80t 49". 

Used Nvidia control panel to set resolution to 4k and Select nvidia color setting 4:2:2, apply, select 10 bit. Apply.  Enable HDR in windows. Then use nvidia desktop  resize feature to resize to 3840x1620. Apply and select the newly generated resolution from the list.  TV input source must be set to something else than PC and Signsl plus selected for the HDMI input used. Select a tv picture setting like dynamic, movie etc and adjust to your liking. 

The desktop looked a bit stretched, but if MSFS is set to 3840x1620  it is no problem insidexthe sim. Finally enable HDR . 

It seems that the TV needs s picture mode change to kick into HDR, or I could be wrong. It is not easy to figure this out. 

I finally got HDR10 working on my 4K Sony Bravia display just now. My Nvidia control panel display settings have always been stuck on 8 bit, limited range, and ycbcr 422, greyed out so I couldn't change them. I've never understood why.

I looked at Windows display settings and my resolution was set to 4K, as expected. But it seems to think my native display is 1080p, so I'm not sure why that is. But I changed it to 1080p anyway as I don't play games in 4K; a GTX 1070 doesn't really handle it well.

What allowed me to alter the Nvidia settings was then changing from 60hz to 50hz. Not sure why, but that gave me the options for 12 bit, RBG, full dynamic range. Now HDR10 is enabled in the simulator.

Just to update and reiterate... SUPER important to TV users.. some TV's PC mode will NOT properly display HDR..

Just to follow up on this.. I can't speak for all TV's but can tell you my experience with a 2017 samung Q70 (qled)...   as mentioned, I found the samsung source must NOT be selected to "PC", it MUST be selected to any other model.. game,cable etc..   you can tell when samsung is in "PC" mode because all video settings are greyed out except brighness,backlight..  "PC" mode puts the samsung in pure RGB mode and this mode wil NOT (repeat will NOT) properly map out the HDR signal luminostiry and color gamut REGARDLESS of what Nvidia setting you have, 4:2:2, 1080P, etc..   I have verified this..

You can test this for yourself..  Look at the HDR test video at 24 second mark.. if Hdr is working properly, you should be able to distinctly see different shades of color in the center of the bright hot glass.. (note, you may need to st.2084 gamma down in the samsung expert settings)

The problem is, if PC  mode.. you may "think" you are seeing HDR but you are not.. it is dropping out the luminosity mapping and also isn't displaying the full rec2020 color gamut.  This is important for FS 2020.. you may think you are seeing HDR, the vid card may say it, the TV may say it.. but it is not, and you are not seeing the full beauty of the HDR in the clouds and the stunning colors.

Edited by mlmcasual
  • Upvote 1

On 8/25/2020 at 6:43 AM, jaytee73 said:

I find it strange that no one has mentioned the spec of their PC

I understood that 4K and HDR10 go together - Cant get true HDR without $K

Most tests have shown that without a 2080TI and I9 for example  - 4k Is almost impossible

With my Mid range PC - I had to stop using my 4K - HDR10 43" Samsung and revert to a 1080 HD unit 

I stand to be educated

That is - until X Box Series X is released with the Sim and then my 4K will come out of storage

and then I might upgrade to 8K 🤞

Don't need 4K for HDR.