Sign in to follow this  
AwesomeSauce

FS2020 bug with Navigation and Autopilot system?

Total FlightSim noob here... not sure if I'm running into another bug or I messed up some settings. Couldn't find any post or video of others having the same issue... Would appreciate any help.

Here is the issue:

I selected DA62 and a simple route: DFW->IAH, using VFR(Direct - GPS). Everything looks correct, notice the distance is 195NM here.

lec55bcfi0j51.png?width=2992&format=png&

However, when I start the sim, for some reason the nav system says the distance is 5755.5NM... and the pink arrow in the compass is pointing north.
i562xx2vi0j51.png?width=2278&format=png&

And if I start autopilot and select NAV mode, the AP will turn the plane north aligning with the pink arrow, completely ignore the route in the VFR map.

This problem persists even if I switch airplane. (A320neo below)

zmnxmpjhj0j51.png?width=1352&format=png&

I tried restarting the game, changing airports, planes, VOR, etc. but still couldn't fix the problem...the exact direction and distance differs a little based on the route, but its generally between 345' to 358', 5500 and 6800 NM.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by AwesomeSauce

Not sure what happened here... but if I choose the DA62 and enter KDFW to KIAH, I get 196 NM on the PFD.

• Like 1

Bert

@AwesomeSauce

Hello, welcome to the Forums.

I have seen plenty other bugs from the Alpha, but not this one. Don't know what might be wrong.
But please report it to the Zendesk.

48 minutes ago, RamonB said:

@AwesomeSauce

Hello, welcome to the Forums.

I have seen plenty other bugs from the Alpha, but not this one. Don't know what might be wrong.
But please report it to the Zendesk.

Thanks, submitted the ticket on Zendesk. Hopefully it will be resolved.

• Upvote 1

Hi, I have the same problem, I thought I was the only one having this issue as this problem is hard to search on the net.
Can you tell me if you're having problem also on pacific IFR routes ex. fan Francisco to narita japan?
and also file an IFR flight that has a D0 (not DO) route and see if the D0 is on south atlantic just west of africa, it seems to be the case for EVERY flight even without the D0, the plane just fly to that specific heading every time

• Like 1

I have seen the discrepancy between the distance shown on the CDU and what appears on the external waypoint marker.

• Like 1

Good find , if finding bugs is ever a good thing, but yeah the more we find/report the better.........

• Like 1

Sadly at the moment I can't even get airborne as I have been stricken by the severe pull to the right when trying to take off, which no amount of wiggling the joystick in the sensitivity etc. menu seems to be fixing. (Have tested in FSX and XP11, working perfectly fine).

On 8/24/2020 at 7:34 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

Thanks, submitted the ticket on Zendesk. Hopefully it will be resolved.

Someone on the MSFS forum had exactly this issue (at a different location).  I could not reproduce it either, but multiple reports should help identify the problem.

• Like 1

Yoke/joystick calibration is not much different in MSFS 2020 than others but maybe something else is going on. You sure you have the latest drivers installed , Are you using controller managers and double check the axis of your controller in game make sure it's set right. 

43 minutes ago, Elvensmith said:

Sadly at the moment I can't even get airborne as I have been stricken by the severe pull to the right when trying to take off, which no amount of wiggling the joystick in the sensitivity etc. menu seems to be fixing. (Have tested in FSX and XP11, working perfectly fine).

Check you haven't accidentaly bound keys on 2 different input devices to the same command somewhere.  Also make sure that on your joystick that for flight controls you have selected AXIS and not the delivered keyboard keypress left/right or up and down.  Finally make sure you have set a small deadzone and reduced the sensitivity for all axis inputs..  I find that something like 5% deadzone and between -50 - 70% sensetivity works well.

It's really important that (for example) if you have rudder AXIS on your joystick set up for the twist maybe, that you have removed the rudder KEYS on your keyboard because in the various peripheral pollings, sometimes a double combo overrides itself and just as you get rolling, your plane attempts to do a cartwheel into the turf 🙂.

Edited by Moria15

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

Well I have now refunded so it's gone but everything had been working correctly (in so far as the controls did) up to yesterday evening then without changing anything in either hardware or the options, it didn't work. Prior to taking the decision to refund I'd been through the joystick setup screens several times and everything was as it should be, no conflicts.

1 hour ago, shanksen28 said:

Hi, I have the same problem, I thought I was the only one having this issue as this problem is hard to search on the net.

Sorry you are having the same problem... but good to know I'm not the only one.

Can you tell me if you're having problem also on pacific IFR routes ex. fan Francisco to narita japan?

Yes... exact same problem... nav wants to flight straight north, showing the distance between KSFO->RJAA as 6906NM instead of the correct 4439NM

and also file an IFR flight that has a D0 (not DO) route and see if the D0 is on south atlantic just west of africa, it seems to be the case for EVERY flight even without the D0, the plane just fly to that specific heading every time

Yes again LOL... I noticed the D0 problem but didn't think it was related and never had the patience to scroll to where it is. I just did that and you are right... it's always somewhere west of Africa.

Looks like this is a common problem... hope MSFS will address it in the upcoming update.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looks like the navigation bug is a fairly common one...

Here are the things I tried to fix it that did not work:

• Change plane
  • Change route
  • Switch between GPS/VOR/IFR
  • Reset all setting
  • Reset rolling and manual cache
  • Repair game from Windows settings
  • Create another profile on a different Windows user account

I have not uninstall and reinstall the game yet... saving that as a last resort. Downloading ~100GB of data was not fun...

One workaround that did work for me:

• Start the sim with out setting a route in the world map (or delete the flight plan after the sim starts)
  • Manually set the flight plan in the aircraft's panel

It's definitely a huge PITA to do it this way but it's the only way I can find to make it work...

Edited by AwesomeSauce
Fix typo
  • Like 1

I posted the same question on reddit and someone provided the below solution. I tested it and it works! Good luck to anyone who's having this issue!

after change the ‘Change system locale’ to english(US). everything works as normal. finger cross

Click Start , then Control Panel Click Clock, Language and Region Windows 10: Click Region The Region and Language options dialog appears. Click the Administrative tab Under the Language for non-Unicode programs section, click Change system locale and select the EN(US). Click OK Restart the computer to apply the change.

Edited by AwesomeSauce