Sign in to follow this  
Boeingnut

Is it just me?

Is it just my perception or have many 3rd party developers halted/abandoned planned updates and/or releases for P3d v5 and moved directly to MSFS 2020? Some developers have been excellent (yes there are glitches here and there, but not of any consequence). However I keep on seeing scenery that was to be released for p3d, now conspicuously absent, in favour of screen shots on how it looks in MSFS2020.

• Upvote 1

You develop to make money.  We all should see where the market is quickly headed.

Edited by cmpbellsjc
Edit for spacing

42 minutes ago, Boeingnut said:

Is it just my perception or have many 3rd party developers halted/abandoned planned updates and/or releases for P3d v5 and moved directly to MSFS 2020?

Nope you are not alone. The MS marketing ploy has left a large smoking crater right in the middle of the Flight Sim world and now everyone is standing around the big smoking hole hoping that 3rd party will fix things and saying oh we don't need for it to have all the airports or my personal favorite it don't matter if the flight model don't work or the thing wont stall and it is peachy that most buttons are connected to nothing and the list just goes on and on. It's going to take at least a year or two before this mess settles down.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Sometimes, I think the CalClassics guys had it right all along.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

24 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Nope you are not alone. The MS marketing ploy has left a large smoking crater right in the middle of the Flight Sim world and now everyone is standing around the big smoking hole hoping that 3rd party will fix things and saying oh we don't need for it to have all the airports or my personal favorite it don't matter if the flight model don't work or the thing wont stall and it is peachy that most buttons are connected to nothing and the list just goes on and on. It's going to take at least a year or two before this mess settles down.

Yeah, that's about it.  Microsoft creates the base sim with improvements over the previous version and third party developers bring it up to a level where guys like me can enjoy it.  It was the same with FS2004 and FSX.

I can't believe I'm going to actually state the painfully obvious, but MSFS is not a sim for the experienced flight simmer. It's a sim marketed to the masses.  Like it's always been, third party devs will create content that will bring it up to the level experienced flight simmers want.

Best wishes!

• Like 10
  • Upvote 5

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

MSFS is wonderful in its released state (finally),

just before it was released i purchased quite a few P3Dv5 addons,

& i see today that Aerosoft released Barcelona for XP11+, & might add that as well.

personally, it is 'horses for courses'.

we are allowed to pick & choose to our hearts' desire!

TROPICALSIM just released FARO v5, RFSCENERY v5 upgrades and i am still buying, once the novelty has worn off it will settle down i will not be buying MSFS addons.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I am also  still investing in P3Dv5. I plan to wait and see how MSFS turns out.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Developers haven't forgotten P3D or XPLANE. However most of them are trying to figure out the MSFS SDK.. and see "what can be done with it" at this stage since it is not fully completed at this time as it was point out by many 3rd party developers already.

I am still developing for P3D, MSFS hopefully will mature alongside with its SDK 😉.

S.

Edited by simbol
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Yeah, that's about it.  Microsoft creates the base sim with improvements over the previous version and third party developers bring it up to a level where guys like me can enjoy it.  It was the same with FS2004 and FSX.

I can't believe I'm going to actually state the painfully obvious, but MSFS is not a sim for the experienced flight simmer. It's a sim marketed to the masses.  Like it's always been, third party devs will create content that will bring it up to the level experienced flight simmers want.

Best wishes!

I was under the impression that it was your mates at aerosoft that made that fantastic neo that no one can land...? 

14ppkc-6.png

12 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Best wishes!

Hi, I am not posting often here but follow the community here a lot of years now...

After following the MSFS 2020 launch here in the forums, your comment is the one that is to the point. This is excactly my expression too. Basically, that is alright with me if 3rd party developers bringing the sim to a level I was expecting in the first place when MSFS 2020 was annouced. But the problem with that is - this sim will require access to the MS Bing Maps database constantly. So if I buy MSFS2020 - I never have to pay again to actually stream a lot of data for every flight over a lot of years to come? (hopefully) And looking at the information about the actual data traffic - thats is a lot of data... for every, single user.

E.g. PMDG launched the 737 in 2011 - that's 5 years after FSX came out. I feel, that was in general the time the high-level sim software for FSX started to really take off. (I know, the MD11 was really nice too - but the 737 was/is truly a masterpiece). That is a long time if this will be similar with MSFS2020 since (in my understanding) the new sim has to be keept actively alive by MS.

Furthermore, I am concerned about the actual base flight modeling provided with the sim e.g. atmospheric physics, aerodynamic modeling, and so on. Sure MSFS2020 is advertised with an "aerodynamic model with over 1000 control surfaces" - but yet, there does not seem to be a single default plane showing off the full potential of the sim. (don't get me wrong - I have no problems with simplified systems and planes in general, but a single fully modelled plane with complete systems and complete aerodynamics would have been nice at launch) There are no gliders to show off some atmospheric physics like thermals, there are no helicopters,.... I've seen a video showing off the icing on a plane - but I could not actually figure out if there is actual physics involved with added drag and decreasing lift or if the sim simply adds an icing texture when the conditions are right (can you actually crash with excessive icing?). When looking at videos showing of tubulences - it looks like the plane is shaken around the CG with the nose wobbeling up/down, not like actual up-/downdrafts. (this is just my observation, I might be wrong here). So, basically - I am very unsure about the quality of the base simulator - and through all  the hype and hundreds of videos showing off the visuals, it is difficult for me to find out more about this.

Because the SDK for developers is not actually finished yet (as I understand) - nobody knows the actual sim capabilities (and sim possibilities) a lot of people are talking about when talking about future prospects. Sure, the visuals are amazing - but honestly - it is 2020 - I was kind of expecting that (however, kudos to Asobo for the engine behind that). But right now - except for the visuals, are there actually any other confirmed improvements over FSX? From the XBox MSFS2020 page, it features Higly Detailed Aircraft (which does not seem to be the case at least system depth and flight model wise, when reading the comments here in the forum...), New Day & Night engine (we had that in FSX right?), Dynamic Weather (also in FSX - not very good but availalbe), Aerodynamic Modeling (I yet have to see that as decribed above). TrackIR as "one of the most requested features" was also working in FSX. So that leaves the Detailed Landscapes and the Living World...which is totally relying on MS providing the data for free. And also, and I just want to point that out - nowhere on the MFSF2020 homepage it is stated that 3rd party addons and modding is supported. At least there is talk about the SDK from 3rd party developers - and that is at least a good sign.

Right now - and that is my personal opinion - MSFS2020 looks more like a tech-demo than the simulator I was hoping for....I hope this will turn out fine and then I will also buy the new simulator and if that takes years - fine by me. But I would prefer that happening rather sooner than later.

I also do not know how 3rd party software will be distributet for MSFS 2020. Will there be an in-game store for it? Or will MSFS2020 accept an external 3rd party distribution?

Nico

Edited by GGLurch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yep Totally agree. There will be some development for X-Plane, but most of the MS family will be going to where the money is. Bread and butter on the table is the last word. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

9 hours ago, craigeaglefire said:

MSFS is wonderful in its released state (finally),

just before it was released i purchased quite a few P3Dv5 addons,

& i see today that Aerosoft released Barcelona for XP11+, & might add that as well.

personally, it is 'horses for courses'.

we are allowed to pick & choose to our hearts' desire!

And wallets capacity.☺️

Vic green

1 hour ago, fluffyflops said:

I was under the impression that it was your mates at aerosoft that made that fantastic neo that no one can land...? 

Nope.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.