Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Just Fired up P3dV5 for the first time since installing MSFS

On 8/24/2020 at 7:51 PM, PilotPete99 said:

And it was fabulous! I will not be getting rid of P3dv5 any time soon. As I am a tubeliner guy, nothing beats P3dv5 as of now (my opinion of course). It was even better than I remembered with my short flight in the PMDG 737.

Well, this looks pretty good to me.  

P3D isn't going to die.  P3D still does some things better than MSFS.  For airliner flying I doubt anyone will be using MSFS at least until we get PMDG aircraft.  And maybe the weather fixed. 🙂  MSFS is in a somewhat unfinished state at the moment.

About every other day I consider doing a flight in P3Dv4.5  just to get my favorite aircraft and some better weather depiction.  Then I compare screen shots from P3D with what I see in MSFS.  

Call it a scenery simulator if you wish, but considering my flying is all with real world charts from skyvector.com, a compass, a clock, and what I see out the window, that scenery isn't just eye candy for me, it's how I navigate.  Oddly enough, in P3D it's sometimes easier.  But in MSFS it's a lot more rewarding.

MSFS scenery has warts.  The community is already working on fixing those.  Asobo will be working on fixing others... probably.  In the mean time, I'm still flying by dead reckoning and pilotage and enjoying it.

But I still keep thinking about doing some flying in P3D, and I'm excited by what P3D might do in the next versions.  It wouldn't take much to bring me back permanently.

Hook

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

LM bombed with initial V5 release (based on much of the code carried over from V4). I am not sure if anyone is using the original V5 version anymore. Why did they rush v5? At the same time, LM drasticly worsened their refund policy from 60 days to 14.

Anyways if you want ratings take a look at the avsim poll below. Just 65% were happy with the release at the time. 20% wanted a refund. But LM fixed the issues and I am sure most of us are very satisfied with v5 now. I know I am.

LR bombed the release of both XP11 in 2016(?) and also had huge issues with vulkan implementation. Why did LR rush V11 that broke so much? If you want to see anger, visit the .org forum and read threads from that era.

Asobo bombed with the MSFS release. Why did they rush? (Microsoft wanted RoI and probably thought releasing the game during lockdown would attract more buyers?)

Seems we have a similar pattern no matter what angle we look. We have unfinished sims everywhere initially, but they all have in common that stability will be provided.

Asobo dug a grave with their lack of communication during testing and polished PR tactics, raising the bar which the game cant achieve out of the box. But it is not like it hasnt happened before. 

Edited by SAS443
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Here I am using V5 HF2 and on my 2 pc’s it is running very well.

Unfortunately PTA has been discontinued so I had to switch to EnvShade which is very good too, but has less manual options.

Water looks better than in V4 but as a jetflyer it was not that important to me. Skies are looking better and shader effects too.

The sun now has a normal size in TrueSky mode. If V5.1 enhances EA than I can fly with that only.

But as for MSFS , also with P3D : there is no such thing as a free ride. DX12 helped with performance and looking at the future. 
I hope that Asobo will use it too in the future. 

Quote :

A major difference between the two APIs is that DX12 is more low-level than DX11, meaning that DX12 gives developers more fine-grained control of how their game interacts with your CPU and GPU. ... Additionally, DX12 is a modern API with more next-gen features than DX11, or any other graphics API.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

19 hours ago, Mace said:

People are all different, maybe?

That was my point. Some are still with P3D, some have gone to MSFS and some are using both and this thread is just about that. Yet the post I replied to was telling the "MS word not allowed" to leave.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

@GSalden  I’m with you on dx12. Would be great. I’ll be ready by getting the vram monster 3090

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

On 8/25/2020 at 12:51 AM, PilotPete99 said:

And it was fabulous! I will not be getting rid of P3dv5 any time soon. As I am a tubeliner guy, nothing beats P3dv5 as of now (my opinion of course). It was even better than I remembered with my short flight in the PMDG 737.

Cheers, Pete

I just skipped MSFS and fired up V5.

Again :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I messed around with MSFS for the last few days. It's ok, Not particularly blown away by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe even slightly underwhelmed. With that said, I can't see myself ditching P3Dv5 any time soon. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

It was generally accepted that P3D was the better for Airliners, and XPlane the better for GA. 

With the introduction of MSFS 2020 I would say as it stands now, the former remains so, and the latter has changed hands over to MSFS 2020.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF - 24 Cores... Watercooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB Black...MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK...Kingston Fury Beast RGB 128GB DDR5-5600...NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB.

Doing island hops in MSFS is phenomenal with live weather. But being the 737 & 787 fanatic I am, I can't put down my V5 with Activesky.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm still using P3Dv4 for my A320 and A321 itch. Have a skeleton XP11 install for the zibo when I want to use it.

As soon as a high quality airliner is available and the weather is fixed (or Active Sky becomes avail.) on MFS I can say I'll easily be ditching them both. The immersion is second to none for VFR, as soon as a well simulated aircraft is in, I will say the same for IFR. Nevertheless, I've gone from FSX -> FSX:SE -> P3Dv4 + XP11 and am going to MFS.

The sims have served me well so far 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

Just spent a few days with FS2020.
So underwhelmed with it that I decided to hangar it for now.
The whole experience made me appreciate P3D more than ever and firing it up after a three day absence was like going back home. 

Every time I fired up FS2020 I missed:

ActiveSky
Chaseplane
RealityXP GTN750 on my touchscreen
Airplanes with decent flight models and fully functional cockpits
FSUIPC for controller setup
Using my Saitek panels with SpadNext
Ultimate Traffic Live
Pilot2ATC
Envtex/Envshade
AivlaSoft EFB

I could go on.............................

Lloyd

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX3080Ti Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

Once some issues get fixed, MSFS will be my main sim. I think most people are just missing their favorite payware addon's.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

29 minutes ago, simbol said:

Reading all these it makes me feels MSFS is like marmite.. some people love it some people cannot stand it..

S.

Ah yes. Marmite. Hadn't thought of that in years.

The one big difference of course between marmite and MSFS is that at least marmite is great on toast.

...Lloyd

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX3080Ti Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

Just wish LM would get their act together and get 5.1 out the door or just get the EA (trusky) out of beta, 5.02 is ok but I may aswell stayed with v4 with the new wx visuals the way they are currently. Without a good shader mod tool v5 non EA looks mediocre compared to an up-revved v4, so much that I am on a fsim hiatus since April really.