Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Just Fired up P3dV5 for the first time since installing MSFS

1 hour ago, kand said:

Just wish LM would get their act together and get 5.1 out the door or just get the EA (trusky) out of beta, 5.02 is ok but I may aswell stayed with v4 with the new wx visuals the way they are currently. Without a good shader mod tool v5 non EA looks mediocre compared to an up-revved v4, so much that I am on a fsim hiatus since April really. 

I think LM like Laminar are avoiding the initial few weeks MSFS hype and carefully plotting their way forward. V5 was released early to get ahead of MSFS and LM learned not to rush (I hope).

I have both installed still.  I haven't been back to P3D since MSFS launched as I'm still trying it out and exploring what's what and I'm very much enjoying it but there again I am more of a GA/small airliner (ATR500) flyer than a tubeliner flyer.

I expect I'll go back to P3D at some point when I fancy flying the ATR or Airbus again and to enjoy some of the many addons I have in that sim that I can't yet get in MSFS so I can see both sims running alongside each other for a long while yet. 

For me, I haven't had any issues with stutters (that couldn't be fixed by closing other programs running on the PC at the same time), I had no installation issues and no CTD.  When P3DV5 launched, I could barely finish a flight without CTD and had real issues around some of the Orbx airports.  That was until I got hold on Windows 10 2004 which solved many of those issues but that didn't come for some months after launch and now it runs just fine.   If MSFS improves to that extent within the next three months I'll be more than happy but for now I'm quite content with both installed on my medium spec machine and using whichever takes my fancy on the day.  

On 8/25/2020 at 8:46 PM, GSalden said:

Then those others must have seen it wrong according to you and them posting that are not helping anyone .... 

Mmmm...🤔

MSFS is using 16 cores (HT on) on my system.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

On 8/25/2020 at 6:27 AM, honanhal said:

I'm getting much smoother performance in MSFS than in P3D (and obviously the visuals are at least a generation ahead). Sure, there are still evident performance issues, but there's literally never been a time when there weren't performance issues in P3D (or FSX, for that matter).

Ditto!!!

Chris Camp

11 hours ago, Nemo said:

MSFS is using 16 cores (HT on) on my system.

Mine as well!

Chris Camp

On 8/27/2020 at 8:45 AM, simbol said:

Reading all these it makes me feels MSFS is like marmite.. some people love it some people cannot stand it..

I bet it’s more like some people were born before 1975 and some people were born after. 

I had a few friends over who fly for Delta (flew, i should say with furloughs). One a 737 and the other a 757 pilot. Both said MSFS captures the magic of flying and couldn’t believe how fun it was. 

I know having a procedure/button simulator has its moments, but for many in this world, learning about aviation and flying captures something in their inner child that is magical, fun, and freeing.  P3D helped me learn about a world that was difficult to access. It’s great knowledge. I learned many things about flying, but MSFS captures my imagination and makes me remember why I love riding in real planes.  MSFS captures the true awe that is flying quite well.  

People keep acting like you can plug in parts to P3D and it will be MSFS, but while those engineer brains are good for IFR, they aren’t great at understanding what capture the hearts of all these wannabe pilots. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

All I do in MSFS2020 now is flying to my friends' houses to take screenshots and send them. Is MSF2020 any good for anything else atm? Seriously?

PS: but the requests are coming in and the backlog is growing I must admit

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

All I do in MSFS2020 now is flying to my friends' houses to take screenshots and send them. Is MSF2020 any good for anything else atm? Seriously?

Well... I'm currently reflying the "Cannibal Queen" route.  The good part is that I'm seeing the same scenery the author saw during the actual flights.  The bad part is that I can't do it in my custom paint job Stearman.  🙂 

I may do "Flight of Passage" next.  

For airliner flying, you're better off with P3D.  You may still be better off with P3D even after PMDG starts releasing MSFS aircraft.  For a good airliner experience you'll still need custom aircraft, custom airports, and you'll prefer VATSIM or similar.  Weather may be problematic.  Why change when you already have everything you need and it all works?

Hook

PS.  OK, the Mount Rushmore sculpture isn't there, probably lots of other details.  Maybe some day.  The Racetrack near El Paso was there.  Ground texture coloring on either side of the Rio Grande was... sub-optimal.  WOW was it sub-optimal.

H.

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I went back to P3d after msfs released and promptly uninstalled it and all the add ons ........lots of $ worth .But after the visuals and smoothness of MSFS I had too .

I compared LOWI p3d orbx to LOWI msfs and the difference is overwhelming . To me flying ,"and I have over 150 hours actual flight time " is as much if not more about the visuals .If the two could merge I'd be happy .I'm going to miss the q400 and fslabs 320 ,but hopefully not for to long . VFR around my home and doing circuits using landmarks that I've actually used is awesome . I've supported P3d and all its add-on suppliers for a long time  . Also the ability to just fire it up and fly is sublime ,with P3d I had to start everything first weather,AI ,ground services ect , and with all the scenery it still doesn't come close . Mind you I have had a pretty seamless install, and if I be reasonable with my scenery expectations regarding my PC's power it runs smooth . Granted the aircraft in the box aren't the greatest but either are stock P3d aircraft ,which I think I only ever used briefly  .I do think people forget how Xplane and P3d also lack decent aircraft straight out of the box ....The good thing is competition between developers is good , as better software standards will be set . 

P3Dv5 : without EA

No rush for MSFS here ....

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

On 8/27/2020 at 10:51 PM, Pugilist2 said:

Once some issues get fixed, MSFS will be my main sim. I think most people are just missing their favorite payware addon's.

Yeah and most of us old fellas won't be around by the time they get this one fixed🤕

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/31/2020 at 10:16 AM, GSalden said:

P3Dv5 : without EA

Are you using any shader enhancement for non-EA flying?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

20 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Are you using any shader enhancement for non-EA flying?

Yes, EnvShade + my custom Sun ( godrays in non EA mode )

Sun.jpg

Dusk%203.jpg

Dusk%204.jpg

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

@GSaldenmore nice shots.  thanks for sharing.  How is your ENV working?  I had issues with PMDG and maddog cockpits looking off.  lighting and such.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

11 minutes ago, micstatic said:

@GSaldenmore nice shots.  thanks for sharing.  How is your ENV working?  I had issues with PMDG and maddog cockpits looking off.  lighting and such.  

Here I have a real size cockpit with real hardware so no issues like that.

Real cockpit lighting ...