Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

Waves on shoreline?

Can someone post a video (or a link) on how ocean waves hit the shoreline? It was totally unrealistic in all previous versions of FSX/P3D. Thanks.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

They seem to work in certain areas and not in others, but from what i saw in NZ the other day when departing with strong winds they are realistic and 100% improvement on FSX/P3d.

• Like 3

tpewpb-6.png

From what I've seen on the west coast of Vancouver Island in BC, waves are non-existent.  It's a popular surfing location for a reason 😄

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1

Same here, have been all over the world and have yet to see any coastal type waves breaking.

Edited by SceneryFX

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

There is an exaggerated ripple effect on the shoreline that's supposed to simulate waves but it looks pretty bad imo since it's too regular. They could improve it by adding some foam and variation. It would be incredible to see realistic breakers and surf but that's probably asking too much.

This early on in release it's hard to say what is a work in progress and what is considered finished. The first set of trailers showed lakes and oceans as uniform blocks of water, missing those random surface patterns you see in real life, it's a small detail but when the rest of the environment is modeled so convincingly it stuck out as artificial. At some point they've added those effects and the results are better than expected.

So it's difficult to criticize any visual flaws when the team are not only technically proficient but also possess that discerning artists eye that is essential in creating a believable world. The talent and skill is definitely there, it comes down to time, budget and priorities.

• Like 1

Having just done a flight with rough oceans, the shore breakers looked great, so really it's just the calmer weather that needs tweaking.

1 hour ago, -space-pirate- said:

Turn the wind speed up to 40-50knts and the waves really start looking good

The couple of threads mentioning waves (or lack thereof), even in a place where a storm is approaching, coupled with this suggestion to increase wind manually, is giving me the impression that weather and wind in the simulator are disconnected... I don't know, but if people are flying in stormy weather and the sea is flat, but you can altar wind manually to affect waves, it implies that by weather the developers just mean a difference between wet or dry and wind has nothing to do with anything. I hoped that I'd fly around and at some point encounter bad weather with rough seas, seeing a natural and automatic transition - not have to fiddle with a setting for wind.

Has anyone seen a change in wind and waves while flying as the weather conditions worsen?

Edited by March Hare

Only place I’ve seen it look good was ronaldsway airport on the Isle of Man. It looked almost real, there was a little storm and the waves were crashing on the beach next to the airport. 

@Ianrivaldosmith A video of waves crashing on the beach would be beyond great. Can you please upload to YouTube? Thank you.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

I flew around Hawaii several times and have just seen calm waters when it should be waves. Especially the north shore where it's a famous surfer spot. I think the problem is that live weather is buggy at the moment and the wind problem of 225/3 kts is the issue why most of us aren't seeing any real action or motion in the oceans.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

I flew around Hawaii several times and have just seen calm waters when it should be waves. Especially the north shore where it's a famous surfer spot. I think the problem is that live weather is buggy at the moment and the wind problem of 225/3 kts is the issue why most of us aren't seeing any real action or motion in the oceans.

Who knows but checked winds and found MSFS 2020 does not seem to handle gusts properly. It showed the highest gust factor as the actual winds per the ATIS. Highly doubt they modeled winds or gusts for that matter into anything to do with waves....

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

It definitely seems regional.

I've flown in various places around the world with the same weather preset and not seen waves. Back in the U.K. the waves are always there with the same weather.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.