Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Lack of boats?

I'm not seeing many boats on the Puget Sound or anywhere else I have the slider on 80.  Wonder if the water masking is hiding them?  Really loving the sim though.

Edited by Todd2
add
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeh i haven't seen any boats either. Did a Mediterranean flight and most of it was over water but nothing. 

• Like 1

If you crank the ship and boat sliders fully to the right, you'll get a few yachts, cruise ships and cargo vessels in some areas.

I saw a lot of luxury yachts at the Côte d’Azur.

• Like 1

The seas, in general, have been a bit of a liquid desert for me. 

1. No boats other than those oddly frozen "beneath" the surface as a by-product of the satellite imagery. 

2. No coral reefs like portrayed in the marketing videos. 

3. No animation of the waves at the shores.

4. The flights I've had have all been over entirely calm, flat seas. No water crests. No waves of any sort. 

Don't get me wrong, this is another one of those things where, on the whole this is better a net positive for look, but just not in the ways I expected. We'll see where time takes us on this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

Good to know. I've been assuming I'd see them just along the way, but haven't yet. One trip was out to Nassau in front of the storm front rolling in two days ago and flat seas again.

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

2 minutes ago, Pevenhull said:

This isn't a Yachting sim !

I demand realistic yacht schedules! BTW, have you seen the situation with what are apparently aircraft carriers that the sim turns into strange rectangular islands along with their wakes? I don't remember where that links was, but it's wild.

I think the waves need to be adjusted, I have flown around many parts of the world, like in Hawaii for instance where you should definitely be able to see the waves. I believe algorithim for wave detection is unsensitive. I really hope Asobo fixes this so that the oceans will look more alive like they do in the real world.

As for ships, I don't recall seeing any and my settings for leisure and boats are set at default at 50. Should see a decent amount at that value. I know in FSX/P3D that when I set ships and boats to 5 that I still see them.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just set both the ship and boat sliders to 100. It still doesn't show a lot of sea traffic then, but it's better than nothing.

At least you get these nice luxury yachts then, that you can land next to in the A5. 🙂

unknown.png

Edited by Der Zeitgeist
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Sea traffic has always been cack in flight simulators. FSX and P3D have pretty much the same options as the new sim, and I've flown those sims over the busiest shipping lane in the world (Strait of Dover, roughly 600 vessels per day) for years and never seen much in the way of shipping there. You're lucky if you see any ships at all in the sim in that location. In reality there should be one ship through the Strait every minute or so.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

This highlights the need for an add-on similar to the brilliant freeware Global AI Shipping.

These things will come, I'm sure.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

43 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Just set both the ship and boat sliders to 100. It still doesn't show a lot of sea traffic then, but it's better than nothing.

At least you get these nice luxury yachts then, that you can land next to in the A5. 🙂

unknown.png

Beautiful!!!!!

Other than the scenery clipping through the side of the yacht.  

Where was that taken?

Looks like Hong Kong Harbor possibly?

Chris Camp

11 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Beautiful!!!!!

Other than the scenery clipping through the side of the yacht.  

Where was that taken?

Looks like Hong Kong Harbor possibly?

That was just off Monaco. The entire Côte d'Azur has a lot of boat traffic.

The funny thing about that shot was that I didn't even try landing next to that yacht. I just set my plane down in the water because I was on the phone for a while, and let the sim run with my engine off. Then that boat drove up to me during my phonecall and just sat there close to my plane for half an hour. When I got off the phone, I just turned the Icon around to get a better shot. 😄

Edited by Der Zeitgeist
  • Like 2

Lest we should forget the sim is only a week old; there will be lots of development going forward, this a marathon not a sprint and we know how much after work went into all the other sim platforms to make them truly incredible.