Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Cockpit lighting

Anyone else feel that the interior lighting needs some serious work? I have not flown at night so I won't comment but in daylight it is sometimes very difficult to see. This is with bloom on or off. Using the panel lighting during the day has little or no effect at all. I know there's a "flashlight" mode but haven't a clue how to use it. Some undocumented ( for me) key command.

The overall lighting looks very good.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I agree, as a generalization the eye adaption algorithm they use has the outside too bright with the interior too dark. Everybody's perception is different, I would like to see personal adjustment on this. Would like the option to marrow the Delta.

For the flashlight there is a option in General -- Camera to select Auto or Manual. In manual you can bind a command to switch on and off (I think ALT + l as default).

Auto is very hit and miss for me (more miss than hit). Manual works in some aircraft but not others.

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

I flew the 172 last night and the lighting was pretty awesome. The lamps, glare shield and gauges all had nobs to increase/decrease the light intensity. I also assigned the flashlight to a button on my CH yoke. 

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

6 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

I flew the 172 last night and the lighting was pretty awesome. The lamps, glare shield and gauges all had nobs to increase/decrease the light intensity. I also assigned the flashlight to a button on my CH yoke. 

I just did a night flight in the 172 and I agree, they did the night lighting very nicely on this one and I have many hours in 172's at night IRL.  Some of the Garmin equipped aircraft do not have dimmable screens so I find them to way to bright for night flight.

31 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Anyone else feel that the interior lighting needs some serious work? I have not flown at night so I won't comment but in daylight it is sometimes very difficult to see. This is with bloom on or off. Using the panel lighting during the day has little or no effect at all. I know there's a "flashlight" mode but haven't a clue how to use it. Some undocumented ( for me) key command.

Vic - I have not noticed issues with panel lighting during day but I guess I haven't needed it with the daytime brightness.  The flashlight toggle is ALT-L but not sure if it works during the day? 

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I suppose it could be aircraft dependent, too. I, too, think the C172 lighting is very well done. I've been flying it mostly in the daytime and turning up the brightness made a huge difference for me. At night, I think it looks great.

I've also seen the flashlight effect at night on the Diamond DV-20. There are no panel or instrument lights so all you get is the flashlight. It's an interesting effect. Not a way anyone would actually fly it at night, though, except in an emergency, of course 😉

If you get in the cockpit and it's dark when you first start up, the "L" key turns on all of the lights at once so you can at least see.

Edited by erickrueger

AMD 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 42" LG C3 OLED 4K TV/Monitor

Yeah, night lighting is the best a flight sim has to offer.

I flew in the G1000 172 at night and the feeling is pretty close, esp with the reflection on the windscreens.

If you feel it is too bright, turn it down, just like in the real world

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, avistudent said:

If you feel it is too bright, turn it down, just like in the real world

Did you read the OP. Vic is talking about the cockpit lighting during the day!

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

172 Steam gauge version has great panel lighting in the day. Well when needed, overcast etc.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

19 hours ago, reignman40 said:

Is your CH Yoke working correctly?  I might get one since it's within my budget.

I fly the 172 and find the daytime cockpit lighting in cloudy flying deplorable. It is pitch black. I have to turn on full panel and radio lights to see anything

Stampee

2 hours ago, McPlane said:

Is your CH Yoke working correctly?  I might get one since it's within my budget.

Yeah it works just fine. You have to set up all the buttons/axis though. It's not like the honeycomb or saitek where it is picked up automatically and pre-mapped. 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

I cannot find a way to dim the G3000 in the TBM at night. It is ridiculously bright... not even useable in any realistic way. 

46 minutes ago, jpe828 said:

I cannot find a way to dim the G3000 in the TBM at night. It is ridiculously bright... not even useable in any realistic way. 

Ditto

On 8/25/2020 at 12:00 PM, michaelray said:

I agree, as a generalization the eye adaption algorithm they use has the outside too bright with the interior too dark. Everybody's perception is different, I would like to see personal adjustment on this. Would like the option to marrow the Delta.

For the flashlight there is a option in General -- Camera to select Auto or Manual. In manual you can bind a command to switch on and off (I think ALT + l as default).

Auto is very hit and miss for me (more miss than hit). Manual works in some aircraft but not others.

Agreed, the outside world isn't always so bright as is depicted in MSFS 2020.

According to many users X Plane 11 has problems with brightness (black level), contrast and a general murky muddy appearance, in the case of MSFS 2020 it seems to be just a simple case of brightness.

It'd be nice to have 2 new user adjustments one for panel brightness and the other for the outside world.

The A320 at night seems to have some sort of hidden dome lighting that lights up the cockpit making it impossible to get it really dark. The beacon shines through the floor, and the wing lights actually light up the cockpit instead of outside 😄 Seems the winglights are underneath the cockpit pointing upwards instead of straight ahead/out on the wings. 

While we are talking about lights, I really wish landing lights would illuminate further ahead. The range is way too short. 

Edited by Andreas Stangenes

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78