Sign in to follow this  
cwburnett

Updated CJ4 Performance - Updated engines.cfg

NOTE: This is a mod for the default MSFS Cessna Citation CJ4 - file at the bottom - please read the instructions and info below:

So the CJ4 has really been bugging me for a long time...and now that we're in release, I've decided to make some changes to the engines.cfg file to better reflect real world performance. I've included a link to this revised file below, as well as a revised panel.xml (as this was required to prevent an annoying cabin altitude warning above 40,000')

Notes about the CJ4 and this modification:

-First, this is far from perfect, simply a step towards rationality for the aircraft. Please feel free to test it out and I'd appreciate feedback on your experience with range and performance.

-Long range cruise is targeted at a TAS of 390 at 45,000, max cruise is 425 kts at 45,000. At max gross weight, you can climb directly to 45,000 and cruise for about 3 hours with IFR minimums. That will not get you real range, but a much more reasonable ~1500 miles.

-Performance was tweaked to allow for an initial climb rate of about 3,750 fpm (max gross takeoff) at a cruise climb speed of 240 kts. I find that initially setting climb with VS at 2000 fpm until reaching 240 kts, then setting vs to 4000 fpm and only once you're established at about 240 in a climb of about 4000 fpm, set FLC at an airspeed of 245 - this will keep you at 240 pretty well until... about 30,000 feet

-Maintain 240 kts until mach .74 (around 30,000' if I remember) and then i've found that the mach hold doesn't work that well, so you can either incrementally lower your target airspeed or just go back to VS intially at about 1,000 fpm and by 35,000 down to about 500 fpm up to 45,000. This climb procedure roughly reflects reality and will result in about a half hour climb to 45,000' - about right.

-For reference, V1 and Vr will be about 97 kts light, 107 kts medium weight and 112 kts max gross. V2 will be about 10 knots higher in all cases. Vref will be about 105 unless you're particularly heavy - best to shoot for the green donut in the glareshield AOA for best final approach speed.

-Takeoff distance is about right. Around 2000' lightly loaded with a vr in the mid-high 90s and around 3000' heavy, with an extra 1000' needed to clear an obstacle.

-After takeoff, I recommend maintaining about 95% N2; you will eventually find yourself at full throttle as you try to maintain this value - then leave throttles full forward for the climb.

Further work is required to get the cruise fuel burn down lower without making the takeoff and climb burns unrealistically low. I welcome suggestions on how to do this within the SDK - I admit to not having thoroughly read what documentation is there, mostly because I've heard from others it isn't very detailed at this point. Cruise fuel burn about halfway through cruise should be about 1000-1100 pph total. We're still burning 1600 ish, so a not insignificant difference. Nonetheless, you can take 2+ hour regional flights now without flaming out.

To install, first shut down the sim. Then you will need to find the "Official" folder where you pointed MSFS to install the 90GB of downloaded content when you first ran MSFS. For me, that was a folder I created on my E drive called MSFS (E:\MSFS); for those of you that chose the default location, it is in your appdata folder and, to be honest, I dont know exactly where. I would suggest searching your hard drive for this folder "asobo-aircraft-cj4"

Mine is located here: E:\MSFS\Official\OneStore\asobo-aircraft-cj4

Open the "asobo-aircraft-cj4" folder then "SimObjects" then "Airplanes" then finally "Asobo_CJ4"

I strongly recommend making a backup of the "Asobo_CJ4" folder somewhere safe, in case you want to revert. MAKE A BACKUP! MAKE A BACKUP!

Once you've MADE YOUR BACKUP, you're ready to put the two edited files in place:

First, copy and replace the engines.cfg file that you into the "Asobo_CJ4" overwriting the existing file.

Second, copy and replace the panel.xml file into the "Panel" folder overwriting the existing file.

That's it. Start the sim and enjoy.

I would like to figure out how to do this in the community folder, but haven't even begun to figure that out. Maybe I will, maybe I wont...we'll see.

Here's the download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j0FcNvxSYqAttAaxBPIVH22-Hzx-pJ3e/view?usp=sharing

Edited by w6kd
edited by mod: updated download link
  • Like 22
  • Upvote 7

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

big thanks for this! Really appreciate it!

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Many thanks for your trouble.

Definitely, I will try that because otherwise CJ4 is not usable.
Longitude suffers for the same fuel guzzler engines in the sim.
Confess I didn’t use it much beside a spin in the pattern because I can’t climb more than 2000 ft AGL. Still marveled with the views from the cockpit so I tend to fly low and slow in SEP aircraft.

Nuno Braga

4 hours ago, bragametro said:

Longitude suffers for the same fuel guzzler engines in the sim.

Yea, as far as I can tell/have heard, since the Logitude is one of the aircraft not in the base version, the cfg files are locked away making it harder to mod.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this.  I will try it out this afternoon.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

We need a subforum for mods!

• Like 9

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

49 minutes ago, strider1 said:

We need a subforum for mods!

I know, right. Nothing lasts on the first page or two very long!

• Like 2

Thanks a ton for doing this! Finally usable...

Two questions:

1. I still get cabin alt warning and I did install all files as per your instructions.

2. Any chance you could do the same mod for the Longitude?

Cheers!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
i9-9900K - EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra Gaming - 32GB DDR4 3200 - EVGA Z390 FTW - Windows 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, dihedral said:

1. I still get cabin alt warning and I did install all files as per your instructions.

Are you getting it after an actual climb, or did you slew or accelerate time? I found that if you slew, or use the 'travel to' features, it kinda screws everything up. Also, can you confirm (and I know you said you did) you put the panel.xml file inside the Panel folder, and not in the root with the engines.cfg?

8 minutes ago, dihedral said:

2. Any chance you could do the same mod for the Longitude?

Since the Longitude is, I believe, locked up tight because it is part of the deluxe premium diamond encrusted package, I don't think I can get to it. But happy to be proven wrong if someone can direct me to it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

Are you getting it after an actual climb, or did you slew or accelerate time? I found that if you slew, or use the 'travel to' features, it kinda screws everything up. Also, can you confirm (and I know you said you did) you put the panel.xml file inside the Panel folder, and not in the root with the engines.cfg?

Since the Longitude is, I believe, locked up tight because it is part of the deluxe premium diamond encrusted package, I don't think I can get to it. But happy to be proven wrong if someone can direct me to it.

It was a climb not slew or travel to.

And I totally understand about the Longitude. Hopefully sometime it will get fixed.

Thanks again!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
i9-9900K - EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra Gaming - 32GB DDR4 3200 - EVGA Z390 FTW - Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, dihedral said:

It was a climb not slew or travel to.

Yea, it is pretty buggy. The cheat is to just open that panel.xml file in Notepad++ or another text editor and then navigate to the line that says "Cabin Altitude" and increase the value that it warns at. Since there's no change of decompression anyhow, you could just artificially set it all the way up to 40000 and that should eliminate it. Remember to restart the sim after making changes to the file.

• Like 1

Are others getting the cabin altitude warning?

@dihedral are you still seeing that? Did you make a further change to the panel.xml file?

• Like 1

@cwburnett Haven't had a chance yet but will test again and will let you know. Thanks for the follow up.

Cheers,