Sign in to follow this  
Paladin2005

How to find airport ILS frequencies?

Dear pilots,

while i am flying around and i want to find out the frequencies of any airport out there...how can i find them out?

The VFR Map does not provide such information, i zoom in but i dont find anything, can not click on the airport.

Do i need to use the G1000 MFD?

What if i fly in a steam gauge aircraft?

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Whether this is the best or not, I jump on flightaware.com.  You can search by airport, then select IFR plates - this will give you all the ILS / LOC / RNAV (however else you can land via instruments) and how to get it set up.  I experimented with this last night and had good success with it.  I can only read about 15% of the document, but thats up from like 2% when I first started. 

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

I miss this too.  In P3d, if you're flying with the default GPS, you can hit the Procedure button and all the ILS frequencies come up for the airport.  I wish there were something built into MSFS that could bring up ILS frequencies based on the Arrival airport selected.

Stan

• Upvote 1

Both Flightaware and Skyvector do not appear to have ILS frequencies for Canadian airports. Or UK airports. Maybe only US airports? At least I can't find them on those sites.

If you are just wanting ILS frequencies and do not need charts or plates, you might want to try https://flightplandatabase.com/tools.

...jim

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

You look on the map when planning your flight, then note the frequencies you will need along your route and write them down on a pad (or kneeboard). This is how it is done in real life, and is how you do it in the sim.

• Like 8

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Or just google "EGLL charts" or "CYUL Charts" 

• Like 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

14 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

If you are just wanting ILS frequencies and do not need charts or plates, you might want to try https://flightplandatabase.com/tools.

Nice site. Thanks for the link.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

12 minutes ago, Chock said:

You look on the map when planning your flight, then note the frequencies you will need along your route and write them down on a pad (or kneeboard). This is how it is done in real life, and is how you do it in the sim.

Thanks Chock, i feared that answer.

I dont care how its done in reality. This is a game with an ingame map, and it should be able to show all information on the navdata available in the game.

For sure a big weakness of this - in current state - useless VFR map.

The FSX/P3D map was small, but more more of use.

• Like 3

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Yeah, I agree it should have an in-game nav log/scratchpad which dumps that info, allows you to add stuff and it should have frequencies accessible from the map in flight.

FSX had that. P3D is meant to have it but it's broken in P3D and has been for several versions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Paladin2005 said:

Dear pilots,

while i am flying around and i want to find out the frequencies of any airport out there...how can i find them out?

The VFR Map does not provide such information, i zoom in but i dont find anything, can not click on the airport.

Do i need to use the G1000 MFD?

What if i fly in a steam gauge aircraft?

From what I have seen, you will need an outside source if flying steam gauge aircraft.

For planes equipped with a GPS unit / MFD, you will need to use the unit to display the apt freq.

I have only flown the Virus SW 121 equipped with the 530, I have to scroll to the WPT page (int he GPS unit, not the MFD), enter the airport ID, and the additional pages within that category contain the runway info / freq etc.

@Paladin2005 I guess an interim "fix" may be to use another device when flying, such as a tablet or phone to look for the frequencies whilst you're simming. That was you don't have to alt-tab out of the sim or whatever. You can probably call up an airport diagram too!

Especially useful if you haven't got a flight plan in mind (it's a sim so all the real world rules do not have to apply); You are just cruising about in the sim enjoying the scenery and "Ooh! That look s like an interesting airport to land at.." :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

If you have the GTN for P3D/XP just load the Trainer, even if you don't have those you can download the trainer from Garmin. Ok I have the 1909 and I think it's been updated and I'm ok with that, but you can have Freq's, charts, proc, info on any VOR, waypoint ect... even make a flight plan. The other tool you can use is LNM if you have access to the latest nav data.

WEqoLEY.jpg

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

a big weakness of this - in current state - useless VFR map

To be fair, a VFR map DOESN'T include ILS frequencies, at least my UK one doesn't.

We need an IFR map, like Xplane, where you can click on a navaid and load it's frequencies in to the sim 🙂

• Like 2