Sign in to follow this  
keithb77

Gliding...

The SDK provides the capability to import FSX models, with limitations.

Only started today, and gliding rather than soaring, but hopeful...

• Like 1

still can't believe they put all that effort into modeling updrafts and such and didn't include a glider at launch. I was amazed they didn't do like a quick glider tease to close out their developer video on the weather system

• Upvote 1

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

There is a glider in development for the sim. Can't remember who from, might have been Aerosoft. Saw a screenshot of it in the sim's Hangar, so it must be fairly complete.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, keithb77 said:

The SDK provides the capability to import FSX models, with limitations.

Only started today, and gliding rather than soaring, but hopeful...

So no thermals found? Dang... 

We seriously need gliders in MSFS. One of the best ways to create excitement in a civilian simulation - and great for multiplayer.

Every minute of that 2 hour flight counts with your flying skills used all the time. Not only for takeoff and landing. And the constant thinking about the next cloud to go for while trying to squeeze a tiny bit more lift out of that narrow thermal... Then deciding that it's not good enough and you are wasting time. Gung Ho for that small Cumulus that seems to grow fast. But you really are low - so was it really the right choice? Mmm... The only one I have played that works well is Condor 2 that is a great soaring simulator. But the scenery and especially the clouds in MSFS really would be nice. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

I really enjoyed soaring in FSX with CumulusX and the DiscusX sailplane.  Would be nice to be able to do that in MSFS.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

3 hours ago, Chock said:

There is a glider in development for the sim. Can't remember who from, might have been Aerosoft. Saw a screenshot of it in the sim's Hangar, so it must be fairly complete.

Iris Simulations are working on a Grob G103 at the moment. 

Edited by ckukmale

Just now, ckukmale said:

That was probably it. Looked like a Grob on the pic I saw. Grobs are not my fave gliders in real life; don't like the pedal arrangement they insist on and there are other gliders of the same class which fly a lot better than the Grob, but in a sim that doesn't matter too much, so I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 minutes ago, ckukmale said:

Well - nice to hear that someone is doing a glider. but even though I got certified for aerobatics in a Grob 103 I must say that it's very long down on the list of gliders I would like to have in this sim unfortunately. Kind of like a plastic Bergfalke 😉 Odd choice - but it's used as a trainer in many clubs so I guess that is the reason?

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

10 minutes ago, Chock said:

That was probably it. Looked like a Grob on the pic I saw. Grobs are not my fave gliders in real life; don't like the pedal arrangement they insist on and there are other gliders of the same class which fly a lot better than the Grob, but in a sim that doesn't matter too much, so I'm looking forward to it.

Yes - like a DG-500 / 1000 if you want something in the heavy trainer class... Nice plane to take friends for a ride with some aerobatics to spice it up. But give us an LS-8 for std or a Ventus 3 for 15 or 18 meter instead 🙂 Why give us an old station wagon when there are Ferraris out there?

Edited by mazex
  • Like 1

Me wants!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'll be happy with a Twin Astir for now, more likely to fly one or similar in real life

Here a very good place where you can find a lot of good gliders for free, I hope that Wolfgang Piper will work for FSXX.

https://www.fsglider.de/

• Like 1

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).