Sign in to follow this  
Concorde79

errors in the height mesh of the rivers, roads etc.

Been flying for about 24 hours now in total, around the world in different locations and everywhere I see height errors in rivers, lakes, roads, pyramid shape mountains popping out of nowhere etc.

How did they even consider this simulator to be release worthy or even a beta candidate ?

I understand that the ai plays big part in it, but they should have atleast checked the state of the scenery before releasing. Mostly it looks good and is ok, but from where I have flown to the errors in scenery are immersion breaking and totally dont justify this being a full priced AAA release at this stage.Counting even the numerous other bugs and aviation related bugs, this is closer to alpha rather than a product that would pass quality control.

I think they're working on correcting mesh / topography data. 

When I flew around ENGM a few days ago, the terrain was correct. Then I flew around ENBR the same day, and there were multiple errors in elevation for lakes etc. 

Today I flew around ENGM again, but the elevation data was wrong. Rivers going up and down with the terrain, roads wrong and so on. 

So I think they're working on this stuff continiously. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

the world is big, most parts i seen were very good.

any inconsistencies should be send to their zendesk..i bet they got a huuge list already.

Even 1/3rd arc-second Digital Elevation Models (DEMs) which are the most common highest resolution mesh maps available will have all kinds of roads and rivers running sideways, slanted, tilted or other weird positions.  The 1/3rd Arc has a elevation point approximately every 10 meters apart, everything in between is extrapolated.  There is very, very limited coverage for 1/9 Arc which is  approximately every 3 meters apart, this would give the best river/road mesh compliance.

When you see rounded mountain tops you know should be jagged, it is due to the averaging between data points and can not be corrected without better mesh/arc data.

1 arc-second (approximately every 30 meters apart), is the some of the most widely used since the mesh calculations and jpg's required to cover don't require as much data to download.

3 hours ago, Concorde79 said:

Been flying for about 24 hours now in total, around the world in different locations and everywhere I see height errors in rivers, lakes, roads, pyramid shape mountains popping out of nowhere etc.

How did they even consider this simulator to be release worthy or even a beta candidate ?

I understand that the ai plays big part in it, but they should have atleast checked the state of the scenery before releasing. Mostly it looks good and is ok, but from where I have flown to the errors in scenery are immersion breaking and totally dont justify this being a full priced AAA release at this stage.Counting even the numerous other bugs and aviation related bugs, this is closer to alpha rather than a product that would pass quality control.

https://www.msfsaddons.org/scenery

Some fixes for Alaska.  I'm sure everywhere else will follow soon

Edited by ErichB

7 hours ago, Concorde79 said:

but they should have atleast checked the state of the scenery before releasing

well then they'd probably have to call it MSFS2023 - at a best guess

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

Yes there are some inconsistencies but I'm just glad things are where they are in real life for one 

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

I'm glad they released it now as I'm having a blast flying it.  I've seen numerous of these errors hopefully they get fixed

Sizing of canals and river tributaries are a tad large. Inland water surface elevations are a good metre too high.

On 8/25/2020 at 1:05 PM, Concorde79 said:

but they should have atleast checked the state of the scenery before releasing.

It's a big freaking planet, you know how long that would take?

• Like 1