Sign in to follow this  
Tom_L

POV - am I the only one?

I am 6'7'' tall and therefore accustomed to a fairly high viewpoint in real planes- but you can be a lot shorter and nevertheless notice that the standard viewpoints of the standard cockpit camera a far too low - you can't see the runway in most of the planes when lining up, let alone on final with nose up attitude. And when you "tune" the camera to a realistic viewpoint, the cockpit geometry in a lot of planes prevents you from looking at crucial instruments. Have a look at this guy here.

7J6tsMo.jpg

He has set up a fairly realistic point of view, and look at the MFD - you can't even see essential information as torque and ITT on the MFD. Even if you set your POV a little bit lower, you can't see vital information. If you feel this needs to be changed, I urge you to report the issue to MS/Asobo via Zendesk.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

Noticed this too. It’s an issue on many sims for some reason. In my Cessna, I always like to see the nose, which isn’t the default here... Had to set up custom views to fix it. And it does obscure some important instruments sometimes.

Edited by FlyingInACessna
  • Like 1

I thought that did a better job than in X-Plane where everything looks giant and up close to me.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

I definitely have that issue in the Cirrus as well. You end up doing short final on hopes & prayers.

• Like 1

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

VR is the answer and it's not too far away. TrackIR also helps as you can lean forward to see the gauges and resume your position quickly.

• Like 1

Yes, every single one of them are too low and too far back. Unfortunately that's just the limitation of trying to cram the entire essential instrumentation into the limited space on a panel. I've never done VR, but I would think you'd be able to do much better in VR.

Chris

yes, I noticed this too, something is wrong with the FOV
It either looks like you are a child pretending to drive dad's car, or you're piloting from the backseats.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

16 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

He has set up a fairly realistic point of view, and look at the MFD - you can't even see essential information as torque and ITT on the MFD. Even if you set your POV a little bit lower, you can't see vital information. If you feel this needs to be changed, I urge you to report the issue to MS/Asobo via Zendesk.

There's a setting for high or low view cockpit. I always use the high view which actually is just a little too high. The default to swap between these two is the space bar. In addition, there are assignable commands for next cockpit view and previous cockpit view, or something along those lines. I assigned these to my joystick so that I can easily swap around quickly.

This is mostly a problem in the King Air, as there are soft buttons along the top of the MFD, and the glareshield overhangs the MFD. You can see the next cockpit view and previous cockpit view in action here:

And I strongly recommend using the 'upper' cockpit view as you generally get a much better view. That default view is fairly useless except for IFR in the clouds I guess when it doesn't matter.

• Upvote 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

The standard views are way too low, but the custom camera options work great.  I just raised up the seat a bit and changed the view and have a good angle on most cockpits.  I just change the "reset view" button to be custom camera 0 and customize that for every plane.  The custom cameras are really easy to set up.  I went through every plane and set up 5-6 views.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Yes, high and low views and custom cameras are an option (I think the camera system is great btw., I nearly have reached the same functionality as in P3D with EZCA), but you need one fairly realistic view for takeoff and landing, where you can see the runway ahead and your critical engine values.

I pointed this out before it was released and merely looking at YT videos. Immediately I got flack from other posters saying I was being nitpicking and absurdly negative. As the OP hints, it is not just a question of how high or low you can adjust the position once it has been hard coded in a sim aircraft 3d model. There are three more factors: The angle of view relative to the runway. the angle of view relative to the panel and the angle of view relative to the scenery. But there is a fourth which is the 3d model.

As his illustration shows, it is not just a matter of raising or lowering the viewpoint in the sim.once the core viewpoint is set. The 3d model is extremely important because if the viewpoint in that model is wrong, no amount of adjustment later is going to do much more than gloss over the problem.It should be possible to construct a 3d cockpit so that everything relevant is in view. It takes a lot of work but it is possible.

If you look carefully at nearly every YT video you can see very clearly that the 3d base viewpoint is extremely low. Raising it as a camera adjustment might alleviate some things but in most of the FS 2020 aircraft it is not angled correctly except from a rather short child's viewpoint.

OK, in comparison with the fantastic scenery, lighting, weather and other factors, you could say this is a low priority, but people who are talented in design usually spot these things very quickly and think "Does that look right?. Maybe I can improve this. So I'll step back and really think hard about this, or consult others".

Edited by robert young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Just set up custom cockpit views.  I have my height, zoom and angle set to my liking. You aren't locked to the default views the sim ships with.  I also have at least 8 other cockpits views set up for panels and such.  

Edited by tgsweat
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tgsweat said:

Just set up custom cockpit views.  I have my height, zoom and angle set to my liking.   I also have at least 8 other cockpits views set up for panels and such.  

The adjustments do help, but they don't address what I was talking about.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Is there a way to undock some of the instruments in the stock AC? That would help to be able to move to my 2nd monitor.

Yes, hold CTRL and point with the mouse onto the instrument until it shows a symbol (a magnifier i think) and then left klick opens the screen in a separate window. So a second monitor it is? :-))