Sign in to follow this  
kaosfere

I have seen flawed perfection.

I think I just had the most sublime simulated flight of my life, thanks to MSFS.  Here's how maybe you can, too:

Take your Shock Ultra to CYDF, dial in some low scattered clouds.   (I used live weather, which happened to be *perfect*, but low scattered should be just fine.) Depart just before dawn, as soon as it's light enough for you to see the horizon.  I left around 5:45; it was still dark enough to make taxiing the tail-dragger without taxi lights a fun challenge.   Pick up the highway just south of the field and follow it NW until it forks at Wiltondale, then head roughly west by north and make for the Tablelands, an amazing natural rock formation.   As the sun rises above the horizon you can circle the plateau, find a spot and land on it.

The terrain, the golden-hour light, the shadows and reflections...  MSFS just nails it perfectly.    I have a whole folder of images I could share, but I won't spam, so here's just one.

This thing isn't without flaws, but when it's good, word-not-allowed is it good.

r7mXWxq.jpg

(What blows my mind is that that isn't the sun in that image... it's a *reflection* of the rising sun on the cockpit glass.   That's pretty dang cool, and the shadows just add to it.)

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 7

Thanks for posting. Always nice to See the positives about this SIM. 

Waiting patiently for VR. 

Yep. When it shines, it shines like a supernova. Last night I was bored so I decided to check out that hand-crafted bush airport in Alaska (forgot what it's called off the top of my head.) The sunset and cloud cover looked spectacular, and to top it off, someone else spawned there.while I was taxiing and we ended up taking turns doing touch and goes and a little sight seeing around the area in formation.

I don't want anyone (including myself) to lose sight of the shortcomings because I want the sim to be the best it can be, but even as it stands right now, you can have moments that are borderline magical.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, molleh said:

When it shines, it shines like a supernova.

That's a perfect way of putting it, thanks for that.

10 hours ago, molleh said:

Last night I was bored so I decided to check out that hand-crafted bush airport in Alaska (forgot what it's called off the top of my head.)

Nanwulek I think? Something like that anyway. It's another that i'm intending to look at later today.

• Upvote 1