Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Limited by MainThread?

6 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I downloaded process lasso, but the windows dynamic process thing was already disabled. However, what I noticed was that the process was listed as below normal priority. I put it to normal. 

All I can say is that since I have it running in the background, the CPU spikes causing stutters every couple of minutes went away. 

• Like 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

There's s situation getting discussion on flightsimulator forum which i also started a thread on yesterday where neither your GPU or any of your CPU cores are fully loaded, yet the sim is limiting on main thread, thus holding back FPS. Appears associated with the glass in the heavies... 787, A320, 747 and the Citation. It's been reported. Speculation on cause and solution.. you can read here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cpu-bug-limited-by-main-thread-is-causing-the-bad-fps/190971

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Ok Im kinda confused and at my ropes end here. In the hunt for best performance vs eye candy I have put windows gamemode on. I have put priority to background processes in windows, I have ht on in my bios. I have tried lasso and made sure the windows dynamic thread thing is turned off. 

I have reduced the resolution of my main monitor from its native 3440 x 1440 down to 1080x1920 and everything in between, and put the resolution in sim to match my monitor res set in ncp. I have tried setting vsync on and off, FPS limiter in ncp to half of my screen refresh (60mhz down from 100). 

The sim run FAIRLY smooth, but my cpu is very often at 100% utilization. Its running at 63 degrees c, so my cooling is doing a decent job of it, but its nowhere near the % I see others with my chip have. When I dont find it at 100% utilization, it sits around 60%. 

I have a asus ranger VIII mb, 2x16 dualchannel ddr4 dims 3200mhz, i7-6700k @4.4ghz, watercooled, asus rtx rog strix 2080ti overclocked by 150mhz. My 2080ti is sitting at 64%.  

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I have an i7 6700K @ 3.4ghz, watercooled, RTX 2070 SUPER.  32gb DRAM.  My system is always limited by GPU.  Always.

That tells me your system has a problem.  I'm not overclocked at all and performing better than your overclocked system.  I didn't do anything but install the sim.  I'm running a 4K monitor.

I would be curious to see your system's memory usage.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

17 minutes ago, WarpD said:

I have an i7 6700K @ 3.4ghz, watercooled, RTX 2070 SUPER.  32gb DRAM.  My system is always limited by GPU.  Always.

That tells me your system has a problem.  I'm not overclocked at all and performing better than your overclocked system.  I didn't do anything but install the sim.  I'm running a 4K monitor.

I would be curious to see your system's memory usage.

I also have the same CPU @4.4ghz and a 1080Ti with a 4K monitor, 32 GB memory. With the Airbus and the Dreamliner i am always CPU limited, with the other aircraft i am not but GPU limited. Did you check it with these aircraft ?

I have not touched the airliners.  I do not think the sim is ready for complex aircraft like airliners.  So... if that is where you're having performance issues... then... what I suspect to be a problem for developing complex aircraft is apparently true.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

You dont utilize the power of your GPU, that is why your CPU is at 100%. Up your graphics settings, you will not gain FPS but better looks without further decrease of FPS until your GPU is at 100%

Edited by Gomoto

2 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I've turned off AI traffic. What other settings impact the CPU the most?

Maybe  "ground aircraft density" ? Or car traffic.

Edited by MaVe64

MaVe Creations - FSLTL - Free AI sounds - Giving your airports more atmosphere!

www.mavecreations.weebly.com

OK, I tried the Process Lasso trick again, this time for a longer period and monitoring closely the occasional stutters and the core usage graphs.

It did no harm but it did not eliminate the periodical stutters either. However when Windows dynamic boosting was disabled, the usage graphs of the second group of 4 cores was more jagged and irregular, so I came to the conclusion that it's better not to mess with it.

Maybe it helps in case the Windows task scheduler is not efficient (AMD processors?) but in my case it didn't.

More info here: https://docs.microsoft.com/it-it/windows/win32/procthread/priority-inversion?redirectedfrom=MSDN

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

m2l0Tsa.png

FmE9I2P.png

E1eTmrx.png

VCIuuVb.jpg

N59BZDs.jpg

UhY7pUL.jpg

So here I am stuttering along at 17 fps with my 2080ti and i7-6700k at 4.4ghz, settings to medium, ai turned off, multiplayer turned off. 

Setting the global quality down to low end actually doesnt increase my fps by more than 2-3... 

Edited by Andreas Stangenes

Andreas Stangenes

Andreas,

That seems really low and strange that it does not scale. Is it the same in non-glass cockpits? On a i7 4700k with 1080 GLH, 1980p in EDDF with the A32n cloudes and rain I get between 23-28 flying at high settings.

Did you ever try Benchmark to see how your system compares to similar builds? Might be insightful in terms of hardware issues to look at

Good luck, Dominik 

Well I gave on on nvidia control panel for controlling my fps. I downloaded rivatuner and set my fps to 31. it seems to help, and I am now holding a steady 30 fps on highend settings. Will try to tweak further. Seems that my system doesnt handle unlimited fps very well..?

Edited by Andreas Stangenes

Andreas Stangenes