Sign in to follow this  
Spike1950

Real Weather .... Is that working for anyone?

I wish there was a 3rd party weather injector to get winds! 

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Keep reading this forum! There more than enough "wind" here...

...mostly hot air mind you, but nonetheless! 😎

• Like 6

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

9 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Just a friendly reminder to put these issues to Zendesk to bump it up the priority ladder.

Is this a fairly friendly, easy tool to use? I've tried to use the bug reporting tools for a different developer, and it just wasn't worth navigating the Captcha hell and obtuse UI of their "issue tracker".

On 8/26/2020 at 7:18 PM, styckx said:

I completely give up..  The depiction is great but the rabbit hole of madness is infuriating about how "live" the weather actually is

Same here, though my hurricane is at least over the Gulf now... I'd say it's position is about 24 hours old, give or take.

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!
  • Like 2

Looks like we will end up tweaking weather to Vatsim's ATIS\METAR to use correct runway, what a word not allowed(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

1 hour ago, Keto Ketchup said:

Is this a fairly friendly, easy tool to use? I've tried to use the bug reporting tools for a different developer, and it just wasn't worth navigating the Captcha hell and obtuse UI of their "issue tracker".

Yes, fairly foolproof, no picking squares with traffic lights etc.

You will need your OS build and sim build but otherwise it’s relatively painless.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Like I posted in another thread:

What about the highly advertised "live weather" system, that's either a hit-and-miss in some European areas, or is just completely broken (wind 225/3 above 1,000 ft and/or no similarity to the METAR) in the US and other places.

How will we ever be able to use a network like VATSIM if there's no common ground regarding the weather (and this common ground is supposed to be real-world conditions)? And please don't lecture me that their weather engine isn't based on METAR's--because I'm aware of it and it doesn't contribute anything to the topic; it could be based on input of fortune tellers as long as it's working IMO.

• Upvote 1

Since the weather is not based on current METAR and the weather provider doesn’t have accurate up to date weather for airports, I don’t see how MSFS can ever have accurate enough weather to fly on VATSIM properly. 

Funny how everybody claimed Active Sky is a thing of the past now. 

• Like 2

Strange results again this afternoon, even in Europe where it had been more reliable for me.

An earlier flight at Heathrow, wind direction was correct but only at the good old 3 KT when it probably should have been at least 10 KT. Once over 1000 FT the winds seemed to correct themselves.

Then i've just taken off from Jersey where there is some fairly nasty weather in close proximity. Fairly strong winds even on the runway along with heavy rain. As I climb i'm getting a fairly strong wind behind me which is consistent with the charts.

It's a windgate scandal! LOL

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

50 minutes ago, flycln said:

Since the weather is not based on current METAR and the weather provider doesn’t have accurate up to date weather for airports, I don’t see how MSFS can ever have accurate enough weather to fly on VATSIM properly. 

Funny how everybody claimed Active Sky is a thing of the past now. 

first : not everybody said that

2nd, i am sure they will fix it so at least it gives the correct winds, if they do that, i am fine with it.

i am also sure there still will be  a market for a good weather addon.

its way way too early to draw any fixed conclusions

Edited by wim123

Been flying in Europe and Northern Africa and getting lots of winds, Some as high as 40+. Wind seems to more broken in and around NA.

28 minutes ago, UAL4life said:

Will be sad if ActiveSky addons are not even possible...

HiFi have already posted that the SDK does not allow weather manipulation. Damian from HiFi stated they are locked out.

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

After sleeping for 9hrs and waking up, Hurricane Laura is now sitting in the middle of the Gulf Of Mexico despite the fact the eye now over top of Louisiana. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors