Sign in to follow this  
Spike1950

Real Weather .... Is that working for anyone?

Just did some testing around the Central and Southern Tx area with Hurricane Laura coming in.  Started at an airport KDZB about 30-40miles west of Austin and got clear skies which were reported on SkyVector. I then moved to an airport reporting MVFR conditions (2000 broken 3500 overcast) KRWY and got results fairly close to what was reported. It was more like 2500 broken, 3500 broken and it gradually cleared to VFR over about 15min.  I then moved to Caldwell Tx KRWV which was reporting IFR conditions (1500ft overcast 2miles and light rain). MSFS depicted this quite well with light rain, low visibility and overcast and it gradually cleared to MFR and is now VFR which is being reported in real life. 

Imo, the clouds, visibility and precipitation works pretty well.  Obviously the winds are fubar'd and the barometer reading aren't quite accurate..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fmrCXflyer said:

Just did some testing around the Central and Southern Tx area with Hurricane Laura coming in.  Started at an airport KDZB about 30-40miles west of Austin and got clear skies which were reported on SkyVector. I then moved to an airport reporting MVFR conditions (2000 broken 3500 overcast) KRWY and got results fairly close to what was reported. It was more like 2500 broken, 3500 broken and it gradually cleared to VFR over about 15min.  I then moved to Caldwell Tx KRWV which was reporting IFR conditions (1500ft overcast 2miles and light rain). MSFS depicted this quite well with light rain, low visibility and overcast and it gradually cleared to MFR and is now VFR which is being reported in real life. 

Imo, the clouds, visibility and precipitation works pretty well.  Obviously the winds are fubar'd and the barometer reading aren't quite accurate..

Glad to hear that you are getting pretty much of the real weather (minus the winds).   I'll keep trying my "Real"  weather as I fly around this part of Colorado and report back here IF (magically) it starts to mirror what I'm actually seeing outside.  (hope so!)

Mike

Another Colorado USA user with non-working weather most of the time.  It usually shows up clear no matter the actual weather.  I was flying in Florida yesterday and the ATIS in the sim was reporting heavy rain.  No rain observed.  The clouds did appear to be correct, however.  The wind 3 knots and not correct as noted.  I did get icing in the clouds when the temp was 10C and the plane was never in temps below 0C.  That needs corrected and the incing on the plane is just awful.  

i9-10900k * 64GB 3600MHz Ram * RTX 3090 running 3 75" 4k displays smoothly.  

Full 737 MAX enclosed cockpit from FDS

Variable results. Flew EGPH (Edinburgh) to EGAA (Aldergrove - Belfast Int) earlier. Should have been cloudy but bright. Instead, I was in pretty heavy rain and thick cloud with zero visibility above 1000ft. 

Other times it's been spot on.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

It does feel like a bug, since as others pointed out, the correct winds show both in the world map and in local weather reports from inside the sim itself. It's just strange that a bug like this would be region sensitive...

Not working for me in Australian region

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

3 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

FYI:

This is current list of known issues and wind aloft problem is not listed yet 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/known-issues-last-modified-8-26-2020/128064

Beating the old horse here won't solve the issue! Unless you guys submit a bug to zen desk!

Can’t say that they’re even looking at submissions at this point unless they’re CTD related or install related. I got a response to my long rant about how we need a way to modify default airports in the SDK, and all it said was something along the lines of “we’re doing a world update every 2 months! we’ll focus on one area and add some handcrafted airports!” which had absolutely nothing to do with my initial request.

7 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

FYI:

This is current list of known issues and wind aloft problem is not listed yet 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/known-issues-last-modified-8-26-2020/128064

Beating the old horse here won't solve the issue! Unless you guys submit a bug to zen desk!

They are being selective I'm sure a ton of people have logged to Zendesk re live weather, I have submitted issues and it's not in that list so there are probably multiple lists based on priority

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

1 minute ago, Jetman67 said:

They are being selective I'm sure a ton of people have logged to Zendesk re live weather, I have submitted issues and it's not in that list so there are probably multiple lists based on priority

I sensitively hope so!

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 minute ago, sd_flyer said:

I sensitively hope so!

And no doubt treading water at the moment just trying not to drown with all the bugs

Wayne such

12 minutes ago, FlyingInACessna said:

we need a way to modify default airports in the SDK

We have a way already. While we cannot directly modify the default airports, we can modify a copy of the default airport placed in the "Community" folder.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Speaking of treading water, I noticed that while my wind sock is limp and my flights are smooth despite real weather wind blowing hard (confirmed by ATIS), the water had whitecaps. Anyone else notice heavy seas (lakes, rivers, etc) that seem to match real wind conditions?

6 minutes ago, n4gix said:

We have a way already. While we cannot directly modify the default airports, we can modify a copy of the default airport placed in the "Community" folder.

Sounds complicated though

Wayne such