kt069

Landing Rate Display

On 10/9/2020 at 12:21 PM, scelt said:

Hi,

Maybe late to the story, but I made one which could be good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzvvXCndCLM

You can get it here: https://github.com/scelts/gees/releases

Works like charm here. Nice app indeed.

Thank you so much for sharing this scelt!

P.S. Above link should go in the Tips & Tricks forum IMO

Happy flying,

• Like 1

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

11 hours ago, diajohn said:

I must be a little slow.  How do you get this to run?

Hi,

You are running the app and it connects to sim and stays open in the system tray. When it detects landing, it show the values on the left top corner of the screen.

Edited by kt069

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

On 10/12/2020 at 8:12 PM, diajohn said:

I must be a little slow.  How do you get this to run?

Hi, sorry, I'm not very active here, just posted for the reference (I still get approved by moderator for every comment) 🙂

You run it just by starting the gees.exe file, and in theory it should stay in background and just run when there's a landing.

Check the releases if the 0.2.0 is not running well, I made a new update https://github.com/scelts/gees/releases. I'll probably do a bit more updates these days/weeks until it starts working well for everyone.

• Like 1

Got it now.  Thanks for the help. 

😄I cannot get it to run.  I see something about a git.exe but 

18 hours ago, diajohn said:

😄I cannot get it to run.  I see something about a git.exe but

git? 🙂 

If it just doesn't start, my best bet would be that the antivirus has blocked it.

On 10/15/2020 at 11:43 AM, scelt said:

git? 🙂 

If it just doesn't start, my best bet would be that the antivirus has blocked it.

Hi Scelt;

I have tested your Gees 0.3.2. Generally it is a pretty app but as far as I realised, it mesures the landing vs 2 times more theother apps.I tried few other apps together with yours (Simacars andself loading cargo) they are pararlel to eachother but yours is measuring about 2x of vs. It would be good for you to check it.FYI...Thanks

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

I answered this quite a bit, and wrote it in the description on the github why it differs. Here, I went a step further with this in testing, and figured out that if we just reuse the code from FSX apps it doesn't show a good landing rate, for the reason that MSFS has sloped runways, and if you land "downhil", the vertical rate will be higher than it should with just querying the vertical speed, and if you land "uphill" as in your case, you'll get lower landing rate with a "simple" algorithm. 

The error happens even for a small, common slope of 1%. Not even mentioning Courchevel for example.

To test it, try the Courchevel landing challenge and check the rates that MSFS calculates and the apps. If the app uses just a vertical speed you'll get positive?? landing rate if you make a good landing.

I don't wanna say that if you calculate the landing rate using only the vertical speed you don't really calculate the landing rate, but it is like that.

Descent rate at the landing in feet per minute

This is calculated by querying the aircraft distance from the ground over time, every 20ms. After touchdown is detected, one takes the average descent rate in the last 100ms of flight.

The landing rate might differ a bit from the one in landing challenges. This is because I have no idea how Asobo calculates it, and I cannot query this value. Should be the same ballpark figure, it's anyway arbitrary how you do it.

You cannot query only the vertical rate. This was possible in FSX where you have "flat" runways, but if the runway is sloping, this doesn't work.

This app is fantastic, especially measuring the sideslip angle and G-load at touchdown. Makes nailing crosswind landings so much more rewarding!

• Like 1

i7-10700K; RTX 2070 Super; 16GB; P3Dv4.5HF3 & MSFS2020.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:53 PM, lambourne said:

This app is fantastic, especially measuring the sideslip angle and G-load at touchdown. 

Those are the two that actually count anyway. FPM is too much plane dependant.

People ask me to rate the landings to get even bonus karma "you good maaan!" when you grease it, besides knowing it, but I'm kind of afraid to do this universally, since it's really plane-dependent. And also have this weird feeling - who am I to judge your landings.

Maybe something as you say, with G's and sideslip angle, but people are not gonna like that. In sim everyone goes for the greaser. So what if there's 30kt crosswind, I'm landing sideways. Sideways, but smooth 🙂

22 minutes ago, scelt said:

Maybe something as you say, with G's and sideslip angle, but people are not gonna like that. In sim everyone goes for the greaser. So what if there's 30kt crosswind, I'm landing sideways. Sideways, but smooth 🙂

Better to do something different, I think. Most simmers only concentrate on FPS because that's what the previous generation of sim addons showed. G on touchdown is a much more realistic measure of piloting skill.

It's probably not possible outside the Asobo landing challenges but I'd like to see TDZ accuracy rewarded somehow. Much more safety critical than floating halfway along the runway just to chase a sub-100fps touchdown.

i7-10700K; RTX 2070 Super; 16GB; P3Dv4.5HF3 & MSFS2020.

It's probably not possible outside the Asobo landing challenges but I'd like to see TDZ accuracy rewarded somehow. Much more safety critical than floating halfway along the runway just to chase a sub-100fps touchdown.

This I still didn't figure out. I would somehow need to read the runway start/end and threshold, but this I think is still not obvious how to do, besides taking the data from somewhere else, which is probably not going to be precise.