Sign in to follow this  
Agrajag

Sudden Issues After Installing FaceTrackNoIR

My install of FS2020, other than the typical bugs, has been solid from a performance standpoint. I then realized I bought FaceTrackNoIR a few years ago and decided to give it a shot. I installed the latest version, but it just wouldn't work so I gave up (before even going into FS). I then decided to go on a flight and launched FS. Everything went downhill from there. I first noticed my Alpha yoke wasn't responding so I went to Controls and there I found a new device -- TrackIR, but no yoke any longer. What? 

So I then tried to get the Alpha yoke to show up again. I went out to Windows (closing the sim) and ran the Game Controllers applet (built into Windows 10) and it took a much longer time to come up than normal. It showed my yoke, rudder pedals and throttle quadrant. I then tired to bring up the Properties of the yoke (to see buttons presses and such) and it went away disappearing from the list. I unplugged it and replugged it in. It came back up. I went into the sim and no Alpha. What? So I then uninstalled FaceTrackNoIR and rebooted. The Alpha showed back up in the Game Controllers applet, but it was slow to come up again. I then went into the sim and the Alpha was back. However, now when I went to fly. The FPS showed bouncing between 30-42 which seemed okay, but the flight itself is entirely sluggish. The terrain is slowly rendering. The propellers on the King Air are displaying in a choppy manner. The PFD and MFD show delays when I jump back into the cockpit view. I'm getting some stutters where I had none before.

Any ideas? The fact that Windows is now acting strange (at least the Game Controllers applet) is a major, major concern.

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

That doesn't sound normal at all. have you tried removing the vjoy virtual joystick?

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

5 minutes ago, aktorsyl said:

That doesn't sound normal at all. have you tried removing the vjoy virtual joystick?

Tell me about it. Never heard of vjoy. I'll give that a shot after looking it up.

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

It appears I have no vJoy (or joy at this point).

WOW. I did a system restore and during that process I noticed a few Microsoft C++ runtime DLLs got installed. I did a system restore to the 24th and all the issues are GONE. I'm starting to wonder if this might not have something to do with other people having stutter issues. It's night and day. When I go to bring up that Game Controller applet (Devices and Printers, right click a joystick and pick Game controller settings), it now comes up instantly again. Might be worth having other people see if theirs is sluggish.

Edited by Agrajag
  • Like 1

Interesting. I've also used Facetrack a few times with MSFS but definitely had none of these issues. Wonder if it's related to one of the runtimes maybe.

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

17 minutes ago, aktorsyl said:

Interesting. I've also used Facetrack a few times with MSFS but definitely had none of these issues. Wonder if it's related to one of the runtimes maybe.

That's what I'm thinking. My guess is that a specific runtime screws up the registry. You likely have had Facetrack installed and perhaps it's an older version of the runtime. I also wonder how many people with stutter issues happen to own TrackIR.

I have TrackIR 5 and I’m one of those fortunate to be having no stutters. Of course it should be said though that I formatted my PC and fresh installed Win 2004 prior to installing MSFS. No legacy ‘tweaks’, files and defunct registry entries haunting my system.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor