Sign in to follow this  
captain420

wind is wrong for live weather, almost always 3kts or less

I've just checked the metar for honolulu and its reporting:

PHNL 261753Z 08012KT 10SM FEW025 FEW050 27/19 A3000 RMK AO2 SLP159 T02720194 10278 20250 53015

12KTS but in the sim its like showing 2KTS. No wonder I don't see much activity in the ocean, hardly any waves or white caps.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

KIAH 261753Z 07010KT 10SM BKN034 BKN080 BKN180 BKN250 33/24 A2984 RMK AO2 SLP102 VCSH NW-N T03330244 10344 20261 58007

In sim shows 2knts. Definitely something wrong with the wind detection.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Everything is wrong about the live weather.   Pretty strange oversight.  Are Europeans having the same issues I wonder?

What's really crazy is 3-4 knots of wind in several of my airplanes is throwing me around like a rag doll.  Turned it off and was much better, though still somewhat bumpy.....

47 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I've just checked the metar for honolulu and its reporting:

PHNL 261753Z 08012KT 10SM FEW025 FEW050 27/19 A3000 RMK AO2 SLP159 T02720194 10278 20250 53015

12KTS but in the sim its like showing 2KTS. No wonder I don't see much activity in the ocean, hardly any waves or white caps.

You may want to search forum before posting. It's been reported numerous times already. File a bug to zen desk

Edited by sd_flyer
spelling

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Its known that live weather is hit and miss.  One thing I have noticed on the world map, is when I go into the weather settings by default its set to Preset, not Live.  When I flick to live and zoom in on an airport if I'm at a distance (not fully zoomed in) weather is 2 knots, when I actually get closer it changes to something more "real" but doesn't match any real weather data from various sources on internet.

New one tonight - now the wind isn't showing at all anywhere!  It just shows --kts.....weird.

No idea what's going on.......

EDIT:  and I'm showing no clouds on the world map (yes they switched on in filters)...its like the whole thing has died a death

EDIT1:  My missus changed my xbox live login so the sim wasn't actually connected which is why everything was down!  One to note for the future..........

Edited by sidfadc

Thomas Derbyshire

18 minutes ago, aniiran said:

Everything is wrong about the live weather.   Pretty strange oversight.  Are Europeans having the same issues I wonder?

How'd you come to that conclusions?!

So far, Live Weather, seems to be working as it should... expect for the wind, which always seems to be 2-3 kts. Even inside a hurricane. 😕

🙂

I flew Wellesbourne Moutford to Shobden in the tail end of Storm Francis. Shobden runway is 26, right into the teeth of the gale.

Landed fine, but when steered to taxi, wind took the fin and the airplane wouldn't turn. 32 kts.

Live weather is realistic alright.

1 hour ago, travelabroad said:

How'd you come to that conclusions?!

So far, Live Weather, seems to be working as it should... expect for the wind, which always seems to be 2-3 kts. Even inside a hurricane. 😕

It seems to work sometimes and not others and accurately reports some times and not others.  Thus far it has had a very bad record in my area (Southern Arizona). We had massive thunderstorms a few days ago and I was excited to see what MSFS live weather would show.  It depicted some high clouds no rain, no lightning, even though the METAR said TS/RA and the map in FS depicted clouds.   Right now FS depicting patchy clouds thin high, with good visibility.  In reality I can barely see the mountains and the sky is completely overcast.  The ATIS in FS says 3 miles visibility (which is probably a bit pessimistic) but I can see o the horizon in game.  

KTUS 261953Z 00000KT 10SM CLR 37/03 A2984 RMK AO2 SLP044 T03720033

What I am saying is it has been a big disappointment in my area thus far.  All the talk of micro and macro scale weather mixed with METARS and all the fancy neon computational wind lines over ridges and within clouds made me think they had finally got weather better than HiFi Active sky.  They were showing it taking info from sat data and Doppler radar, which is very impressive so I figured it could locate clusters of t-storms.. but it doesn't seem to work.   I find myself just making my own weather based on what I see out the window then adding wind and adjusting temp to the Metar. Now, I'm not disappointed with the weather as a whole, it's amazing other than morphing voxels in turns. I also understand the limits of METARS. For instance in this METAR it says CLR because there are no clouds below 12k ft.  The airport just 5 miles east is giving a more complete METAR with clouds that are more like what I see outside.

KDMA 261958Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM SCT130 BKN160 37/04 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP046 T03720042

I was just hoping that if it was actually based on satellite and radar and metars that the weather would be depicted better.

Also, If I have a weather theme and I click Live weather in flight I get an instant crash to desktop. 

Edited by aniiran
grammar
  • Like 1