Sign in to follow this  
hangar

How Old is the Navdata?

20 minutes ago, SirDan said:

Yeah going to use Navigraph 100%, It's a must have if online flying, Vatsim or pilotsedge, imo

FltPlanGo basically has all updated charts and maps for free though. I'd go Navigraph but why in the world would thy not put the freely available sectionals on there is beyond me.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

The nav-data may be AIRAC cycle 2009; however, it is very incomplete.  Yesterday,  I flew from LAX to PSP using the LAX5 SID.  The TRM transition is not coded, or was not coded in the CJ4.  Frankly, the FMS and Navdata is really bad.  

My view so far of MSFS 2020, nice eye candy.  Flight models that need work (too much thrust, not enough drag (except for speedbrakes, which cause aircraft to instantly slow to stall speed), too much control authority for phase of flight especially in the landing flare, lousy FMS, and very incomplete navdata.

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

1 minute ago, FPStewy said:

FltPlanGo basically has all updated charts and maps for free though

Thank you for this , not sure why I have never checked this out before.

35 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

FltPlanGo basically has all updated charts and maps for free though

Yes but it's not choices here... it's about what will be working inside the sim...you could have all the hardcopy charts you like, but those approaches will not be in your gps/fms in the sim and in many cases neither will their corresponding nav fixes. So unless all those fixes are in the sim via updated nav data, what's the point of having the chart since you wont be able to program in the fixes? Unless the gps or flight planner allows custom waypoints...but that's another can of worms altogether 🙂

1 hour ago, hangar said:

Yes but it's not choices here... it's about what will be working inside the sim...you could have all the hardcopy charts you like, but those approaches will not be in your gps/fms in the sim and in many cases neither will their corresponding nav fixes. So unless all those fixes are in the sim via updated nav data, what's the point of having the chart since you wont be able to program in the fixes? Unless the gps or flight planner allows custom waypoints...but that's another can of worms altogether 🙂

well you have a point and I think we were told the data comes with, but the thing is that they didn't say how much data or for how long the "free" nav data will be. I just can't see how at this point you can have free full nav data/charts.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

9 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

That's an issue with outdated Bing imagery, not with Navdata.

Nothing to do with Bing if it is missing a VOR, fixes or instrument approaches. Then it very much is Navdata.

David Porrett

16 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

well you have a point and I think we were told the data comes with, but the thing is that they didn't say how much data or for how long the "free" nav data will be. I just can't see how at this point you can have free full nav data/charts.

I dont think any of us really expect to get a service like that for free (on going updates forever)... but out of the box when it shipped the included nav data should have been the most current available from a reliable quality vendor. Either we simply didn't get this out of the box (which for a company like MS is a slap in the face to us), or it's bugged. I'm betting it's the former rather than the latter.

Edited by hangar
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, DavidP said:

Nothing to do with Bing if it is missing a VOR, fixes or instrument approaches. Then it very much is Navdata.

But it's not just missing a VOR, fixes or instrument approaches, but the entire airport is missing.

It's the same problem as with other missing airports, when you go to Bing maps on its position, there's nothing there because of outdated imagery, so it's not in the sim.

or that it may not have been fully implemented. I'm comparing data now and there's definitely data missing.

the missing airports issue has been addressed, airports will come and go as scenery get's updated but also because of copywright issues with the airport and POI's.

3 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

the missing airports issue has been addressed, airports will come and go as scenery get's updated but also because of copywright issues with the airport and POI's.

I don't see what copyright issues could have to do with this, all falls under "learning and simulation", not much different than the Encyclopedia Britannica including a POI without having permission. Of course, there can always be some loophole a slimy lawyer can find to argue, but in general I don't see if they have this many airports already in the game, that they hit copyright issue with some other airport or POI (unless in some countries they are bound by different laws), but then that's never stopped Microsoft before :_)

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

My assumption was that it would at least come out of the box with a relatively current Navdata load but it seems it's at least 5 years old as my local airport (KUAO) is missing the control tower visually and has none of the frequencies that came with that tower in 2015.

Paying for future loads would be reasonable but I was expecting something more current to start from.

Kent

i7 4790k @4.7Ghz 32Gb DDR3 1333 RTX 2070 GPU Win10 Pro

LFPG is missing all ILS APP aswell.

15 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

The strange thing is that in the airbus the mcdu says the airac is the may-june one. 

Mine too.

imyj2f-5.png