Sign in to follow this  
Guest oyvindhansen

Quotes anyone!!!!

Guest bobsk8

I have noticed so many posts lately that read like the four examples below..." You are wrong, since it wasn't mentioned until today"" I agree with you, after seeing it"" Yes, I will take you suggestion"" I have always done it that way , but I found out recently that it was not the correct way to do it, so I took your suggestion and it works much better." Problem I have is , who the heck are they replying to and what the orginal poster saying that generated the comment that I am reading now. The only way to find out is to backtrack which post it is with the numbering system which is tedious at best, or to change the way my posts are displayed so I can figure it out without having my hair turn grayer than it already is. It is so easy when replying to someone, to hit the " Reply with Quote" Selection '( that is what it is there for, by the way) and then write your reply under the quote. I think using quotes cuts down dramatically on misunderstandings and allows anyone to figure out what it is being said without having to be a detective.. As it is now, when I see one of the statements like the 4 I posted above, I just ignore it and move on to the next post. Just my 2 cents...........

Guest allcott

...and it didn't occur to you to provide the links to the quotes in question?:-)Allcott

Guest bobsk8

>...and it didn't occur to you to provide the links to the>quotes in question?>>:-)>>AllcottIf it is really that important to you, than you can go find them...... There are a quite a few to chose from ;)

Think you might have missed Allcott's sense of humour, there, Bob ;-)You're right; the post numbers are hard to reference these days, and so including the quote makes sense. But even trickier to me are the endless screenie posts that say "Look at these shots!" or "Here's one of Fred's/Justin's/Erick's/Pete's/Paul's/Mary's latest bird" and then provide no links. So the next four posts are "Er ... what aircraft is that ....... er, what scenery is that ......er, what computer spec ....er, is that Active Sky?" Etc. etc. etc.Maybe it's what keeps people busy, I don't know. But my humble opinion is that it's a lot more useful to provide links or info from the outset rather than trying to be one up, perhaps, on everybody else and making them come crawling ... :-hmmm Compliments of the Season to All! No link, it's everywhere! Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, la la la, lala ...MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest allcott

>Think you might have missed Allcott's sense of humour, there,>Bob ;-)>>You're right; the post numbers are hard to reference these>days, and so including the quote makes sense. But even>trickier to me are the endless screenie posts that say "Look>at these shots!" or "Here's one of>Fred's/Justin's/Erick's/Pete's/Paul's/Mary's latest bird" and>then provide no links. So the next four posts are "Er ...>what aircraft is that ....... er, what scenery is that>......er, what computer spec ....er, is that Active Sky?" >Etc. etc. etc.>>Maybe it's what keeps people busy, I don't know. But my>humble opinion is that it's a lot more useful to provide links>or info from the outset rather than trying to be one up,>perhaps, on everybody else and making them come crawling ...>:-hmmm >>Compliments of the Season to All! No link, it's everywhere! >Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, la la la, lala ...>>Mark>>Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumont>VP Fleet, DC-3 Airways>Team Member, MAAM-SIMYes, details are more important than large sigs. No offence Mark. :-)At least you get the humo(u)r, but the irony in someone posting about the absence of links in a post with an absence of links, well I thought Bob was the one that was joking.Guess not. So perhaps the advice to Bob is if you can't practice what you preach, what makes you think anyone else cares? The search function is probably the least-used function in most forums, and definitely in this one, and yet the most useful.Copy the quote in and it will take you directly to the post.Allcott

Uh oh, maybe I misread YOU, Allcott. Why on earth would Bob want to link in THOSE quotes? They would teach us nothing ... he was merely making a point, which was quite clear enough without pointless links.I must stop making comments in this forum. It seems that confrontational attitudes surface all too often, and then I regret being part of the thread. Ah well.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest bobsk8

>>Think you might have missed Allcott's sense of humour,>there,>>Bob ;-)>>>>You're right; the post numbers are hard to reference these>>days, and so including the quote makes sense. But even>>trickier to me are the endless screenie posts that say "Look>>at these shots!" or "Here's one of>>Fred's/Justin's/Erick's/Pete's/Paul's/Mary's latest bird">and>>then provide no links. So the next four posts are "Er ...>>what aircraft is that ....... er, what scenery is that>>......er, what computer spec ....er, is that Active Sky?" >>Etc. etc. etc.>>>>Maybe it's what keeps people busy, I don't know. But my>>humble opinion is that it's a lot more useful to provide>links>>or info from the outset rather than trying to be one up,>>perhaps, on everybody else and making them come crawling ...>>:-hmmm >>>>Compliments of the Season to All! No link, it's everywhere!>>>Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, la la la, lala ...>>>>Mark>>>>Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumont>>VP Fleet, DC-3 Airways>>Team Member, MAAM-SIM>>>>Yes, details are more important than large sigs. No offence>Mark. :-)>>At least you get the humo(u)r, but the irony in someone>posting about the absence of links in a post with an absence>of links, well I thought Bob was the one that was joking.>>Guess not. >>So perhaps the advice to Bob is if you can't practice what you>preach, what makes you think anyone else cares? The search>function is probably the least-used function in most forums,>and definitely in this one, and yet the most useful.>>Copy the quote in and it will take you directly to the post.>>>>AllcottI think the few examples I posted illustrated the point quite well for anyone that thought about it for more than a second or two. To post a couple of real examples, linking someone's post as an example, would have served absolutely no purpose at all other than irritating someone. ( It seems to me that you are doing your darndest to do exactly that, by the way). I think we all know what I am talking about , without having to point fingers at somone else, but I guess you don't feel that way :). Whatever rings your chimes .

Bob,<>Couldn't agree more! I think that when directing comments to an individual (as opposed to a general comment) a salutation should start the message. That way there's absolutely no confusion as to who the comments are directed at. How many times have we seem "I don't think he means you X, he was talking to Y".Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest bobsk8

>Bob,>><>>>Couldn't agree more! I think that when directing comments to>an individual (as opposed to a general comment) a salutation>should start the message. That way there's absolutely no>confusion as to who the comments are directed at. How many>times have we seem "I don't think he means you X, he was>talking to Y".>>Cheers,Exactly my point, and I think almost everyone that reads my post will get it. Some people just love to stir up hate and discontent. :-bla

Guest Adverse Yawn

Use "Threaded View"

Guest allcott

>Use "Threaded View"Thank you, you beat me to the punchline. The thread is predicated on the original poster not knowing how to use the forum software.Not only that, but even in non-threaded view you see "In response to Reply # X" right at the top of the post!If you can't figure that out, what is the point of of even raising the issue? Allcott

Guest bobsk8

>>Use "Threaded View">>Thank you, you beat me to the punchline. The thread is>predicated on the original poster not knowing how to use the>forum software.>>Not only that, but even in non-threaded view you see "In>response to Reply # X" right at the top of the post!>>If you can't figure that out, what is the point of of even>raising the issue? >>>AllcottYou are so smart Alcott, just amazing, a legend in your own mind as it were. You will notice that I stated in the beginning of this thread which you obviously didn't spend enough time reading and or trying to comprehend, I didn't want to have to change the way I viewed the forum. I hate threaded mode, and if you use the quote when you are replying to someone, there is absolutely no need to "have to" use the threaded mode in order to follow a discussion. It was a suggestion and some people will think about it and possibly use quotes more often for clarification , and some will continue to post the way they presently do resulting in some confusion at times, and a very few people will start hyperventilating and going postal over the suggestion, like you apparently are :-jumpy .. Takes all kinds.... :-lol

Guest Edam

>It is so easy when replying to someone, to hit the " Reply>with Quote" Selection '>( that is what it is there for, by the way) and then write>your reply under the quote.Of course, there are some who will quote an entire long message when they are only replying to one or two points within it. They are too lazy to edit out what they are NOT replying to.

Guest bobsk8

>>It is so easy when replying to someone, to hit the " Reply>>with Quote" Selection '>>( that is what it is there for, by the way) and then write>>your reply under the quote.>>Of course, there are some who will quote an entire long>message when they are only replying to one or two points>within it. They are too lazy to edit out what they are NOT>replying to. And then there are some that will quote something that someone else said, but do a bit of tinkering with the quoted statement to make it appear that the person they are quoting said, or implied something that they really didn't. Kind of like dubbing a word or phrase into a recording of someone, making it appear that someone said something they really didn't.....Kinda like you did with my original statement when you placed the ;( smiliey in it when you quoted me.... :)