Sign in to follow this  
donet

FPS - framerate conflicted. 30, 60, 90 or what?

FSX ran optimally at 30 FPS,  so can someone explain to me why when everyone keeps talking about high framerates,  just why Flight Simulator 2020 would run better at higher frame rates going up to 60 or 80+.

As more frames, more fluid experience. At 30 it start to look more fluid, but at 60 would be ideal for most of the users. 

People had all sorts of methods using 30hz monitors and such... i hoped that with this sim we are done with that but I guessed not. For me with 30fps is really unplayable not the occasional stutters but completely unplayable. In P3D it was fine but in this one anything below 50 fps is stutters. 165hz screen.

Roi Ben

19 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

People had all sorts of methods using 30hz monitors and such... i hoped that with this sim we are done with that but I guessed not. For me with 30fps is really unplayable not the occasional stutters but completely unplayable. In P3D it was fine but in this one anything below 50 fps is stutters. 165hz screen.

We are done with that. If you have the required hardware, no need to mess with anything like that....

Yes....30

• Like 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

30 is not ideal at all. Ideal is 120. What is ideal to you, is not to someone else. Personally I think everyone should be aiming for 60. Especially if they want VR in the future. 30 is too low. It starts to become choppy. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 1

Hi Guys

This is my view of this new flight simulator. Its terrible!

Yes the graphic candy of the landscape is good, but the graphic engine is terrible. It looks like it was done in the eighties and has an awful display. However, this is my problem. I am getting wild FPS fluctuations ie 3 - 44fps and it happens no matter what settings I use. It appears to alter every few seconds and it makes the sim unplayable.

I have  FX 9370 4.4ghz 8 core processor CPU, and a GTX 970 GPU.

Yes I know its not stae of art but it still runs most software at 1080 easily at 30fps or more...60 in world of tanks etc

Anyone got any ideas?

Maybe FSX is OK after all.

Edited by brassalley
word not allowed
  • Like 1

See what I mean.  30 is good,  30 is not good, and more is better.  The very reason I raised this topic in the first place is that opinions on it are all over the place.  What I was hoping for was a number based on a technical evaluation if that is even possible.

Frame rates and stutters are 2 different things.  Frame rate is the amount of frames in 1 second a picture is drawn.  Stutter is caused by a bottle neck of information from the CPU to the GPU.  The word frame rate on a computer is only a technical word as frame rate only applies to moving celluloid film as used in the film industry.  There are no moving frames on a computer screen.  A moving computer image is accomplished by the refresh rate of the monitor.  Therefore to prevent the screen from flickering we set a refresh rate over 16Hz as the humane eye does not register flickering above 16 frames per second.  You have all seen the old black and white movies with flickering.  So the monitor refresh rate is the key.  Most  monitors these days have a 60Hz refresh rate and a 5 micro/second response time.  Fast games do require a higher refresh rate to smooth out the viewing, but Flight simulators are slow games.  It has been found that a refresh rate of 30Hz seems to be the ideal level and anything higher is wasting CPU resources and contribute to a bottleneck that helps cause stutters. 

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

1 hour ago, roi1862 said:

Yeah, 30 fps on a 165 Hz monitor will look horrible as 165 Hz isn't evenly divisible by 30. You could lock a 165Hz monitor at 55 fps or 33 fps without any judder from uneven frame spacing.

I wonder how many people there are with 144Hz and 165Hz monitors locking their fps to 30 thinking it will look good when it's not.

• Like 1

Also of note is that the detractors from higher frame rates are usually just clueless.

They watch videos demonstrating 60fps in 30fps then whine because they can't see a different. Well obviously - you're watching it in 30fps. 

Higher frame rates are immediately obvious and beneficial to anyone who sees them.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Removed 

Edited by jaydor

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

12 minutes ago, jaydor said:

I said 30Hz seems to be the ideal, but you can still lower your 165Hz monitor in the GPU card control panel and set it to what you consider the best for you.

7E1p1No.jpg

That's not lowering your monitors Hz, that's locking your framerate. Huge difference there.

This below is where you're actually changing your monitors Hz (you can't do this on all monitors):

TGp3o29.png

Edited by TheRandomGuy