Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Image post processing using NVIDIA Freestyle.

On 8/28/2020 at 4:20 AM, Colonel X said:

There's two packs... the official release of Reshade, of which only a few shaders work in MSFS. If you get the curated release by NVIDIA however, a lot more shaders are available. Some are still MIA, such as Film Grain or Smartnoise (I want one of those!), but there's plenty.

Yeah, I got the curated pack by Nvidia, but there are some that are MIA as you say. Do you happen to know why some are missing in MSFS? There are a few I would really love to try in this sim.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I like everything except for the CRT filter. 

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

1 minute ago, Slides said:

I like everything except for the CRT filter. 

I feel the same, but its interesting nonetheless as an artistic choice. I've always been mad visual tweaker, spending hours with PTA and xVision, but, so far I don't have any huge desire to tweak MSFS's output. If I did it would be more to do this sort of thing, rather than a desperate attempt to make the sim look more real.

1 hour ago, highflyer2020 said:

I think a video of that CRT style being played on a CRT screen would be nice to see.

Well if you play on CRT, you certainly do not need the filter. CRT's are still far superior to LCD's (apart from resolution), check this:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-modern-games-look-beautiful-on-crt-monitors

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

1 hour ago, MikeT707 said:

Yeah, I got the curated pack by Nvidia, but there are some that are MIA as you say. Do you happen to know why some are missing in MSFS? There are a few I would really love to try in this sim.

I tried everything and failed getting additional (included) filters to work. There seems to be no info why and how some filters don't show up.

-

1 hour ago, Novation said:

I feel the same, but its interesting nonetheless as an artistic choice. I've always been mad visual tweaker, spending hours with PTA and xVision, but, so far I don't have any huge desire to tweak MSFS's output. If I did it would be more to do this sort of thing, rather than a desperate attempt to make the sim look more real.

CRT is sort a gimmick and of course not for everybody. Let's see what can be imporoved by tinkering with the internal post processing variables.

• Like 1

-

10 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

Well if you play on CRT, you certainly do not need the filter. CRT's are still far superior to LCD's (apart from resolution), check this:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-modern-games-look-beautiful-on-crt-monitors

Oh...I thought you were applying the CRT effect to play on CRT.

So what does the CRT effect give you - or is it just for an artistic take on the sim?

20 minutes ago, highflyer2020 said:

Oh...I thought you were applying the CRT effect to play on CRT.

So what does the CRT effect give you - or is it just for an artistic take on the sim?

I described it in my initial post. From where I sit, I don't actually notice the CRT pattern. It smoothens the image without making it blurry.

-

5 hours ago, MikeT707 said:

Here are my findings for the sharpening (turning itg offf is highly recommended!)

-

22 hours ago, MikeT707 said:

I just tested with the game "Control". All Freestyle filters are available in that game! Which leads me to the conclusion that MSFS is somehow rated as a "competitive" game where NVIDIA doesn't allow certain filters. Feel free to join me in my quest to bypass this!

I know for a fact that Film Grain will improve the perceived cloud detail immensely... so it has to happen!

Edited by Colonel X

-

I don't understand why a CRT filter or Film Grain filter (these filters introduce artifacts, noise, spurious) can improve the image details.
It would be like saying that JPG is better than RAW.

Creatore di * FS9 Supersky * ( plugin Atmo Ambient Environment ).
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment plugin ) creatore.

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, (new) GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit
--------------- --------------------------------------------------------

Just now, ThrottleUp said:

So Freestyle is the nVidia rival to ReShade? It works in the same way? 

Works much better, as it's integrated in the driver. It's not a "rival", the ReShade author submitted his filters to Freestyle. The filters are the same, but setup is much more user friendly.

25 minutes ago, efis007 said:

I don't understand why a CRT filter or Film Grain filter (these filters introduce artifacts, noise, spurious) can improve the image details.
It would be like saying that JPG is better than RAW.

That would be correct if the initial image was perfect. While MSFS image is very good, it's far from perfect. The quest ist to make the image more natural. Why do you think Photographers spend a lot of time on post production? Noise will effectively boost -perceived- details in some areas, mainly clouds. A lot of it comes down to taste however. But it's undeniable that Freestyle can improve MSFS image quality by a large margin. More, you can perfectly set it up (color, contrast, ect.) for your personal display (without messing with your displays settings).

• Upvote 1

-

44 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

Works much better, as it's integrated in the driver. It's not a "rival", the ReShade author submitted his filters to Freestyle. The filters are the same, but setup is much more user friendly.

Oh I see, interesting. Thanks for the info. Will look at some YTs. I wonder what the background memory hit is ReShade vs Freestyle.