Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

Is this a joke?

1 hour ago, BigDee said:

They should add perhaps one more point to their list (just posting it for the sake of fun, physics should be top priority):

Offline scenery and/or low settings:

There were many legit sources that showed some brillant graphics in low settings like this one:

Guru3D

Yesterday I discovered some fan made videos, the low settings and/or offline scenery does really look horrible and somehow reminds me on - back to the roots of FSX.  

The links:

YouTube01

YouTube02

I know the workarounds on this, caching online scenery, or just flying online, but still word not allowed it...

Ok.  I'm sorry, but this is getting a little out of hand.

First of all.  Offline mode means you are relying completely on the internal mesh and textures that exist on the world model.  As someone who has worked with Mesh and Satellite data, there is absolutely no way you can get any where CLOSE to what's available with Bing Maps integration with the offline scenery.  Mesh files alone take a huge amount of space and in FSX and earlier versions of the software, textures were done using generic textures distributed throughout the model using "land class" monikiers.  They had ZERO representation of real world conditions, and Actual Roads and autogen was built on top of the LandClass.  At 10K AGL it was a reasonable approximation.  But Freeways and major highways were always difficult to pick out because they blended in with the default textures.  Compared to the 5 PETRA BYTES (5000 1TB HDD's worth) of data in the cloud, you simply are not going to get anywhere close to the look in offline mode with your less than 100GB of default scenery..

Second of all,  The look of a specific "area" is completely dependent on the quality of the satellite data for that area.  Low, Med, High, and Ultra settings do not have en effect on the quality of ground textures loaded for a specific area.  Your Terrain LOD slider controls how close to the plane they are rendered, but even at Terrain LOD of 10, if you fly low enough, you will get the highest resolution texture available for that area.  A low graphic area can look stunning if the underlying photographic data looks good.  And the lowest settings make Vanilla FSX look bad in comparison.

I know I sound like a "fanatical male child under the age of 10"  but as someone who has battled Flight simulator their entire adult life, let me tell you.  This release has me Gobsmacked.  I remember my excitement when FS98 announced that it would have Direct3D support, and then aghast at how poorly it was executed.  Literally mindcraft clouds built out of white blocks.  I actually defected to Pro Pilot 99 for awhile because I had a 3dfx card and it was night an day.

I remember FS2000 with the Concorde that was nigh unflyable, Nothing like hitting Mach 1.0 at 9 FPS.  

Things started getting better with FS2002 and I still believe that short of this title FS9 Century of Flight was the best release to come out of Microsoft..  For me FSX was a huge step backwards just in water alone.  DEFAULT water STILL looks horrid.

So you'll forgive me for acting like a giddy little school boy when I can fly to my neighborhood using roads and landmarks I recognize.  Can pick out my own house.  And then fly to my girlfriends neighborhood 1000 miles away and describe for her the Home Depot, Walmart, and ShopRite that is a couple miles from her house.  

You'll also forgive me for calling out people who think that swimming pool placement should be a priority, or that the default scenery load in offline mode should even be in the same discussion as 5000 1TB hard drives worth of data.

Edited by wthomas33065
spelling errors and removal of word not allowed.
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Reading comprehension is key; try again, sir..

Hey I fly virtual planes no told me anything about needing reading comprehension...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SirDan said:

Hey I fly virtual planes no told me anything about needing reading comprehension...

You leave yourself wide open...Sir

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Considering paying customers can't even access the sim, this is what they are targeting right now, and rightly so. im thankful that i can enjoy what we have at the moment and not have to battle with constant CTD or even worse, not being able to launch it at all. I think once this is ironed out, we will see more of the core issues addressed.

• Like 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

43 minutes ago, SirDan said:

Don't feel bad, I had to google what "triaging" means to understand the Top Issues Tracker.

To save other people the time it is this:

" the principle or practice of sorting casualties in battle or disaster into categories of priority for treatment"

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

3 hours ago, Hyperfocal said:

Yes, I fully expect this coming patch to only be of much interest to those experiencing critical issues. I wouldn't imagine they're anywhere near close to working on the "nice-to-haves" yet.

You mean nice to haves like features that should work like live weather and winds?

2 hours ago, Rene777 said:

But, how and where will we hear/ read if the update is there, I mean, was ment for today , right ?

The sim does a check for updates when it launches.

As for when the patch is coming, their last development update only said that the release date would be provided today, not the patch itself.

1 hour ago, wthomas33065 said:

I know I sound like a "fanatical male child under the age of 10"  but as someone who has battled Flight simulator their entire adult life, let me tell you.  This release has me Gobsmacked.  
[...]
So you'll forgive me for acting like a giddy little school boy when I can fly to my neighborhood using roads and landmarks I recognize.  Can pick out my own house.  And then fly to my girlfriends neighborhood 1000 miles away and describe for her the Home Depot, Walmart, and ShopRite that is a couple miles from her house.  
[...]
You'll also forgive me for calling out people who think that swimming pool placement should be a priority, or that the default scenery load in offline mode should even be in the same discussion as 5000 1TB hard drives worth of data.

Oh boy, I recognize myself big time in what you wrote. 10 days later, I'm still absolutely amazed at what I'm seeing when I turn on this sim. I just can't reconcile this feeling with the hysteria I read sometimes on these forums. (obviously, I'm not referring to those who can't even install/start the sim at this point, I feel terrible for you guys) My excitement was initially dampened on occasion by the impression that the flight models were way too sensitive, but since my old Saitek Cyborg Evo has been replaced by a Honeycomb Alpha, I'm not complaining about that anymore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UAL4life said:

You mean nice to haves like features that should work like live weather and winds?

These features are less critical than those on the top issues list, so yes, unfortunately. I agree that it's not ideal (to put it mildly), but that is the current situation. There is an enormous amount of pressure to quickly provide a minimum viable product in a lean/agile workplace these days. It provides the best speed to market, reduces implementation costs, and helps avoid large capital losses, but we're all seeing the pitfalls first hand.

I think the patch will fix the CTD or installation issues and thats it. From what I can gather a lot of these other issues were reported in alpha and they are still not fixed so I dont think it will be a sudden high priority. I think many of these issues will remain as is. I can see them focusing on the world update so they can add some more challenges and add some DLC into the mix and the x-box release which will probably be the next high priority.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Hyperfocal said:

There is an enormous amount of pressure to quickly provide a minimum viable product in a lean/agile workplace these days.

"a lean/agile workplace these days." I thought they had 200 people working on this project???

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

5 minutes ago, BIGSKY said:

"a lean/agile workplace these days." I thought they had 200 people working on this project???

Lean and Agile are work methodologies that use cross-functional teams and continuous/iterative delivery/improvement methods. The terms do not refer to the number of people assigned to a project.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BigDee said:

They should add perhaps one more point to their list (just posting it for the sake of fun, physics should be top priority):

Offline scenery and/or low settings:

There were many legit sources that showed some brillant graphics in low settings like this one:

Guru3D

Yesterday I discovered some fan made videos, the low settings and/or offline scenery does really look horrible and somehow reminds me on - back to the roots of FSX.  

The links:

YouTube01

YouTube02

I know the workarounds on this, caching online scenery, or just flying online, but still word not allowed it...

low-official-vs-site.png

offline-02.png

offline-01.png

Offline mode in my view is not how the sim is meant to be used. It's there yes, as an alternative if you absolutely have to, but its intended use is to use the streaming technology and Bing's online data.

It's like having your car go into limp home mode and then complaining it doesn't go fast enough. It's designed to carry on working and get you home but is not designed to be used day to day.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S