Sign in to follow this  
SirDan

Small JS config file mod to gain 10/15+ FPS in airliners and

Does this fix make a noticeable difference for GA planes or only the A320, 747, and 787?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

On 8/27/2020 at 1:43 PM, flyinion said:

Thanks for the tip.  Regardless of whether this is actually based off refresh rate or current FPS all I know is this finally makes the 787 usable.  That thing is a slug.  I was still hitting mid-20's at 1440p med or high settings while up in the air and now it's very low 30's.  Running it  at 3 right now.  The rate change is definitely noticeable in the gauges, but for now I'll take it for the overall boost.

I have a 1440 monitor as well. 

Would someone treat me like a child and walk me through how to do this?

I feel the only issue I have in the sim is when Im running the TBM/airliners/or others that run Garmins with a VFR map. 

I would be seriously in your debt if you give me a step by step guide how to do this.  

Thanks so much. 

OK!   I figured it out. 

Holy word not allowed!!!     This did it!    All the spikes are gone.     Every once in a while, there's a bit of a jump, but that seems normal loading in scenery stuff and it lasts just a bit of a second. 

Oh man...    This is fantastic.     

Its not 100% perfect, but I've never flown in a sim that is.    There's a hiccup every now and then, few and far between, but its night and day from before.  

1440p, 1080ti, if 7770 @4.9 HT ON, 16G DDR4, SSD.  

Getting 60 FPS in the air in the mountains.   Down to 40/35 coming into San Francisco.  

Settings are somewhere between Higb and Ultra. 

All my test flights have been in the TBM.   It was giving me awful spikes, especially at altitude.    Now? Nothing. 

Sweet.  

I have to agree with the poster right above me... this is really very effective. It also makes sense as several other sims and addons (DCS, the PMDG aircraft, etc) give the user the ability to adjust these parameters for best performance.

I have not done more than a couple flights with this modification, but the performance improvement is measurable, predictable and scalable with the different parameters.

Thank you to the OP for making note of this mod, the folks in this thread who have been tinkering with it and to whoever figured it out in the first place. I would strongly suggest this be posted in the Tips and Tricks section of the forum.

• Like 2

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

15 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

But maybe it's not the greatest idea to tinker with the official code.

the mod dont alter the original code in no way, just remove it from the community folder and your done,

Its like with all the addons in the community folder.

• Like 2

So this mod breaks the AP.

Had altitude set for 6000ft on TBM 930, and selected VS as 1200fpm. The plane was over the place with VS, exceeding 2000 sometimes and never at 1200. And finally over shot 6000ft. And also would never descend if set in negative VS.

Tried this both with 2 and 4 values in js.

Went back to original file and AP is perfectly fine.

So be careful...

Edited by dukeav

On 8/27/2020 at 10:02 AM, hangar said:

good point...if this fraction is based off of actual frames then a setting of 5 could mean that at 40fps the gauge refresh rate would be only at 8, lol!

Forget this nonsense about FPS. There is no direct correlation between the FPS and Update()

This script is incrementing a counter from 0 to infinity:

afterUpdate() {
        this.frameCount++;
    }

This is simply keeping track of how many updates have been made.

At each increment the following script evaluates the formula:

CanUpdate() {
        var quality = this.getQuality();
        if (quality == Quality.high) {
            if ((this.frameCount % 2) != 0) {
                return false;
            }
        }   

This modulo operator % is dividing this.frameCount by the chosen divisor and returning the remainder. If the remainder is not zero, then the return is "true" otherwise it is "false". 

Using a modulo of 2 simply means that it will return "true" ever other cycle. In other words only "50% speed".

Using a modulo of 8 means that it will return "true" every 8th cycle. In other words "12.5% speed".

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

@n4gix Guess you missed it...the numbers come out the same and it's a much more mainstream way of explaining so others can understand more easily. Otherwise, no one's going to understand what the heck your saying there, tbh. I was just trying to help, and if you read the post I've referenced below you'll understand why I did it that way: