Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

Does ATC Not Give You Proper Vectors and Altitudes Anymore?

In P3D the ATC wasn't the greatest, but flying an ILS approach you at least got vectored to intercept the localizer at the correct altitude. I now find that ATC pretty much abandons me after giving me an approach procedure, no more vectors and atlitudes....

The ATC is crazed in this game...

It may work in some cases, and not in others is the end story. Best to be flying over flat ground and a simple airport.

Here is what the ATC told me...

YankeeZuluCharlie1, Maintain a heading of 320 and an altitude of 10,000.

(5 seconds later)

YankeeZuluCharlie1, Maintain a heading of 320 and an altitude of 11,000.

(5 seconds later)

(5 seconds later)

Edited by SceneryFX
  • Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

It isn't good sometimes.  On a 70 mile flight in a 172 ATC wants me to go up to 12,000ft.  It seems to ignore the flight plan and I wasn't over high terrain where it would make sense.  

I've been mostly turning it off to be honest.  

• Upvote 1

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

3 hours ago, kerosene31 said:

It isn't good sometimes.  On a 70 mile flight in a 172 ATC wants me to go up to 12,000ft.  It seems to ignore the flight plan and I wasn't over high terrain where it would make sense.  

I've been mostly turning it off to be honest.  

Same. It told me to climb to 12,000. I had to do the math and request 6,000 lower (why not just let me request 6,000?) Then on approach it hounded me to climb to 11,000. So I could, ya know, land. 

• Upvote 1

Eddie
KABQ

The star and approach procedure should get you to your localizer,  vectors would be for when you don’t have one, or when atc needs to do something different.  Obviously the atc isn’t great, but I always thought the vectoring of fsx/p3d was a fault, not a strength.

of course this falls apart when you don’t have the charts, and/or you can’t rely on the autopilot to follow the constraints.  My one full atc/ap flight in the a320 I thought went decently well, but other aircraft aren’t as well modeled.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thepilot said:

So far ATC is the dealbreaker for me. 

So, devils advocate.  If atc is the dealbreaker, what sim are you using?

4 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

So, devils advocate.  If atc is the dealbreaker, what sim are you using?

Prepar3D with default ATC and Edit Voicepack Pro. Far from perfect, but gets the job done, and has the proper phraseology (ICAO or FAA). Countless modifications from the library make it even more realistic. All the while it sounds much better than MSFS because it isn't text to speech. 

Edited by thepilot
  • Upvote 1

Think I'm at the point where I'm going to stop using the ATC. Getting tired of being swapped back and forth between the same frequencies, told to descend into mountains, and being left at 8000ft while on approach.

It's true that if you have filed or been cleared for a STAR then you would not receive final intercept vectors IRL...but..

My friend had a similar experience in Hawaii. They had him at 17,000ft on final approach into an airport situated near sea level, heh.

So many things broken, pfffffff.

Edited by hangar
  • Upvote 1

First, understand I'm not in any way saying this ATC is wonderful, but a few anecdotes aren't data, and don't mean anything if we can't compare them to the flight plan.  the default atc is pretty dependent on your flight plan being tight.  if you made a plan with a 12000 ft cruising altitude in your Cessna, it will try to stick to that plan, even if you didn't realize you did that.  always check the nav log for your vertical profile, and you can set the cruise altitude there prior to flight.

• Like 1

There was no fault with his flight plan, trust me. It was in the neo and just broken ATC. It's not like he filed for 17,000 on a 50nm flight, lol.

The ATC is not supposed to keep you at your cruising altitude when on approach, its a glitch.

Ya I had a flight with ATC last night. It was brutal. I hope the developer for proatc x comes out of hiding to save the day. 

6 hours ago, SceneryFX said:

The ATC is crazed in this game...

It may work in some cases, and not in others is the end story. Best to be flying over flat ground and a simple airport.

Here is what the ATC told me...

(5 seconds later)

(5 seconds later)

(5 seconds later)

This is how ATC handles terrain elevation conflicts. It sort of looking ahead of flight path and predicts terrain conflict. Then  change altitude back to your original cruising altitude and so on .

It's like very slow terrain following autopilot in very slow Tornado! 🙂 I found if you cruise high enough without potential conflict with elevation enroute ATC will not do silly altitude  changes. 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI