Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

MSFS 2020 or P3D v5

The problem with topics like these is that a lot of people here...

1. ... feel the need to convince others that they are right and others are wrong...

2. ... feel attacked by every remark that might be (even a bit) negative towards their favored sim (or a bit positive about any other sim).

It's all very human. Unfortunately. I myself can't imagine anyone playing any other sim than MSFS but who am I to argue when someone else simply prefers that other sim? Even if I think the reason is dumb? Everyone is entitled to his or her own preference. Nothing wrong with that. I think that MSFS is the best thing that ever happened to me (when it comes to flight simming, that is)  and I can't imagine ever playing one of the other sims again (I played them all during the last 3 decades or so) but please don't let that stop you from playing FS9 or FUII or P3D or XP or... whatever you want! As long as no one forces me (or anyone else) to use a specific sim... there is no problem, is there?

Converting anyone to 'your' sim won't save any lives and lead that person to heaven so relax, keep it cool, we are only talking about bits and bytes here, a simulation of flying an airplane, pixels on a screen, nothing really worthwhile of earth-shattering. Although of course I do believe that MSFS actually is all that LOL Well, to ME anyway! The flights I had this last weekend, with bugs and all, pre-hotfix, man... it was totally and utterly amazing... But again, feel free to keep on using the sim of your preference. I wish everyone all the best and all the luck and all the happiness they can get. (Yeah, I know it's not christmas yet.)

• Like 3

Just now, abrams_tank said:

The irony is, MSFS has expanded the flight simulator player base to its highest player base ever, albeit most of those players are using MSFS.  The flight simulator market is as healthy and vibrant as it has ever been and is arguably at a peak now.

More players using MSFS means more money for 3rd party devs in the home consumer flight simulation market (provided these 3rd party devs are smart and are making products for MSFS).

There's a saying that "a rising tide lifts all boats", so it's possible that some fraction of people new to sims with MSFS will branch out and looks at the different experiences other sims can offer.

The obvious option there are the combat sims like DCS World and IL2, but some might look at XP or P3D and want to run those (and the planes they offer) either instead of or (as I suspect many here do) alongside MSFS

1 minute ago, Matchstick said:

There's a saying that "a rising tide lifts all boats", so it's possible that some fraction of people new to sims with MSFS will branch out and looks at the different experiences other sims can offer.

The obvious option there are the combat sims like DCS World and IL2, but some might look at XP or P3D and want to run those (and the planes they offer) either instead of or (as I suspect many here do) alongside MSFS

It definitely would be interesting to see the statistics on how many people returning to flight simulation because of MSFS, ended up purchasing P3D or XP.  I doubt there are such statistics available but if there were, it would be nice to take a peek into those stats.

I came back to flight simulation after an over 10 year hiatus.  I last used FSX before MSFS.  In those 10 years, I constantly checked in to see the progress of P3D and XP, but I didn't see enough progress in either to convince me to put the money down for those two simulators.  Then MSFS came and now I am back into flight simulation again.

Now I am a part of a very large flight simulation market that will spend money on 3rd party add-ons and those 3rd party devs are gonna benefit from our spending.  If the PMDG 737 for MSFS is priced right (hopefully under $100 USD), that's some of my money that PMDG will get.  The irony is, before MSFS, none of my money would have gone towards PMDG.  I'm sure a lot of other 3rd party devs for MSFS are seeing money that they never saw before MSFS was released.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Isn't this thread more suited for the hangar chat? Kind of beating a dead horse here. I come here for MSFS not P3D, X-Plane, FSX,  DCS etc. Threads like these would not last long on other forums.

Edited by jbdbow1970

1 minute ago, jbdbow1970 said:

Threads like these would not last long on other forum.

agreed. interesting indeed that this one survived since Aug 2020....

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

16 hours ago, MySound said:

For me personally P3D is dead.

For me it has never been alive...

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

22 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

provided these 3rd party devs are smart and are making products for MSFS

And if not, they will be replaced by different 3PDs who are just a little bit smarter. Darwin rules!

I can't believe this topic is still being discussed. How many new 3PDs have popped up in the last 12 months announcing that they are dropping everything and creating new add-ons for P3D or XP, and how does that compare to new and existing 3PDs who announced products for MSFS?

Happy holidays everyone.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

Also, these sim comparison threads have long since been banned here on AVSIM I  thought.

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Just need to start getting nasty and personal and the mods will close it hence forth.  Who'll be the first?  🙃

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Skewed towards FSlabs A320 and PMDG 737 now on P3D V 5.3. Issues on FS2020 forced me back to P3D but now can only wait till the maddening rush the new 737 should bring. 

35 minutes ago, tup61 said:

The problem with topics like these is that a lot of people here...

1. ... feel the need to convince others that they are right and others are wrong...

2. ... feel attacked by every remark that might be (even a bit) negative towards their favored sim (or a bit positive about any other sim).

It's all very human. Unfortunately. I myself can't imagine anyone playing any other sim than MSFS but who am I to argue when someone else simply prefers that other sim? Even if I think the reason is dumb? Everyone is entitled to his or her own preference. Nothing wrong with that. I think that MSFS is the best thing that ever happened to me (when it comes to flight simming, that is)  and I can't imagine ever playing one of the other sims again (I played them all during the last 3 decades or so) but please don't let that stop you from playing FS9 or FUII or P3D or XP or... whatever you want! As long as no one forces me (or anyone else) to use a specific sim... there is no problem, is there?

Converting anyone to 'your' sim won't save any lives and lead that person to heaven so relax, keep it cool, we are only talking about bits and bytes here, a simulation of flying an airplane, pixels on a screen, nothing really worthwhile of earth-shattering. Although of course I do believe that MSFS actually is all that LOL Well, to ME anyway! The flights I had this last weekend, with bugs and all, pre-hotfix, man... it was totally and utterly amazing... But again, feel free to keep on using the sim of your preference. I wish everyone all the best and all the luck and all the happiness they can get. (Yeah, I know it's not christmas yet.)

I’m the OP of this now 16 month old thread.

At the time I was using P3D v4.x and had not yet purchased the just released MSFS 2020 or P3D v5. I wanted to get feedback.

Sure, I don’t base my decision on what someone else says, but often you can get insights from others. The only other way would be to buy both, and I wasn’t going to and haven’t done that. I bought MSFS and haven’t looked back. 

Edited by neil0311
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

I’m the OP of this now 16 month old thread.

At the time I was using P3D v4.x and had not yet purchased the just released MSFS 2020 or P3D v5. I wanted to get feedback.

Sure, I don’t base my decision on what someone else says, but often you can get insights from others. The only other way would be to buy both, and I wasn’t going to and haven’t done that. I bought MSFS and haven’t looked back. 

Yes, I think this is a perfectly legitimate question to ask.  Here is another response from GhostHungerGal in this very thread who seems to have regretted purchasing P3D:

If we can get people better value for their money, and help them make more informed purchasing decisions, then all the better.  

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

What I miss more than anything else, believe it or not, is FSCaptain.  For the last many years of using P3D I never took one flight w/o it as there just wasn't enough in it to keep me engaged sufficiently.  In stark contrast now, and I don't want to predict how long this will continue, I fly more flights per week in MSFS than I ever did in P3D.  I did recently start looking a little more at career mode addons for MSFS and so far from what I've read nothing has what FSC has in P3D.  I downloaded OnAir but then after looking deeper decided it wasn't for me.  Maybe Air Hauler 2 might be okay.  The devs at FSC like MSFS bigtime but are thwarted w/ progressing due to limits in the SDK, though there's definitely hope from what they say, just hard to say when.  They have a very crude version working somewhat apparently.

As mentioned here previously I made peace w/ P3D 4.5's relatively poor performance, atmospherics and scenery by doing only dusk to dawn flights and it is pretty pleasant then.  Because visuals don't matter in the relative dark save nice 3rd party airports of which I had many, I discovered there is also zero need for higher settings, at which point I disabled most all of my ORBX regionals esp NCA/SCA, and was able to dial autogen and vegetation back to SPARSE, and LOD to MEDIUM, and had excellent smooth performance in and out of pretty much anywhere in the PMDG birds.  The last time attempted however I got some weird errors in the NGX where I couldn't get it to load and just gave up trying.  I decided it was okay to lose P3D permanently, but I did this because I needed to do a clean install of Win 10 anyway.  I kind of have to chuckle or weep for those who have had troubles w/ MSFS as over the years I spent countless hours dealing with 'issues' in FSX then P3D, at least until the last two years or so things got very stable for me.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

On 8/28/2020 at 4:58 AM, neil0311 said:

I have P3D v4.5 currently, and am curious whether v5 is a better path at this point or would MSFS be a better path. Not looking for any religion here, just observations from those who’ve used both.

I have a relatively high end machine with a 4K monitor, all about 18 months old.

Future --> MSFS

Past --> P3d

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Future --> MSFS

Past --> P3d

Yup. I agree. The thread is 16 months old, so have more than established that’s the case. 🙂

• Like 1