Sign in to follow this  
TC011

Two attempts to download the sim, no joy

I have made two attempts at downloading and installing the new software package.  Both attempts have ended with me speaking to MS Tech Reps.  The first attempt ended with a no applicable device error message, the second attempt ended with two error different messages.  After the first attempt a MS Tech Rep had me download and install a file that allowed my second attempt to find my device.  I attempted to download and install again but that attempt also ended in failure.  Spoke with another Tech Rep who told be to wait 24-48 hours for a patch that was to be released.  Waited and tried again but I was still unable to complete the download and installation.

My computer has a digital hard drive set in a C;/D; configuration which I can not change.  I am attempting to install the software package on to my D; Drive.  My question is has anybody been successful in downing and installing the software package on to a secondary drive?  It appears that a portion of the download wants to install itself on to my C; Drive.

Has there been any issues in installing the package from the disk set?  If not, may be the disk set is the solution to my problem.

Thanks for the help

Tom

Do you have the MS Store or Steam version?

Were you able to start the Flight Simulator launcher, or can you not even get to that point?

Also, make sure these are true:

- You are on the latest Windows version (non-insider), and all patches installed

- You are logged into a Windows Account tied to a microsoft account

- All Apps in the Microsoft Store have been updated, specifically any Xbox apps

- GPU drivers have been updated

" Both attempts have ended with me speaking to MS Tech Reps ".......... How did you accomplish actually speaking to a rep. Would really love to know...... I am having major problems with the Microsoft Store version.  Downloaded but Basically fails to launch most of the time.

JayDub

Edited by JayDub

31 minutes ago, TC011 said:

I have made two attempts at downloading and installing the new software package.  Both attempts have ended with me speaking to MS Tech Reps.  The first attempt ended with a no applicable device error message, the second attempt ended with two error different messages.  After the first attempt a MS Tech Rep had me download and install a file that allowed my second attempt to find my device.  I attempted to download and install again but that attempt also ended in failure.  Spoke with another Tech Rep who told be to wait 24-48 hours for a patch that was to be released.  Waited and tried again but I was still unable to complete the download and installation.

My computer has a digital hard drive set in a C;/D; configuration which I can not change.  I am attempting to install the software package on to my D; Drive.  My question is has anybody been successful in downing and installing the software package on to a secondary drive?  It appears that a portion of the download wants to install itself on to my C; Drive.

Has there been any issues in installing the package from the disk set?  If not, may be the disk set is the solution to my problem.

Thanks for the help

Tom

Are you downloading over WiFi?

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

41 minutes ago, TC011 said:

My understanding is the Disk Version that is available from Aerosoft is only for the European Market, if you find out otherwise I would be curious because I have only a 8mbps Internet WiFi connection which I fear won't be adequate? Good luck, must be frustrating!

Martin

I spent 3 days after work performing updates, creating accounts downloading all this stuff I don't want, xbox this and that and still couldn't download it so I finally threw in the towel and requested a refund. (and got it)

Lets face it it's summer and I don't have time for that anyway. Hopefully Microsoft will get there word not allowed together and fix this so people can actually play. Out of 4 of us at work waiting for this to come out only 1 of us were able to get it to actually download and work. That's not a very good track record.  I'll give it a try again when is starts raining around here which in the great PNW it won't be long. 

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I have the boxed disc version..Same dissaster.

I'm impressed you actually spoke to someone from microshit.

We just have to wait for a solution from them.

So nice that they keep us informed or make an apology...

2 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

I spent 3 days after work performing updates, creating accounts downloading all this stuff I don't want, xbox this and that and still couldn't download it so I finally threw in the towel and requested a refund. (and got it)

Lets face it it's summer and I don't have time for that anyway. Hopefully Microsoft will get there word not allowed together and fix this so people can actually play. Out of 4 of us at work waiting for this to come out only 1 of us were able to get it to actually download and work. That's not a very good track record.  I'll give it a try again when is starts raining around here which in the great PNW it won't be long. 

I totally agree with you. It's a shame and I don't want Xbox junk on my computer too..

1 minute ago, Rene777 said:

I totally agree with you. It's a shame and I don't want Xbox junk on my computer too..

The xbox apps will be required, as they contain the service interfaces that are needed for MSFS to log you in. If you absolutely do not want the xbox apps, then you'll just have to request a refund, as I don't see them doing anything about it.

3 minutes ago, Rene777 said:

Also, I may be over interpretting, but, this sentence is making it seem like you've been customizing the default windows install by removing apps, etc. You will probably have a bad time running MS games. If you did any significant tweaking of Windows, and want to play FS, I recommend reinstalling windows from scratch, and using Windows without removing or tweaking the core components.

Yeah that is a good point all those service tweaks and stuff people did for FSX and P3D can actually cause problems for MSFS someone else had an issue because they disabled the XBox services.  It may not be a bad idea to just have a standard window install to try and see how it goes.  I installed it both on my desktop and my laptop and didn't have any issues but they have been both standard installs on the primary drive.  May try on my wife's PC see what happens.

Similar problem here. Was stuck at the Microsoft store with the blue bar freezing waiting to install the installer. 3 days later and a windows repair (ouch) everything

was fine.

Looking at the development post "The install process will no longer be blocked when a local user account includes non-ASCII characters" that may be something people can check in the meantime.  

Answering from the top of the message:

Attempts to download are from the MS Store

I do not have an XBOX System

I believe that all of my MS Store Apps are up to date.  I really do not have very many of the Apps

Running Windows 10 64 bit, but I have not downloaded or installed the latest Windows 10 Update.  I always wait for a period of time to let MS put out their patches

Spoke with 3 MS Tech Reps through their instant message feature.  Between the three conversation I was on "line" with them for about 90 minutes.  All three where helpful, but still no success in downloading and install

I use a direct line from by modem/router to my computer.  My download speed is 100 mb

I also had a blue bar, but it stopped after I received the two error messages

I have a various versions of MS Flight Sim dating back into the mid 80's and never had an installation problem

Lastly, if I do not have an XBOX, do I still need to download the various XBOX software elements?

Thanks everybody for your help

Tom