Sign in to follow this  
MatthewS

Tree height fix

For those interested, about a week ago SlidHydra647449 posted a tree height fix over in the official forums. 👏

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-fix-the-tree-trees-height-bug-how-to-guide-with-pics/139607

Not tried it yet, but it sounds like all tree (and other vegetation) species can have their min/max heights configured in a XML file.

Great! 👍

Edited by MatthewS
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Matthew S

Really interesting. I am off fs 2020 for now though. Waiting for vr and choppers so really need the trees cut down 🙂

5 hours ago, MatthewS said:

Not tried it yet, but it sounds like all tree (and other vegetation) species can have their min/max heights configured in a XML file.

I edited the vegetation sizes a few days ago - much better looking than the default, highly recommended.

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

3 hours ago, SierraDelta said:

I edited the vegetation sizes a few days ago - much better looking than the default, highly recommended.

Did you make the vegetation taller? Or shorter?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

3 hours ago, SierraDelta said:

Looks a lot better,thanks heaps

• Like 1

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

I have knocked the maximum sizes down a bit (between 10 and 20 per cent depending on the species).  And it is definitely an improvement to my eyes. 👍

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

21 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

Did you make the vegetation taller? Or shorter?

As posted in the link above: you have to individually reduce the MIN size (in parenthesis), but specially the MAX size (by about 4-5 points). for all the vegation types. 

Some of the values, such as shrub, bushes might need less of a reduction, though.

• Like 2

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Looks great!

Does anyone know what the "frames" parameter is for?

Best regards

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

1 hour ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Can this be done with grass? - thinking all the grass strips have ridiculously long grass

You need Microsoft Lawn Mower Simulator for this.  Soon to be in the store I believe! 😀

On a more serious note, there are lots of settings for the various types of flora in there, so I wouldn't be surprised if grass was there.

I also noted they had what looked like RGB shader settings for the trees - that would be useful to implement seasons!  :blink:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 3

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

26 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

I also noted they had what looked like RGB shader settings for the trees - that would be useful to implement seasons!  :blink:

If you look into "10-asobo_species.xml" you find several rgb values for each kind of trees, like b="0.22" g="0.0" r="0.43". My bet is, that these are not for seasonal coloring (which would be done with shaders) but that there are raster files somewhere in the fs-base-cgl folder (kind of vegetation map) where it is color coded which kind of trees has to grow on a "pixel".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MatthewS said:

For those interested, about a week ago SlidHydra647449 posted a tree height fix over in the official forums. 👏

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-fix-the-tree-trees-height-bug-how-to-guide-with-pics/139607

Great! 👍

I seriously thought that you would be the first person on this planet to try this fix 😆👍🏻

• Like 5

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

I have gone in to both the Biomes and the Species files and made changes. This works well. In regards to grass, I hope someone can find the parameters for this. I would agree that the grass might need to be trimmed a bit. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

1 minute ago, MikeT707 said:

I have gone in to both the Biomes and the Species files and made changes. This works well. In regards to grass, I hope someone can find the parameters for this. I would agree that the grass might need to be trimmed a bit. 

In the original post there are people saying that this causes problems with floating trees. Basically the length of the tree is centered around the middle of it, and by reducing the height you also pull the bottom of the tree up - making it appear to be floating.

Have you seen this problem?

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //