Sign in to follow this  
MatthewS

Tree height fix

23 hours ago, kelvinr said:

Tree editing tool i've just been made aware of.

https://github.com/cnorton-webdev/FS2020_Tree_Editor/releases/tag/v1.2.0

Thanks for the link. I tried to get it to work but the app keeps saying asking for the install location. I tried everywhere

C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\packages\Community

and

C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\packages\Community\official\Onestore\fs-base\vegetation

These are a few, I tried elsewhere but nodda. Do you or anyone here know how to run the Tree_Editor?

Get version 1.0 on the Github page not 1.1 or 1.2 as they both have the issue you are talking about.

29 minutes ago, Sticks said:

Thanks for the link. I tried to get it to work but the app keeps saying asking for the install location. I tried everywhere

C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\packages\Community

and

C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\packages\Community\official\Onestore\fs-base\vegetation

These are a few, I tried elsewhere but nodda. Do you or anyone here know how to run the Tree_Editor?

I think you just need to point it to your main MSFS install, not the community folder?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

2 hours ago, kelvinr said:

Get version 1.0 on the Github page not 1.1 or 1.2 as they both have the issue you are talking about.

Thanks a lot. I grabbed v1.0. So far so good. 👍

2 hours ago, scotchegg said:

I think you just need to point it to your main MSFS install, not the community folder?

No, I tried that and a few other routes. Kelvinr pointed out that the version I was using (1.2) is bugged and suggested v1.0 and it worked.

2 hours ago, Sticks said:

Thanks a lot. I grabbed v1.0. So far so good. 👍

No problems. Happy to help.

I got 1.2 to work eventually after pointing it all the way to C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\fs-base\vegetation\10-asobo_species.xml.

I had to actually select the 10-asobo_species.xml file.

Glenn

On 8/31/2020 at 12:38 AM, glennav8r said:

I got 1.2 to work eventually after pointing it all the way to C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\fs-base\vegetation\10-asobo_species.xml.

I had to actually select the 10-asobo_species.xml file.

Glenn

I had tried that several times w/1.2. But when I got to the vegetation folder intent on selecting the 10-asobo file, oddly, I couldn't go any further.

So I had a response from the dev and he told me that you need to point to the install location where the community folder is and not the fs-base vegetation folder. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kelvinr said:

So I had a response from the dev and he told me that you need to point to the install location where the community folder is and not the fs-base vegetation folder. 

This is correct.  V1.2 worked straight off the bat for me.

Just show it the root MFSF2020 folder (with the 'community' and 'official' folders inside it) and it sorts out the rest of the path.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Has Asobo adjusted the tree heights in Patch 5, or are people still finding value in these mod tweaks?  I applied the mod some months ago, and wondering what the current state of play is.

According to CptLukcy8 if you make the trees smaller, the tree draw distance will be smaller as well. I made then 20% bigger and I can see the trees appearing at bigger distance. 

Please stop resurrecting zombie threads that confuse everyone. Start a new thread so that we know that you continue to have issues. 

7 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Please stop resurrecting zombie threads that confuse everyone. Start a new thread so that we know that you continue to have issues. 

?

Rob asked if the tree height mods were still relevant, nothing about having problems. And it was very relevant to the thread whether the last post was a couple months ago, a couple years ago or a couple decades ago! I'd much rather have fewer threads with on topic discussion than multiple threads spread all over the place on the same topic.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

James

On 11/7/2020 at 2:47 AM, Steku said:

According to CptLukcy8 if you make the trees smaller, the tree draw distance will be smaller as well. I made then 20% bigger and I can see the trees appearing at bigger distance. 

This is actually CptLucky8  , here is the discussion:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/lod-problems-trees-fix-revisited/296923

This is a not exactly a feature, rather an optimization feature. The discussion is pushing the trees settings in different directions in order to highlight a limitation with the implementation which is actually cutting trees too close to the aircraft than expected. A side effect is if you're comfortable with higher trees than reality, which shouldn't be too much distracting anyhow above a certain height, you can increase the trees rendering distance in exploiting the optimization to your advantage.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)