Sign in to follow this  
Schorle

Big FPS boost on my system doing this

I'm a little bit surprised I have not seen this on this forum (or maybe I'm blind...).

Just qouting official Asobo forum. On my system I'm gaining around 15 FPS using Airliners:

It’s super easy to try and you don’t risk to break anything in the sim. The file to edit can be found here:

MS Store version:
C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_RANDOMCODE\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\asobo-vcockpits-instruments\html_ui\Pages\VCockpit\Instruments\Shared\BaseInstrument.js

OR

%localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_RANDOMCODE\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\asobo-vcockpits-instruments\html_ui\Pages\VCockpit\Instruments\Shared\BaseInstrument.js

Steam version:
C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_RANDOMCODE\LocalCache\Packages\Official\Steam\asobo-vcockpits-instruments\html_ui\Pages\VCockpit\Instruments\Shared\BaseInstrument.js

OR

%localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_RANDOMCODE\LocalCache\Packages\Official\Steam\asobo-vcockpits-instruments\html_ui\Pages\VCockpit\Instruments\Shared\BaseInstrument.js

To edit the BaseInstrument.js file I suggest to use a code editor as Notepad++ or Sublime Text (both free). Backup the file making a copy on your desktop to restore it in case you encounter any problem.

This is the part to be edited (line 235 in my case but may be different):

CanUpdate() {
        var quality = this.getQuality();
        if (quality == Quality.medium) {
            if ((this.frameCount % 8) != 0) {
                return false;
            }
        }
        else if (quality == Quality.low) {
            if ((this.frameCount % 32) != 0) {
                return false;
            }
        }
        else if (quality == Quality.hidden) {
            if ((this.frameCount % 128) != 0) {
                return false;
            }
        }
        else if (quality == Quality.disabled) {
            return false;
        }
        return true;
    }

and overwrite it to his new code:

CanUpdate() {
        var quality = this.getQuality();
        if (quality == Quality.high) {
            if ((this.frameCount % 3) != 0) {
                return false;
            }
        }    
        if (quality == Quality.medium) {
            if ((this.frameCount % 8) != 0) {
                return false;
            }
        }
        else if (quality == Quality.low) {
            if ((this.frameCount % 32) != 0) {
                return false;
            }
        }
        else if (quality == Quality.hidden) {
            if ((this.frameCount % 128) != 0) {
                return false;
            }
        }
        else if (quality == Quality.disabled) {
            return false;
        }
        return true;
    }    

All that is changing is that you are adding in these lines:

if (quality == Quality.high) {
if ((this.frameCount % 3) != 0) {
return false;
}

which are setting a refresh rate of the screens when in the cockpit (quality = high) and it’s setting a division of your screen refresh rate (144/3, or 60/3 or 120/3, whatever) and you can change that ‘3’ to be whatever you want. The higher the number, the smaller the end refresh will be and the better performance you should get but the more choppy the little screens will refresh.

Hope this helps some people to get better FPS. Surely helped me a lot!

• Like 11
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Schorle said:

I'm a little bit surprised I have not seen this on this forum (or maybe I'm blind...).

Second option I'm worried...

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

1 minute ago, Schorle said:

Ok. I am blind. Pls disregard. Mods pls delete this thread. Thx!

Don't take people here too personally. Thanks for this i haven't saw it as well.

• Like 4

Roi Ben

Thanks for posting this.  It is very clear and I am going to give it a go.

As roi1862 has stated.  Don't take things too personally as some people seem to lack patience and respect lately (although the above is probably more like lighthearted sarcasm I think), but there are still plenty of good folks here! 👍

I can't blame you for missing it as there is so much activity here due to the new sim, and the posts get shuffled down very quickly.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

It's been posted everywhere and it works. On 60Hz, setting it to 3 will update the displays at 20Hz, which is borderline OK in the Airbus.

• Like 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

My intent was to be lighthearted as the OP was in writing "or maybe I'm blind".

No intention to be sarcastic or rude in any way.

Sorry if this passed through. English is not my mother language either...

Edited by Marco Manieri
  • Like 3

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

2 minutes ago, Marco Manieri said:

No problem. All is fine, nobody got hurt 🙂

• Like 1

For 60hz screen, I found 2.5 to be balanced between performance and display refresh rate. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

15 minutes ago, Marco Manieri said:

Our European sense of humour, which is sometimes involves light hearted sarcasm, can be misunderstood sometimes.  I love it, but it got me into trouble in Florida!  😄

On another note, I can't wait to try this little modification. 

If the displays lag too much afterwards, is it possible to alter the setting from 3 to 2?

Ignore the above question, kindly answered by omarsmak as our posts crossed.  I will try 2.5.  👍  

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

The list of possible places to find the file to be modified is missing one option.

I chose to put the files for the simulator during installation on my G: drive in a folder FS2020 and this is where the file to be modified is stored.

I look in
G:\FS2020\Official\OneStore\asobo-vcockpits-instruments\html_ui\Pages\VCockpit\Instruments\Shared\BaseInstrument.js

• Like 1

Regards

Trevor

57 minutes ago, Schorle said:

Ok. I am blind. Pls disregard. Mods pls delete this thread. Thx!

Nothing wrong with posting something useful twice when we have dozens of threads with the same useless discussions spamming several pages on avsim.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 4

So having 50HZ(60FPS LIMIT IN MSFS) and NCP set at 25FPS what would be a good value ?

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

51 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

It's been posted everywhere and it works. On 60Hz, setting it to 3 will update the displays at 20Hz, which is borderline OK in the Airbus.

If you read through the post linked and I know why your thinking its about Hz because, I did also, thats what was talked about but its about FPS not Hz. That is a huge diffrence.

I would love it to be Hz as mine is 120hz but it works of you FPS, read the other post and please correct me if I am wrong.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

19 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

If you read through the post linked and I know why your thinking its about Hz because, I did also, thats what was talked about but its about FPS not Hz. That is a huge diffrence.

I would love it to be Hz as mine is 120hz but it works of you FPS, read the other post and please correct me if I am wrong.

I am very positive it's Hz. I run 60Hz and the modulator is set to 3 - the displays update at 20FPS (I can tell). If it was FPS, it would be updating 10 times a sec and be extremely choppy.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB