Sign in to follow this  
Age_27

Meigs Field

Let us not forget from where or whence we came ..

BAFE39-A6-1328-498-C-8949-04-CCAD327-F97

Old versions gone but not forgotten .. xo

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

Oh the horrors that place has seen lol , crashed there so many times..

Edited by SirDan
  • Like 6

It's THE flagship airfield of the franchise and I always hope that MS will bring it back into the sim in full glory.

I feel it SHOULD be in there with every version of the sim, just like a Cessna should always be included for the same reasons.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, hangar said:

It's THE flagship airfield of the franchise

Future DLC  in coming in 3 2 

Edited by SirDan
  • Like 1

It would be a fitting tribute if orbx brought their version into the new sim.

KCMI Champaign will always be the home airport for me as I’m from the cassette generation.

FLYT simulations are working on KCMI for x-plane, I’m hoping they’ll also bring it toMSFS too as they’ve just brought over their Franca field to FS, which is very good by the way and reasonably priced.

In the mean time the default KCMI is actually quite good.

• Like 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

There should definitely be an option to have it back how it was. It's the most legendary field in the entire Flight Simulator world. I think everyone who flew the old versions of FS must, for their very first flight, have flown off there and then headed straight over to those big skyscrapers for a look at them and then on the way back, weighed up whether they could land on the field of that nearby stadium.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I’m pretty sure we will be departing and landing at Meigs within this sim in the not too distant future!

Edited by Doering
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

Just now, Doering said:

I’m pretty sure we will be departing and landing at Meigs within this sim in the not too distance future!

You can already do it today, there's an addon for Meigs: 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, hangar said:

Author didnt put any install instructions...do we just drop the entire folder that's inside his zip into our Community folder?

Yes, the folder inside the ZIP goes into the Community folder. It's not quite finished though, the creator still has to get rid of the water.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the rendering of Meigs Field is close to being accurate in the real  world?  I thought it was supposed to be turned into some kind of park, or at least for mixed use?  Now, after all these years it looks like a dump.

If anyone recalls, in 2003, Mayor Daley sent bulldozers to Meigs in the middle of the night and absolutley destroyed the runway - no notice was give to the owners of aircraft  already parked there  (to allow them to fly them out).  This was a violation of FAA rules.  Daily's excuse at the time was the airport was "not safe" anymore in view of the events of 9/11(?)  Perhaps it was more the case of Chicago politics as usual?   

Edited by overspeed3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chock said:

weighed up whether they could land on the field of that nearby stadium.

I think that would be Soldier Field where the Chicago Bears (NFL) play.

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

What they did to that airport IRL is unforgivable, I was so shocked when I first heard about it. Unbelievable. 

I hear many small airports in America face a similar fate as local govt wants to turn them into parks, business or residential areas.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chock said:

weighed up whether they could land on the field of that nearby stadium.

56 minutes ago, Doering said:

I think that would be Soldier Field where the Chicago Bears (NFL) play.

Hey, keep off the grass! Bears fan here.😉

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)